playstkid
playstkid
  • Threads: 12
August 18th, 2012 at 4:15:03 AM permalink
Ad...Kc...Qh...4s...2c

why is the Kc Qh better then holding all 3 of the high cards OR better then holding the Ad Kc ?
i guess with the AKQ you eliminate the chance of quads but the KQ vs AK really makes no sense to me.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
August 18th, 2012 at 4:47:02 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
August 18th, 2012 at 4:55:31 AM permalink
more straights with KQ.

AKQJT and KQJT9.

vs holding AK or AQ.

which only has.

AKQJT.
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
August 18th, 2012 at 9:44:28 AM permalink
You're stuck on real poker. A pair of aces and a pair of jacks are the same hand; trip aces and trip deuces are the same hand; Broadway and the wheel are the same hand; a king high straight flush and a steel wheel are the same hand. So why would you hold AK over KQ? Would you prefer to be dealt AKQJx (4 outs) over KQJTx (8 outs)? The chance of a straight is minuscule for either AK or KQ, but it's better to have two possibilities than one, and since there's no villain in video poker, there's no disadvantage to a lower pair or trips.

I suspect KQ is better than AKQ because the better, still tiny chance of making a straight doesn't make up for the lost opportunities to hit high pair through trips (or the ghost of a chance of quads or a boat).
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
7craps
7craps
  • Threads: 18
August 19th, 2012 at 3:12:11 PM permalink
Quote: playstkid

Ad...Kc...Qh...4s...2c

why is the Kc Qh better then holding all 3 of the high cards OR better then holding the Ad Kc ?
i guess with the AKQ you eliminate the chance of quads but the KQ vs AK really makes no sense to me.

Prove it to yourself.

Just do the math, or let someone's program do it for you

http://www.dagnammit.com/servlet/DiscardWizard?hand=AD%2CKC%2CQH%2C4S%2C2C&game=jacks

or
better yet
https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/hand-analyzer/
winsome johnny (not Win some johnny)
  • Jump to: