Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
March 30th, 2021 at 5:48:22 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

No, it is far south, in Los Olivos, Santa Barbara county, California.

That was just after I left in the early 80s. I lived in Santa Barbara for 6 years never remember anybody mentioning Michael Jackson. Jane Fonda lived there, I saw her a couple of times. A tiny person. Celebrities always seem to be much smaller when you meet them in person. Joe Cocker came in the bar once; I could have knocked him over with a feather. He passed out drunk on the floor and when we carried him out to his truck it's like he weighed nothing. The gorgeous blond he was with was bigger than he was. She was so gorgeous it was hard to look straight at her. Weird.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 30th, 2021 at 5:52:20 PM permalink

Oh, it was one year, not two

Nope. Go and look for yourself. Your last post was February 2019. Next post after that is March 2021. That's just over two years.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 30th, 2021 at 6:01:08 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Yes.... the boroughs. That was Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, and Staten Island. But New Jersey near 'the city' was never a borough. It was always a 'suburb of New York City' Never once heard it referred to as a suburb of Manhattan. And never heard it referred to as a 'borough'. Because it is NOT a borough!

I have been watching New York City walking videos everyday since last summer. Not once in hundreds of hours of videos have I ever heard the word borough mentioned. They just say Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx. I have been to New York City twice and did not like it. These videos of totally changed my mind. There is so much beautiful old architecture in New York City and so much history how can you help but not like the place. These are live videos and this one guy constantly asks his viewers to Google different townhouses to see how much they sell for. A typical three story Brownstone in Manhattan goes for 8 to 12 million dollars. 3500 square feet. Everything is in the millions. How people can afford to live there is a mystery.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 326
March 30th, 2021 at 7:27:17 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Wow, you lived in Eugene. Nice town. Its actually my favorite place to see the band. A lot of their friends live in the area so the band is in good spirits meaning we may get a hot show and Eugene got a lot of them.

I saw the Dead twice at Autzen in Eugene;

Not the best acoustics (large,open sports arena) but a good time nonetheless.

Love those "spinner" chicks who seem to twirl continuously.

Also I applaud the Dead for having had tents / areas set up to chill folks down who are having a bad trip: much better then going to a hospital.
Last edited by: MrV on Mar 30, 2021
"What, me worry?"
MrV
MrV
March 30th, 2021 at 7:33:44 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Nope. Go and look for yourself. Your last post was February 2019. Next post after that is March 2021. That's just over two years.

Hmmm, right you are.

Give that man a kewpie doll.
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 192
March 30th, 2021 at 7:39:24 PM permalink
A lot of Manhattan townhouses have remained in the same family for generations. Besides that, it wasn't all that long ago that Manhattan prices were much lower.
One of my good friends lived in a rent controlled apartment in the East Village. It was a horrible block with junkies everywhere. The landlord defaulted and the city ended up owning the building. The city gave the building to the tenants and got them hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans that were easily forgiven. It's a co-op now and his apartment is worth almost a million dollars.
I paid under $20,000 for my apartment in Queens in the early 90s, and might be able to get a half-million for it with some simple upgrading.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 86
March 30th, 2021 at 7:52:11 PM permalink

I saw the Dead twice at Autzen in Eugene;

Not the best acoustics (large,open sports arena) but a good time nonetheless.

Love those "spinner" chicks who seem to twirl continuously.

Also I applaud the dead for having had tents / areas set up to chill folks down who are having a bad trip: much better then going to a hospital.

The one thing I really liked about the Autzen shows
Daytime shows over at dusk
I loved it, no light show, just music
So refreshing after seeing them in one massive dark room after another
Another thing I loved about Eugene shows was the chill scene outside
They allowed camping around the stadium during the multiple show run
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 30th, 2021 at 8:21:18 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I paid under $20,000 for my apartment in Queens in the early 90s, and might be able to get a half-million for it with some simple upgrading.

But, well, it's in Queens. I've seen a lot of Queens watching these New York walking videos and Manhattan it's not. My reaction to Queens is the same as Miranda's reaction was in Sex in the City. What would that same apartment be worth if it was in Manhattan. That's where all the history is and all the great architecture. Sometimes they'll walk past a really cool old building and I'll look up the address and read the history of it.
MrV
MrV
March 30th, 2021 at 8:25:16 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

The one thing I really liked about the Autzen shows
Daytime shows over at dusk

On one of the trips it was about ninety degrees: my son was with me and he had to go to one of the help tents to cool down due to early signs of struggling with the heat.

Funny how many Deadheads stayed outside the arena during the concert, probably too broke to afford a ticket.

Didn't really seem to matter to them, just so long as they were there and able to make the scene.

"There is (was) nothing like a Grateful Dead concert."
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 30th, 2021 at 8:34:22 PM permalink

Didn't really seem to matter to them, just so long as they were there and able to make the scene.

That is the impression I got in 1978. Absolutely nobody was paying any attention to the music. It was just an excuse to get together smoke free dope and drink wine and for girls to take their tops off. I was not even 30 yet and it bored me to tears.

• Jump to: