Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 26th, 2011 at 9:28:21 AM permalink
In my trip to Oregon last week I encountered a new video poker game called Flush Fever. It involves winning seven Fever Games after any flush. These are unlike free games in that you still have to pay for them. What is different about Fever Games is you win your original bet for every card in the final hand that matches the suit of the initiating flush.

Please have a look at a preview of my Flush Fever page. Any typos or anything unclear?

The return I get is 0.8% less than the one claimed by IGT, which concerns me that I made a mistake somewhere. It look hours of coding to modify my video poker program and handle the Fever Suit bonus. Usually when I make a mistake it isn't in the core program but something simple. If anybody notices anything, please let me know.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
June 26th, 2011 at 9:42:22 AM permalink
Wiz- have you included the fact that you will need a new basic strategy, as flushes are now worth substantially more than before? perhaps using this new strategy is why there is a difference in the return you calculate versus the one calculated by IGT? Also, maybe I do not exactly understand, but if $600 is the max wouldn't you never play more than 6 coins? I believe that you said you could play 8 quarters.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 26th, 2011 at 9:53:39 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Wiz- have you included the fact that you will need a new basic strategy, as flushes are now worth substantially more than before? perhaps using this new strategy is why there is a difference in the return you calculate versus the one calculated by IGT? Also, maybe I do not exactly understand, but if $600 is the max wouldn't you never play more than 6 coins? I believe that you said you could play 8 quarters.

I will at least provide a strategy for initial spins once I'm more comfortable I have not made a mistake somewhere. However, the Fever Spin strategy will likely be too difficult to put in writing. 82% of the Fever Game return is from the Fever Suit bonus. Most of the time you will just try to accumulate cards in that suit. Then again, the game gives advice on what to hold, which is probably correct. In the Oregon Lottery Video Poker thread I speculated it was incorrect in Jacks or Better, but I was proven wrong.

When I did the strategy I added 12 to the value of the flush, straight flush, and royal flush, which is the value of the bonus. In analyzing these games I don't need to actually quantify a strategy, the computer calculates the optimal decision by brute force with every hand.

Good point about the max bet. With 7 or 8 coins the return goes down, due to the royal cap. Unlike the other Oregon Lottery games, they don't make up for being shortchanged on the royal on lower hands.
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
June 26th, 2011 at 12:14:10 PM permalink
Wizard,

I think the problem is how you reported the return. It should be the total wins divided by the total wagers. When there are fever games, it is a common mistake to include the net fever win in the base return by taking the fever winnings and subtracting the fever wager.

I know, however, that it is necessary to calculate the net fever win in order to calculate the correct base game strategy.

base game return calculated using the base pays 0.636992582
p(bonus) =p(Royal, SF, or Flush in base game) 0.025231201
games played per bonus from Wizard 7.98997
return per bonus game from Wizard 2.544267
bonus games played per base game =p(bonus)*games played per bonus 0.20159654
bonus return =bonus games played per base game*return per bonus game 0.512915424
games played per base game =1+bonus games played per base game 1.20159654
total return =base game return + bonus return 1.149908006
RTP =total return/games played per base game 0.956983453
I heart Crystal Math.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 26th, 2011 at 2:15:56 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

I think the problem is how you reported the return. It should be the total wins divided by the total wagers.

Well, hot damn! You're absolutely right. I was indeed calculating the return as the expected win per initial spin. Not that I admit that is wrong, but I can see the merit of basing it on all spins as well. On my site I'll do it both ways. Note that I'm not 0.04% higher than IGT. That is close enough for me. Maybe the 0.04% is from the cap on Fever spins.

Good work, Crystal. I would be proud to buy you lunch if you're ever in Vegas.
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
June 26th, 2011 at 2:36:39 PM permalink
The only thing is see missing from the page is a credit to Crystal ;-)
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
June 26th, 2011 at 4:12:39 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Good work, Crystal. I would be proud to buy you lunch if you're ever in Vegas.

I will try to take you up on that.
I heart Crystal Math.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 26th, 2011 at 5:12:17 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

I will try to take you up on that.

Unlike a Vegas slot ticket, the offer won't expire. I credited you as CrystalMath on my page. Let me know if you prefer something else.
VideoPorker
VideoPorker
  • Threads: 1
October 24th, 2014 at 5:40:38 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I will at least provide a strategy for initial spins once I'm more comfortable I have not made a mistake somewhere. However, the Fever Spin strategy will likely be too difficult to put in writing. 82% of the Fever Game return is from the Fever Suit bonus. Most of the time you will just try to accumulate cards in that suit. Then again, the game gives advice on what to hold, which is probably correct.

I'm very interested so I resurrected this old thread. I would love to know an initial strategy for this game.

I do know that the Bally version will autohold any pair, with only one of the cards having the correct suit, during the bonus rounds.
I always discard the pair and only hold the correct winning suit during bonus rounds.

It will autohold 3 of a kind plus any bonus suit cards too. I generally hold just the 3 of a kind and go for 4th, unless hand has 3 of bonus suit.

Many times it will deal 4 of another suit during the bonus round. I usually go for the new flush, though it usually doesn't hit it.

I assume this is correct play?

What about 2 pair containing 2 bonus suit cards?
I am GAMBLOR!
  • Jump to: