Thread Rating:

tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
August 14th, 2019 at 12:19:11 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

May the WoV rest in peace. Can probably follow the whole site with just a weekly check in soon.

That's mostly what I do now. About 2x a week really. And the only thing that really has tons of posts in those peeks is political stuff. And I fall behind on that because I don't want to read 30 minutes about "I love Trump and Republicans/I hate Trump and Republicans" to catch up.

Quote: EvenBob

I'm still not understanding this. All the
myriad of threads that deal with TV
shows, climate change, how hot is
it today, unicycles, movies, Bitcoin,
on and on. It's still OK to post in
those threads because they aren't
political or religious?

Climate Change is totally political. It's just as bad as a Trump thread. Generally speaking...

Trumpers = Climate Change scientists lie to try to get funding.

Non-Trumpers = Climate Change scientists are like most scientists and try to find the truth.

Quote: JoelDeze

All I can say is thank you. I'm happy with the change. I always liked the "miserable users" add on from vbulletin when I used to build add ons for that software. If a user became a miserable user, they wouldn't be blocked or banned at all. Instead the following happened:

When classed as miserable, a member suffers ;

1. Slow response (time delay) on every page (20 to 60 seconds default).
2. A chance they will get the "server busy" message (50% by default).
3. A chance that no search facilities will be available (75% by default).
4. A chance they will get redirected to another preset page (25% & homepage by default).
5. A chance they will simply get a blank page (25% by default).
6. Post flood limit increased by a defined factor (10 times by default).
7. If they get past all this okay, then they will be served up their proper page.

Yep, that can work.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 17
August 14th, 2019 at 1:51:25 AM permalink
Is the Statue Of Liberty in Vegas being torn down? I've never seen it. I'm betting it's an endangered species now.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 422
August 14th, 2019 at 2:02:02 AM permalink
Quote: Face

EB asked. Felt a duty to answer

And I received a totally different
answer from a mod in a PM.
There you go, then..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
ksdjdj
ksdjdj
  • Threads: 76
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
August 14th, 2019 at 3:40:21 AM permalink
I agree that this site should be mainly about gambling and/or Vegas.
But if the new rule is struck down after the test run , then I think the "Recent Threads" section should be split into "Recent Gambling Threads" and then further down the page, it should have "Recent Non-Gambling Threads".

note: I only read 5 - 6 pages into this thread, so I don't know if someone already mentioned this or a similar idea.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 122
August 14th, 2019 at 5:26:56 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Who cares? I don't think you're really going to have to worry about it much. Most of the free thinkers and individualists are going to move on. I know I won't be doing anything, anymore than maybe checking in once a week to see what's new. Might find a topic or two that interests me a couple times a year but pretty sure that will be it.

"The free thinkers and individualists," wow! I should think so highly of myself one day to describe myself and those I know that way. We're all programmed one way or another and everything that we do and say is nothing more than the response that has been conditioned out of us. Don't get me wrong, there's a probabilistic element such that we might choose from one of two or more with probability a, probability b, probability c (with varying degrees of likelihood and pick one), but that everything we do at a given time is limited to a few select choices is automatic.

Anyway, I guess we'll see you next Wednesday. Have a good week until then.

Quote:

Most people with libertarian mindsets tend not to support a whole lot of groupthink BS. Having to tow some sort of subjective line sounds like misery. Screw that, there's tons of other places to frequent in this world.

It's not very subjective, or, doesn't have to be. Don't discuss politics, sexuality or religion. There. You're inside the line.

Quote:

This site was good because it had rules formed around mutual respect but didn't try to influence subject matter. There was plenty of biased moderation of those rules but it was tolerable. Unfortunately, like most things today, this site will be stepping closer into the world of communism at 8 AM tomorrow morning. You should give members social ratings....lol

Yes, R.I.P. to a relatively good politics forum. Let us now gather and celebrate as a good gambling forum is reborn.

What the hell does Communism have to do with anything? This. Is. Not. A. Politics. Forum. It's a gambling forum. We're not censoring the nature of the political discourse, we're getting rid of it. Go improve the political discussion at DiversityTomorrow if you want something to do, I'm sure Wizard would appreciate you being there.

Even if your number of visits plummets, I should imagine the number of gambling posts you make will be the same. Close to zero.

Quote:

I am thankful that I had the chance to meet some of the great people that I have as a result of this sites existence. I can honestly say that some of the friendships resulting from that have changed my life for the better. I predict this place will become a shadow of its former self. Each additional rule implemented has proven that to be true thus far. This one is a real game changer. That's probably why it was left open to be changed back. It's hard to retreat though once you take that fork in the road.

Yes, whatever would a professional gambler have to discuss on a gambling forum? Vaya con dios and see you next Wednesday.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Mission146
Mission146
rdw4potustringlomane
August 14th, 2019 at 5:36:22 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

That's mostly what I do now. About 2x a week really. And the only thing that really has tons of posts in those peeks is political stuff. And I fall behind on that because I don't want to read 30 minutes about "I love Trump and Republicans/I hate Trump and Republicans" to catch up.

You just caught yourself up, though. I love Trump/I Hate Trump is the entire substance of those threads. My political posts were long and often contain researched information, so only two or three people read those. You really don't have to read the whole thing, just skip to the last page, hit quote on any random post and go from there. I could spend a day talking to a lampost and it would be more responsive to my ideas, the light would turn on and back off eventually. I would take that as an acknowledgment that it was listening.
Mission146
Mission146
ksdjdj
August 14th, 2019 at 5:39:49 AM permalink
Quote: ksdjdj

I agree that this site should be mainly about gambling and/or Vegas.
But if the new rule is struck down after the test run , then I think the "Recent Threads" section should be split into "Recent Gambling Threads" and then further down the page, it should have "Recent Non-Gambling Threads".

note: I only read 5 - 6 pages into this thread, so I don't know if someone already mentioned this or a similar idea.

It's been mentioned. I think the non-gambling shouldn't get a list at all and only get one sub-forum that you have to be logged in to even see, if that ends up happening. My original suggestion was just to keep it off Recent Threads list, but I would definitely go a step further and make it so you have to be logged in to see off-topic threads.

Personally, I hope the new rule never gets struck down.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
August 14th, 2019 at 5:45:12 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

"The free thinkers and individualists," wow! I should think so highly of myself one day to describe myself and those I know that way. We're all programmed one way or another and everything that we do and say is nothing more than the response that has been conditioned out of us. Don't get me wrong, there's a probabilistic element such that we might choose from one of two or more with probability a, probability b, probability c (with varying degrees of likelihood and pick one), but that everything we do at a given time is limited to a few select choices is automatic.

I imagine your life is pretty problematic with that thought process and attitude. Don't worry,,, you're just a victim of your circumstance, you can't help yourself.....lol
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 177
Mission146
August 14th, 2019 at 5:45:44 AM permalink
Wow! 22 pages in less than 24 hours…

I find it interesting and ironic that in this thread, we’re talking about a new rule stating that topics and posts are to remain on topic, yet there are so many replies that are off topic and even the kind that would get deleted based upon this very rule.

That said, I like the new rule, if it could be adhered to.

Death of WoV? I don’t think so. I think will actually help. After all, if most/all of the info here is the kind that people are looking for, more people will look and more people will post.

DT is dead? Not quite. But if all of the traffic here that should be over there starts going there, DT will be a very active forum.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
FleaStiff
FleaStiff 
  • Threads: 264
Mission146
August 14th, 2019 at 5:54:31 AM permalink
Libertarian? Practically al my life.
Would prefer Libertine, though.

I think "the nail" is a difficult target but I do agree that the problem was never with the "i love/hate Trump" but in having those posts repeated time after time in every thread. I could have started a thread with nothing but one word "tunafish" and come back a week later and find a zillion posts about Liberals and Conservatives, Trumpers and Non-Trumpers, Clinton and Obama, global warming, etc.

• Jump to: