Thread Rating:

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
July 28th, 2020 at 1:47:16 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I'm pretty sure that they can edit/remove any non-mod posts. I'd imagine they could suspend accounts as well.

They could also Edit/Remove the posts of other Mods, but they wouldn't be Secret Mods for very much longer if they did that.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
July 28th, 2020 at 1:48:14 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

My understanding has always been that they are there to help clean up spam posts, but otherwise don’t want to be identified as a mod.

To narrow it down, I took a few screenshots a year or two ago when I noticed some spam posts getting nuked, yet no mods were online. I think I know who one is, but didn’t really bother investigating much.

If it was mostly Spam threads disappearing, it was probably me.

ADDED: I'm not really a, 'Secret Mod,' though because I freely admit that I have the ability to edit/delete posts. But, that's the only thing I do aside from banning spammers. You could straight cuss someone out and I would take no action and also not PM a Moderator about it because it is none of my business or concern. I also can edit articles, which most other mods could not do...and that's even if they knew WHERE you go to do that...which they probably don't. There was no easy way to strip me of the ability to edit/delete posts without also stripping me of the ability to edit articles. But, there are some things that Greenies can do (seeing IP addresses is one example) that I can no longer do.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
August 1st, 2020 at 11:11:23 AM permalink

Who is serin2 ? Is this from long ago or from the last four months.

He seemed polite enough but did seem to know his way around the forum too well.
Last edited by: MDawg on Aug 1, 2020
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
August 1st, 2020 at 12:26:36 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

Who is serin2 ? Is this from long ago or from the last four months.

He seemed polite enough but did seem to know his way around the forum too well.

You might know him better as serin. Booted for joining and immediately dissing the moderation here. I suspected he was a sock even then. There are others in my cross hairs with similar characteristics.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
August 1st, 2020 at 12:48:40 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

What does a secret moderator do? Just alert a non-secret moderator when there is a problem? I mean, that's kind of bogus, isn't it?

I think I have asked this same question when this was brought up before.

I don’t see the point because all posts are public.

I guess maybe secret mods can "sting" people trying to sell some kind of system or player card via PM? But even that is a stretch....
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 1st, 2020 at 1:08:21 PM permalink
I don't have a problem with secret mods, and I enjoy Missions posts, but when someone resigns as a mod after a very public discussion and is made a secret moderator, the whole process stinks.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Mission146
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 1:24:04 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I don't have a problem with secret mods, and I enjoy Missions posts, but when someone resigns as a mod after a very public discussion and is made a secret moderator, the whole process stinks.

I mentioned in the thread where I resigned that I'd still have edit privileges, I'm pretty sure.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 1:25:54 PM permalink

... when someone resigns as a mod after a very public discussion and is made a secret moderator, the whole process stinks.

It would, but that hasn't happened!
As mission has explained, he retains certain mod powers because it's technically difficult to remove them while he retains the powers to create and edit articles, something that he did/does on a paid basis.
I'm not aware of Mission using any moderator priv's since he resigned that roll. I've not even known him to PM any other mod with concerns about any post or member.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Mission146
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 1:34:52 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

It would, but that hasn't happened!
As mission has explained, he retains certain mod powers because it's technically difficult to remove them while he retains the powers to create and edit articles, something that he did/does on a paid basis.
I'm not aware of Mission using any moderator priv's since he resigned that roll. I've not even known him to PM any other mod with concerns about any post or member.

That's correct, and I'm pretty sure I mentioned it more than once before. The only Moderator privilege I use is that I delete blatant spam and ban the spammer simply because there is no reason to let Spam stay up. I sometimes don't even do that because I don't notice it all, due to not reading every thread.

But, if there are six threads on the Recent Threads list all created by the same new user and they are all Spamming, I should hope that nobody would take exception to my deleting those. Honestly, if it was just one and the thread title didn't interest me, I probably wouldn't notice it.
Mission146
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 1:37:51 PM permalink
Another thing, which some people might consider obvious: Were I a Secret Administrator, I would not post that I have moderation abilities.
billryan
billryan
August 1st, 2020 at 1:51:51 PM permalink
So there are Secret Administrators as well as Secret Mods?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Mission146
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 1:57:52 PM permalink

???

What would the difference be? Everything is called an Administrator, "Moderator," is just the term used by most websites. They're interchangeable.

Basically, the site has Administrators (Green), Secret Administrators (blue and do Moderation) and then me who has moderator capabilities and does not use them except for article-related stuff and to delete spam.

I assure you, I actually wanted all of my Moderation powers stripped EXCEPT for articles, but there's no easy way to do that. That being the case, there's no logical reason why I shouldn't delete a group of Spam threads and delete the Spammer, if I happen to see them. I can stop Nuking Spam if you really want me to.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 2:05:49 PM permalink

I don't even know what that means. There are moderators who are described in some places as 'administrator', whose Id shows as green.
I understand that there MAY BE different ranks of administrators who MAY have greater permissions such as promoting members to admins, There are some techy guys with zod only knows what privs: They will be able to access servers through terminal windows.
There's Mission146 who has certain editing priv's and doesnt show as green and there are a small number of secret mods, who have enhanced privs but show as blue.
And there are members. The most important role of all $:o)

Oh. And there are non-members and ex-members.
Mission146
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 2:11:03 PM permalink
And, just to be clear: Suppose I'm reading an article and I notice that I made a minor math mistake, okay, I go through a certain backdoor and I just edit my mistake. If I couldn't do that, then I'd have to send an E-Mail just to request that the article be edited, would have to contain a link to the article, would have to copy/paste the section to be replaced and then include what I am replacing it with.

So, it would be a less than a minute process turned into probably a day or more. That is why it was important that I keep article editing permissions. I also wouldn't have to copy/paste anything, because I can make the edit directly on the backdoor page.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
Thanked by
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 2:25:53 PM permalink
Let it be said I have no problem with Mission as a mod or secret mod.

I'm pretty certain he was a victim the way con artists do to use unsuspecting accomplices.

And the public discussion over why he resigned had to do with me so I feel in this case my opinion is stronger
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Mission146
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 2:28:47 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Let it be said I have no problem with Mission as a mod or secret mod.

I'm pretty certain he was a victim the way con artists do to use unsuspecting accomplices.

And the public discussion over why he resigned had to do with me so I feel in this case my opinion is stronger

Thanks for saying so, but I'm neither a mod or a secret mod. If I were a secret mod, then I'm doing a really terrible job at it. In any event, if BillRyan or anyone has a problem with me deleting blatant spam posts and banning the spammer, then I'll stop doing it. It honestly makes no difference to me whether I do it or not, just trying to keep the Recent Threads list tidy.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 2:52:20 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I'm pretty sure that they can edit/remove any non-mod posts. I'd imagine they could suspend accounts as well.

They can do all the same things a full moderator can do. They only difference is their forum name is in blue.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 3:18:33 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Another thing, which some people might consider obvious: Were I a Secret Administrator, I would not post that I have moderation abilities.

You were the one who brought up Secret Administrators.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 3:24:53 PM permalink

Thanks for saying so, but I'm neither a mod or a secret mod. If I were a secret mod, then I'm doing a really terrible job at it. In any event, if BillRyan or anyone has a problem with me deleting blatant spam posts and banning the spammer, then I'll stop doing it. It honestly makes no difference to me whether I do it or not, just trying to keep the Recent Threads list tidy.

I don't like the fact that there are secret moderators, or administrators, or prize patrol participants. Mike does, and it's his bat and ball.
Mission was one of my favorite moderators, but I think he did the right thing by resigning.
Mission146
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 3:51:49 PM permalink

You were the one who brought up Secret Administrators.

No, I didn't. Someone asked why there are Secret Administrators and I answered it to the best of my knowledge.
Mission146
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 3:53:39 PM permalink

I don't like the fact that there are secret moderators, or administrators, or prize patrol participants. Mike does, and it's his bat and ball.
Mission was one of my favorite moderators, but I think he did the right thing by resigning.

Thanks for saying so! In any case, I wouldn't even think of me as a Secret Admin if I were you. I literally do nothing Administratively and have no input except to delete spam. Just yesterday, someone posted the same question in seven or eight different threads and I did nothing about it. I even answered him in one of the threads just to be cute.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 6:59:03 PM permalink

No, I didn't. Someone asked why there are Secret Administrators and I answered it to the best of my knowledge.

Not really. We were discussing Secret Mods and you referenced Secret Mods several times and then said you were not a Secret Administrator. You later clarified they were interchangeable terms, but your original post made it seem like a different layer of bureaucracy .
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 8:31:15 PM permalink
A couple things to say:

1. Secret moderators are not only allowed to lie about being one, they are expected to.
2. That purpose of that position is mostly a stepping stone to being a full green moderator. However, some have never asked for that promotion. Greens are held to a higher standard and I think some secret mods don't want to be held to it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Mission146
Mission146
August 2nd, 2020 at 4:52:09 AM permalink

Not really. We were discussing Secret Mods and you referenced Secret Mods several times and then said you were not a Secret Administrator. You later clarified they were interchangeable terms, but your original post made it seem like a different layer of bureaucracy .

I fail to see how that constitutes, “Bringing it up,” when my original presence in this thread was to answer the question of why there are Secret Administrators, but whatever you like.

In fact, the ONLY reason that I brought up the moderation abilities that I retained is BECAUSE it seemed proper to disclose them (again) if I’m even going to be talking about Secret Admins. IOW, I brought it up specifically because I’m doing the exact opposite of trying to hide it.
MDawg
MDawg
Thanked by
Mission146
August 2nd, 2020 at 1:36:43 PM permalink
How secret?
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Mission146
August 2nd, 2020 at 1:47:49 PM permalink
Just want to voice strong support for Mission in whatever role he wants to play.

Mission, please don't alter what you do because one member objects to it. Remember that in any large group there will almost always be people who are very negative and critical about almost everything & everyone around them. Just consider such negative people to be part of "life's rich pageant," and move forward with confidence that almost everyone else respects you greatly.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Mission146
Mission146
August 2nd, 2020 at 2:13:38 PM permalink

Just want to voice strong support for Mission in whatever role he wants to play.

Mission, please don't alter what you do because one member objects to it. Remember that in any large group there will almost always be people who are very negative and critical about almost everything & everyone around them. Just consider such negative people to be part of "life's rich pageant," and move forward with confidence that almost everyone else respects you greatly.

Thanks for the support!

I’m not really worried about it, as to the rest. If even one person objects to me deleting spam, then I’ll stop doing it. I’m not doing it for my sake, so it doesn’t really matter to me whether I do it or not. Thanks again for your kind words!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
Mission146SanchoPanza
August 2nd, 2020 at 3:50:45 PM permalink

If even one person objects to me deleting spam, then I’ll stop doing it. I’m not doing it for my sake, so it doesn’t really matter to me whether I do it or not. Thanks again for your kind words!

THIS is what I don't get about you! If 99 out of 100 members are HAPPY you still delete spam, but one fringe jerk doesn't want you to clear the junk, why would you let the the one jerk prevent you from helping out the entire forum? If I were in your shoes I would do what was best for the forum, unless Wiz or BBB or OD told me not to. At a minimum, before I stopped doing the noble work that you have been thanklessly doing, I'd ask a greenie if they wanted me to stop.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
Thanked by
Mission146
August 2nd, 2020 at 3:54:35 PM permalink
Why does anyone even care about this??? Move on.
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 3rd, 2020 at 1:05:49 PM permalink
Feeling generous in only giving USPaperGames 3 days in spite of previous suspension.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/info/rules/5288-suspension-list/#post71165

Maybe not so lenient next time.
MDawg
MDawg
August 3rd, 2020 at 1:22:39 PM permalink
O.

I thought you were going to say that he's Serin. Seems that most everyone is, these days.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
CrystalMath
August 3rd, 2020 at 5:37:38 PM permalink
USPaperGames' posts are the most arrogant posts I have ever seen in this forum. That's not a bannable offense, but it is remarkable.

To say that no one in the WOV Forum is as good at combination math as he is - without even having a sense of who is who in this forum - is regrettable. (I am picking my words carefully, so that I don't insult UsPaperGames and get banned myself!)
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
August 3rd, 2020 at 10:34:03 PM permalink

USPaperGames' posts are the most arrogant posts I have ever seen in this forum.

I guess you have not been paying attention to some of the other BS'ers on the forum🤐 .
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
100xOdds
August 4th, 2020 at 12:52:03 AM permalink
USPapergames suspension refreshed and extended to 14 days for coming back as a sock 'MadMath' and using that sock to rant.

This is how he behaves after I refrained from martingaling his 2nd offence to 7 days.

14 days rather than the usual 7 for abusing my leniency. Next similar infraction likely to be a nuke.
Even this one might be increased to nuke if other mods object.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
August 4th, 2020 at 5:25:04 AM permalink

USPapergames suspension refreshed and extended to 14 days for coming back as a sock 'MadMath' and using that sock to rant.

This is how he behaves after I refrained from martingaling his 2nd offence to 7 days.

14 days rather than the usual 7 for abusing my leniency. Next similar infraction likely to be a nuke.
Even this one might be increased to nuke if other mods object.

Multiple accounts should automatically be a nuke.

We don’t need more Nathans stinking the place up.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 4th, 2020 at 7:15:33 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

Multiple accounts should automatically be a nuke.

We don’t need more Nathans stinking the place up.

Thanks for your feedback.
I certainly agree with the 2nd sentence.
MDawg
MDawg
August 4th, 2020 at 7:24:34 AM permalink
He didn't try to hide his identity though.

Still, it was only three days. He could have said whatever he had to say after three days. Three days is nothing. I was gone four months and after about a month I stopped even viewing this forum for any reason.
darkoz
darkoz
August 4th, 2020 at 7:37:20 AM permalink

He didn't try to hide his identity though.

Still, it was only three days. He could have said whatever he had to say after three days. Three days is nothing. I was gone four months and after about a month I stopped even viewing this forum for any reason.

Not to call you out but you stopped viewing this forum and magically knew the exact day your suspension was lifted?

It's not always precise especially after 4 months when the mods are more forgetful.

Something tells me you were checking at least every day in July.

Go ahead you can tell us. I admit to doing the same when I get suspended
MDawg
MDawg
August 4th, 2020 at 7:41:30 AM permalink
No I put it on my calendar long ago. 🤓 About a week before, the Wizard and I emailed each other and shot the breeze a bit.

As I've also mentioned, there's really no need to even read this forum if not participating in it. Those other sites I was participating in give a decent play by play summary in their "WOV threads." You know this - you've been on the other sites too.
darkoz
darkoz
August 4th, 2020 at 8:01:12 AM permalink

No I put it on my calendar long ago. 🤓 About a week before, the Wizard and I emailed each other and shot the breeze a bit.

As I've also mentioned, there's really no need to even read this forum if not participating in it. Those other sites I was participating in give a decent play by play summary in their "WOV threads." You know this - you've been on the other sites too.

Okay fair enough.

I do admit to checking my status though when suspended. Nothing wrong with it imo.

As for WOV summaries like...

"Dark is a piece of *#$&&". He just claimed he did xyz play which is total BS(spelled out naturally)"

And "Hey I see KJ post on WOV now, he is such a (insert male rooster name here)"

If you count that as daily WOV summaries then you are about right

(No offense to KJ intended but I do see they talk about him and me mostly.)
MDawg
MDawg
August 4th, 2020 at 8:04:43 AM permalink
Well, I took a look yesterday and they seem to be talking about me too. So, just accept it as flattery in the form of imitation, or some such, I suppose.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 4th, 2020 at 11:03:55 AM permalink

As I've also mentioned, there's really no need to even read this forum if not participating in it.

Sadly. that seems to be becoming true. There used to be a lot of good posts that could educate people about gambling and AP. It seems this forum has become a lot more social with very little gambling discussions anymore.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 640
August 4th, 2020 at 11:44:07 AM permalink

O.

I thought you were going to say that he's Serin. Seems that most everyone is, these days.

who is Serin?
the suspension list doesnt list him
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
darkoz
darkoz
August 4th, 2020 at 12:01:23 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Sadly. that seems to be becoming true. There used to be a lot of good posts that could educate people about gambling and AP. It seems this forum has become a lot more social with very little gambling discussions anymore.

When someone posts really informative AP info (like myself) they get excoriated
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
ChesterDogOnceDear
August 23rd, 2020 at 2:41:54 PM permalink
a Suggestion for handling off topic violations, particularly when they're gambling related.

Tell, main participants - you each get two more posts to argue, so make them good, because any more after that, you get an automatic 7 days ban.

-
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 23rd, 2020 at 3:00:28 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

a Suggestion for handling off topic violations, particularly when they're gambling related.

Tell, main participants - you each get two more posts to argue, so make them good, because any more after that, you get an automatic 7 days ban.

-

It's an idea, so I'll think about it. But sometimes, threads drift off topic and it's difficult and can be harsh to impose penalties for what is little more than conversational drift, Main participants in a topic violation are not always clearly defined. I prefer not to suspend for such events if they can be steered back. Indeed, I prefer not to suspend, period. Less is more.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
August 23rd, 2020 at 3:06:51 PM permalink

. Less is more.

In that case, you should give me all your money.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 23rd, 2020 at 3:20:00 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

In that case, you should give me all your money.

Wouldn't want to ruin your life!
I do owe you a beer for introducing me to the Z-snap.
Mission146
Mission146
September 2nd, 2020 at 9:47:08 AM permalink
Does anybody know why BillRyan was banned? I looked at a few of his recent posts and nothing jumped out at me.
darkoz
darkoz
September 2nd, 2020 at 9:56:34 AM permalink

Does anybody know why BillRyan was banned? I looked at a few of his recent posts and nothing jumped out at me.

I saw a few insults imo thrown by him this last week.

That might be it
  • Jump to: