Doc
Doc
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 6873
July 19th, 2019 at 12:23:17 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I use poop, crap, and dump.

Gotta make a pit stop.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 131
  • Posts: 16741
July 19th, 2019 at 12:29:54 PM permalink
@TomG. I haven't been keeping up with this discussion, seems like very wordy posts to long to read nonsense. I just liked your post because I assume you are normally correct and MD is usually wrong.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
kubikulann
kubikulann
Joined: Jun 28, 2011
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 890
July 19th, 2019 at 12:38:15 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Crap is a good one but, for our French poster, generally considered vulgar or crude.

Is it true ‘crap’ is derived from the name of an inventor of toilets, named Thomas Crapper? Or is it just another false etymology ?
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
kubikulann
kubikulann
Joined: Jun 28, 2011
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 890
July 19th, 2019 at 12:40:44 PM permalink
It appears « caca nerveux » is a pun on the term « grossesse nerveuse » = phantom pregnancy, false pregnancy.
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 3469
Thanks for this post from:
kubikulann
July 19th, 2019 at 1:14:08 PM permalink
Quote: kubikulann

Is it true ‘crap’ is derived from the name of an inventor of toilets, named Thomas Crapper? Or is it just another false etymology ?



False etymology.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
Joined: Jun 17, 2011
  • Threads: 29
  • Posts: 1702
July 19th, 2019 at 2:09:40 PM permalink
Quote: kubikulann

Is it true ‘crap’ is derived from the name of an inventor of toilets, named Thomas Crapper? Or is it just another false etymology ?

False - there's an interesting website https://www.etymonline.com/ that has mucho info on most of the words we've been discussing.
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
Joined: Apr 11, 2010
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 549
July 19th, 2019 at 2:10:34 PM permalink
I always liked "An urgent need for a haircut" which I got from Tom and Ray Magliozzi. Extra bonus points if you know who they are.
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies
kubikulann
kubikulann
Joined: Jun 28, 2011
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 890
July 19th, 2019 at 2:18:48 PM permalink
Quote: FCBLComish

I always liked "An urgent need for a haircut" which I got from Tom and Ray Magliozzi. Extra bonus points if you know who they are.

A favourite in Belgium is « going where the King goes on foot ».
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
Face
Administrator
Face
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4361
Thanks for this post from:
HullabalooFCBLComish
July 19th, 2019 at 2:47:06 PM permalink
Quote: FCBLComish

I always liked "An urgent need for a haircut" which I got from Tom and Ray Magliozzi. Extra bonus points if you know who they are.



Well, it's happened again. I wasted a perfectly good minute reading FCBL's post.

Please write out the bonus point question on the side of a 2019 FM Lowe WT and send it to...
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
kubikulann
kubikulann
Joined: Jun 28, 2011
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 890
July 20th, 2019 at 11:48:14 PM permalink
On the subject of profanity.
Did you see that interview where Kellyanne Conway uttered:
« The wall! The wall!… You want to make it a four-letter word! »
Reperiet qui quaesiverit

  • Jump to: