Thread Rating:

redietz
redietz
Joined: Jun 5, 2019
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 457
January 8th, 2020 at 4:30:59 PM permalink
I was considering, when I have time, doing an "Adventures of Redietz" that would be a parody of the "Adventures of MDawg" thread. I was wondering if this kind of sarcasm is frowned upon or against any kind of rule. I would probably not get around to it until late spring, but please let me know if a parallel-style parody would be considered ad hominem. I feel parody is the opposite of ad hominem, but one never knows how others feel about sarcasm.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
Puckerbutt
Puckerbutt
Joined: Sep 24, 2013
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 173
Thanks for this post from:
PokerGrinderAxelWolfJoeman
January 8th, 2020 at 5:12:57 PM permalink
I was thinking the MDawg thread was already a self-parody - just minus the lucky monkeys.
If'n I'd a knowed you wanted to have went with me - I'd a seen that you got to get to go.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 4458
January 8th, 2020 at 5:20:13 PM permalink
Quote: redietz

I was considering, when I have time, doing an "Adventures of Redietz" that would be a parody of the "Adventures of MDawg" thread. I was wondering if this kind of sarcasm is frowned upon or against any kind of rule. I would probably not get around to it until late spring, but please let me know if a parallel-style parody would be considered ad hominem. I feel parody is the opposite of ad hominem, but one never knows how others feel about sarcasm.

I'm not aware of any ruling on that. I'd probably welcome an 'Anti-winner' to re-balance the universe. I can see it now, bleating about losing streaks and showing redacted images of your pawn-broker stubs.
But I can see it become a bit of a problem if two opposing threads dominated the forum... Rather than the one outrageous fantastical adventure that's currently popular.
It would surely become a focal point for mischief and suspensions, which would be unfortunate.
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 4458
January 8th, 2020 at 5:23:54 PM permalink
Quote: Puckerbutt

I was thinking the MDawg thread was already a self-parody - just minus the lucky monkeys.

I'm still hopeful that MDawg really is a fabulously rich guy, with the integrity to keep posting when his (literally) incredible lucky streak unravels.
Not holding my breath though.
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
coachbelly
coachbelly
Joined: Oct 21, 2013
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 298
January 8th, 2020 at 5:32:44 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

I'm still hopeful that MDawg really is a fabulously rich guy, with the integrity to keep posting when his (literally) incredible lucky streak unravels.



You emphasized "incredible". The first definition I found for incredible is "impossible to believe".

Are you hoping that his lucky streak unravels, expecting his lucky streak to unravel, or just questioning his integrity?
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
January 8th, 2020 at 5:35:21 PM permalink
I recall in the past that the Wizard had a laissez-faire attitude toward these types of posts with the caveat that the personal insult rule would still be enforced. The line is pretty thin.

Hehe... At the end of this road, it may just be DarkOz, MDawg and EvenBob making it through the carnage...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 4458
January 8th, 2020 at 6:03:00 PM permalink
Quote: coachbelly

Are you hoping that his lucky streak unravels, expecting his lucky streak to unravel, or questioning his integrity?

Hoping? Yes. Call me jealous or mean spirited, but regardless of my humble opinion, it would do a service to visitors to this site to see him give testimony that even a wealthy lawyer can be seduced by the gamblers fallacy. An object lesson in reality asserting itself.

Expecting: Absolutely. I accept the possibility that he really has had a fantastic (unbelievable to many) lucky streak, maybe made possible by staking absurdly high bankroll ( A player with massive bankroll should surely expect to get significantly ahead )

Questioning his integrity? No. I find some of his posts more or less believable than others. I don't know how much he believes some of his stated opinions, or how much he's just yanking our chains. I'm hopeful that he is as honest as he is misguided. I doubt, though that he will stick around to post the story of his inevitable fall from grace, because of past precedents with other members who either just faded away, got too engrossed in winning to bother posting, or got to be just too unbelievable.... Or maybe got banned or left for whatever reason.

Mdawg's posts form an interesting story. We just need to know what category to place his work in. Fiction, Humour, Logic, Religion, Metaphysics... The list is pretty long.
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 108
  • Posts: 6908
January 8th, 2020 at 6:05:53 PM permalink
Quote: redietz

I was considering, when I have time, doing an "Adventures of Redietz" that would be a parody of the "Adventures of MDawg" thread. I was wondering if this kind of sarcasm is frowned upon or against any kind of rule. I would probably not get around to it until late spring, but please let me know if a parallel-style parody would be considered ad hominem. I feel parody is the opposite of ad hominem, but one never knows how others feel about sarcasm.



For a while I made parody posts in regards to Nathan, who was obviously a fraud and was later proven as such. I received no suspension. I did receive accolades.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 4458
January 8th, 2020 at 6:06:53 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Hehe... At the end of this road, it may just be DarkOz, MDawg and EvenBob making it through the carnage...

You pretty much defined the objective of a troll: Getting contributors wound up till they got banned.
Would/should Forum managers let that happen?
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 4458
Thanks for this post from:
Ayecarumba
January 8th, 2020 at 6:09:24 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

For a while I made parody posts in regards to Nathan, who was obviously a fraud and was later proven as such. I received no suspension. I did receive accolades.

That saga was ... (insert expletive) (insert adjective) depending on your point of view. $:o)
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..

  • Jump to: