James85
James85
Joined: Nov 8, 2014
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 12
December 3rd, 2019 at 7:01:46 PM permalink
I played the Video Poker at MGM Grand, Bellagio, TL, Flamingo, Venetian.

I was told that the

Jacks or Better has a return of 99.5
gamblingonline com video-poker strategy jacks-or-better/
Deuces wild has a return of RTP of 100.76%
Reference Casino Reports Video Poker

I have played the strategy suggested in the

Wizard of Odds Video Poker Hand Analyzer

Reference wizardofodds com games video-poker

Jacks or Better $0.25 $0.50 $1 Royal Flush - 4000

Deal 1 Jacks or Better 5
Deal 2 Jacks or Better 5
Deal 3 Lost
Deal 4 Lost
Deal 5 Lost
Deal 6 Lost
Deal 7 3 of a Kind 15
Deal 8 Lost
Deal 9 Lost
Deal 10 Lost
.
.
.
.
NO profit, Lost all the money

Deuces Wild $0.25 $0.50 $1 Royal Flush No Deuces - 4000

Deal 1 Lost
Deal 2 Lost
Deal 3 Three of a Kind 5
Deal 4 Lost
Deal 5 Straight 10
Deal 6 Lost
Deal 7 Lost
Deal 8 Lost
Deal 9 Lost
Deal 10 Straight 10
.

.
.
.
NO profit, Lost all the money


Not only this, I have seen few people put in a few hundreds @ Video Poker machines and they all went down in a few minutes.

Compared to Video poker I felt that the Table Black Jack was better, I would some times earn atleast 120% of the money that I have put in.



Were they bad machines? Were the cards not favorable to me on Video Poker? Was it because of a less bank roll? What is a minimum bank roll needed?

I could not figure out what was going wrong,
Any suggestions on the playing? Thanks
ECoaster
ECoaster
Joined: Apr 21, 2014
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 153
December 3rd, 2019 at 7:24:23 PM permalink
You only played 10 hands, which is a tiny sample--- but remember even 9/6 Jacks or Better is a losing game. Plus, a big part of that return % is in the big hands like the royal, straight flush, 4OAK... If you have sessions where you're not getting any of those, you're balance will drop pretty quick.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 145
  • Posts: 18217
December 3rd, 2019 at 7:29:14 PM permalink
Quote: James85

I played the Video Poker at MGM Grand, Bellagio, TL, Flamingo, Venetian.

I was told that the

Jacks or Better has a return of 99.5
gamblingonline com video-poker strategy jacks-or-better/
Deuces wild has a return of RTP of 100.76%
Reference Casino Reports Video Poker

I have played the strategy suggested in the

Wizard of Odds Video Poker Hand Analyzer

Reference wizardofodds com games video-poker

Jacks or Better $0.25 $0.50 $1 Royal Flush - 4000

Deal 1 Jacks or Better 5
Deal 2 Jacks or Better 5
Deal 3 Lost
Deal 4 Lost
Deal 5 Lost
Deal 6 Lost
Deal 7 3 of a Kind 15
Deal 8 Lost
Deal 9 Lost
Deal 10 Lost
.
.
.
.
NO profit, Lost all the money

Deuces Wild $0.25 $0.50 $1 Royal Flush No Deuces - 4000

Deal 1 Lost
Deal 2 Lost
Deal 3 Three of a Kind 5
Deal 4 Lost
Deal 5 Straight 10
Deal 6 Lost
Deal 7 Lost
Deal 8 Lost
Deal 9 Lost
Deal 10 Straight 10
.

.
.
.
NO profit, Lost all the money


Not only this, I have seen few people put in a few hundreds @ Video Poker machines and they all went down in a few minutes.

Compared to Video poker I felt that the Table Black Jack was better, I would some times earn atleast 120% of the money that I have put in.



Were they bad machines? Were the cards not favorable to me on Video Poker? Was it because of a less bank roll? What is a minimum bank roll needed?

I could not figure out what was going wrong,
Any suggestions on the playing? Thanks

My first question would be... did you confirm that you're playing the correct pay table? It wouldn't matter what pay table you were playing as that wouldn't change the frequencies of the hands.

Hopefully you understand that the 99.5% & the 100.76 payback's that you quoted doesn't mean that's what you're going achieve those numbers each session/day/ week/ year and so on. You're going to experience short-term variance. The more hands you play, the closer you should get to the calculated percentage Payback, but it's unlikely you will ever achieved those exact percentages. There's really nothing you can do to help, other than playing correctly on good pay tables and playing many many many many hands.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
James85
James85
Joined: Nov 8, 2014
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 12
December 3rd, 2019 at 7:33:02 PM permalink
Quote: ECoaster

You only played 10 hands, which is a tiny sample--- but remember even 9/6 Jacks or Better is a losing game. Plus, a big part of that return % is in the big hands like the royal, straight flush, 4OAK... If you have sessions where you're not getting any of those, you're balance will drop pretty quick.




Not only me, I have seen others put in a few hundreds, played many and they lost too.
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 171
  • Posts: 9498
December 3rd, 2019 at 7:51:43 PM permalink
Quote: James85

Not only me, I have seen others put in a few hundreds, played many and they lost too.



You will lose far more hands than you win. The big difference is that while you only lose five credits a hand, you can win much more.
If you played 100,000 hands , give or take however many, your wins should equal about 99% of what you put in.
bobbartop
bobbartop
Joined: Mar 15, 2016
  • Threads: 124
  • Posts: 2542
Thanks for this post from:
AxelWolf
December 3rd, 2019 at 10:15:03 PM permalink
Quote: James85

Not only me, I have seen others put in a few hundreds, played many and they lost too.




Even when I was just starting out learning about video poker, I was clueless, but not quite as clueless as you appear to be. I don't mean to sound insulting, but I will guess that you have NO chance. Don't even waste your time.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
SingleCoinVP
SingleCoinVP
Joined: Aug 31, 2019
  • Threads: 10
  • Posts: 253
Thanks for this post from:
Minty
December 4th, 2019 at 4:57:06 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

Even when I was just starting out learning about video poker, I was clueless, but not quite as clueless as you appear to be. I don't mean to sound insulting, but I will guess that you have NO chance. Don't even waste your time.

James, you don't seem clueless to me. You seem like a guy who has fallen for the casino's marketing. The vast majority of today's casino games are losers. Most of us will never see a game where we have an advantage that lasts more than a few hands.

The best way to beat the casinos is to stay out of them. If you are going to play casino games, know they are not there to pay anyone's bills except their own. Play for entertainment. Don't risk money you can't afford to lose. Before you walk in pull out your money and look at it. How will you feel when you walk out broke? This will happen far more times than you will walk out a winner.

Determine how much your casino entertainment is worth to you? As you are playing, don't think about how good you will feel when you hit a big jackpot. Think about how bad you will feel when you lose your money 9 out of 10 times. This will help you to develop discipline. An attribute that is far more valuable than skill.
Last edited by: SingleCoinVP on Dec 4, 2019
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 145
  • Posts: 18217
Thanks for this post from:
Forageronenickelmiracle
December 4th, 2019 at 5:19:00 AM permalink
Quote: SingleCoinVP

The vast majority of today's casino games are losers.

"Todays"? They always were and always will be.

The best thing to do is to move on to something else and change with the times. You can entertain yourself via gambling AND have +EV. Obviously, if you want to go with the flow(take it on the chin) and continue to play the same game with much worse pay tables and adjust to playing one coin then that's on you. I get the feeling that BTB doesn't want to play for just entertainment, he wants both entertainment and positive EV. Some people actually feel dirty when they play negative expectation games knowing there's opportunities out there where they have the advantage.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
bobbartop
bobbartop
Joined: Mar 15, 2016
  • Threads: 124
  • Posts: 2542
December 4th, 2019 at 5:47:11 AM permalink
Quote: SingleCoinVP



The best way to beat the casinos is to stay out of them.




Hey Single, I just said that to James.

Poor guy came here for help, actually we just gave him the best advice he could want. No need to thank us, that's what me and Single are here for. But it remains, who is going to help me and Single?
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
SingleCoinVP
SingleCoinVP
Joined: Aug 31, 2019
  • Threads: 10
  • Posts: 253
December 4th, 2019 at 6:10:41 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

Hey Single, I just said that to James.

Poor guy came here for help, actually we just gave him the best advice he could want. No need to thank us, that's what me and Single are here for. But it remains, who is going to help me and Single?

I enjoy the casino as long as it's on my terms. The casino keeps changing those terms. The minimum bet on our so called "Penny Slots" has been increasing. Video poker odds have dropped substantially. Comps and points have decreased steadily. I can let the casino dictate my cost to play or I can play as cheap as possible. I choose the later.

  • Jump to: