PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 16
January 12th, 2017 at 5:15:13 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

sushi in HK

wut

I was going to link the youtube video of the Hangover 2 scene at the strip club, but it contained some NSFW stuff. Basically avoid that.

It was the first food I found and I sooooo hungry.

I think I will definitely avoid the lady boys.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. Amarillo Slim Preston
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
January 12th, 2017 at 9:51:40 PM permalink
Yesterday started out with me tagging along with my three dorm mates from Indonesia. We went to Victoria Peak. We took the subway to Admirality station, walked around outside for 15 minutes before we found the signs directing is to the Peak Tram. We got there, paid our $88 (return) HKD and waited for the train.

The train came and it was a beautiful old train with wooden seats. We boarded and it started going up an extremely steep hill which kept getting more steep the higher we went.

As we were going up all the buildings looked like they were slanted instead of us.

We got to the top and took a bunch of pictures from the various rooftops of the malls that are there.
From left to right: Rizke, Iman, Kamal and your truly.

Another one of Iman and myself.

This one is from the other side where you can see Hong Kong. Kamal and I.

After we took the Tram down which went very fast backwards, we took the subway to the Tsim Sha Tsui Promenade. We took pictures of the skyline and lights of the buildings. We didn't stay too long as we were coming back later that night for the symphony of lights.
This huge amazing clock tower.

Me with the clock tower.

We went back for the show at night. The show was very underwhelming and I would much prefer the Bellagio fountains any day of the week. It had music and some lights, nothing spectacular.
Clock tower at night.

Building lit up.

Group photo. Left to right: Iman, me, Kamal and Rizke.

Don't worry I didn't fall in.

This building kept on changing the lights on it. Sometimes it showed the time, or happy new year or even dancing cartoons. I loved watching it.

Well that was my day yesterday. I'm going to take a nap before embarking on a night of fun.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. Amarillo Slim Preston
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
January 13th, 2017 at 2:32:48 AM permalink
Today has been less adventure and more food adventure. My new friends from Indonesia wanted to leave the hostel at 9 am today so I decided to get breakfast before we leave so I don't starve like yesterday. (Btw I was ready at nine, they weren't ready until 10:30, works for me I got to go on the Internet)

So I got dressed headed down and turns out that most of Mong Kok is closed at 7 am. I walked a couple blocks and found a restaurant. I walked in and asked for a table for 1, they sat me with an older gentlemen which I learned through breakfast is normal. They gave me a menu which I obviously had no understanding of. I went to the counter and tried to order the same thing as the guy had at my table which was beef and some ramen looking noodles. The lady and I pointed at pictures on the menu until I thought I had ordered the soup and a ham and egg sandwich (sandwich comes with the soup). I was wrong! My food arrives and first is a tuna sandwich, ok I can eat that lol. Next is a bowl of saucy beef with maccaroni noodles in soup, again not what I ordered but it tasted good.

Oh so maybe Konbu can help me with this one. I ordered water (although the lady insisted I have tea or coffee, multiple times and then came to my table and again tried to get me one of those). The lady brings me a small cup of hot water that has a lemon zest to it. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to drink it or wash my hands or what really. The lady that took the seat across from me after the older guy left dipped her fork in it but never drank it so... I have no clue. I took a couple sips and then just ate and bought a bottle of water on my way back to the hostel. I'm thinking they were thinking "silly white guy".

We then went to the Garden of Stars which has some hand impressions and statues of famous actors maybe??? I'm not sure since the only name I recognized was the Bruce Lee statue. I did find one statue which amused me cause it seemed so out of place but it was cute so I took a picture for my friend Magda cause she likes pigs.

I have been to Disney World 4 times so I had no interest in going here but the guys wanted to go and take pictures. I tried explaining to them that they wouldn't be able to go inside so they were going to take a hour long subway ride to take a picture of the front gate. The language barrier won and they went while I chose to go back to Mong Kok.

I left the subway station and started walking through a flea market looking thing near my hostel. I walked for about 20 minutes while looking at the tiny "restaurants" on the side of the market trying to decide where to get food. I came across this noodle place that smelled good.
When I say "hole in the wall" I'm not kidding.

I walked up and they didn't speak English. Then I asked for a menu and they again didn't know how to help me. I then pointed to whatever they were currently cooking in the wok and motioned to myself saying can I have that. This cook nodded yes and said $32 to which I said sure (no clue what I ordered). I gave him $102 and he said no worries (obv no English) only $30 so for some reason I got a $2 white person discount. A man came and picked up the food that I pointed to and then they started making mine. They packaged it up and I went to the hostel. I stopped at the street meat place cause I thought I just got noodles. So I chowed down and it was all very good. The noodles were thin noodles with some brown odd meat in it. The meat was fine but I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again. There were also a few onions and a lot of these soft white almost tasteless vegetables that I couldn't identify. I ate everything I bought like a pig and I am still curently full. I took a nap for a few hours until the guys came back.

My friend Eric gets here from Cambodia in about a hour (he messed up his flight, was supposed to be here yesterday) so I'm not sure what he wants to do tonight. Thinking about just walking around Mong Kok and taking it easy tonight.
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 31
January 13th, 2017 at 5:46:19 AM permalink
1 Your breakfast came as a package. It depends on the package. Yours was a small sandwich, meat and mac in soup and a drink. Coffee or tea. Upgrade to a cold drink will cost u 2-5 dollars more. That cup of water or tea is always free. It is standard. In Hong Kong, they do not server finger bowl.
2 The meat looked like beef brisket. Tasteless white vegetable looked like turnip. Next time order Cantonese chow mein( Mixed meat and vegetable on noodle). That is your safe bet.
Use google translate, your life would be much easier.
The other picture were beef balls and sausage.

At last, dont worry, u can order any meat because in Hong Kong, they dont eat cat or dog anymore.
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 31
January 13th, 2017 at 5:47:39 AM permalink
Grinder, u teach me how to play poker and I will show u around.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 270
January 13th, 2017 at 7:47:28 AM permalink
This thread is great.
"What, me worry?"
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 121
January 13th, 2017 at 7:49:42 AM permalink
Grinder only going to 65*F in Hong Kong today...... shorts weather for sure.

I had to look at the weather today back home for you...... MINUS 47*F windchill

Good timing for your trip for sure....keep the story/photos coming

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/mb-38_metric_e.html?unit=imperial
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
January 13th, 2017 at 9:36:20 AM permalink
Quote: speedycrap

1 Your breakfast came as a package. It depends on the package. Yours was a small sandwich, meat and mac in soup and a drink. Coffee or tea. Upgrade to a cold drink will cost u 2-5 dollars more. That cup of water or tea is always free. It is standard. In Hong Kong, they do not server finger bowl.
2 The meat looked like beef brisket. Tasteless white vegetable looked like turnip. Next time order Cantonese chow mein( Mixed meat and vegetable on noodle). That is your safe bet.
Use google translate, your life would be much easier.
The other picture were beef balls and sausage.

At last, don't worry, u can order any meat because in Hong Kong, they dont eat cat or dog anymore.

The coffee/tea was actually $3 more, it said on the menu. As far as the soup and sandwich I know it was a conbo I just didn't get the correct combo lol.

I enjoyed the weird noodle dish I had I just didn't know what it was. I can only use google translate with wifi and I had none. I'm never worried what I am eating, I'll eat anything if it tastes good.

Thank you Mr.V, I'm glad you like it.

Coilman shorts and tshirt indeed. It is crazy cold back home. That's why I go out of town for long stretches very winter.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 206
January 13th, 2017 at 9:54:47 AM permalink
I am enjoying your blog PG! A couple of questions come to mind:

HK was a British colony until what, 1999? So is the number of English speakers in the population falling?

Does the hostel provide a safety deposit box for you to secure your valuables?

Do you feel secure walking around by yourself, or are there sketchy characters lurking about?

I enjoyed the contrast of your picture of the train ride with the "postcard". Sort of a reality check.

Keep em coming!

Also, just a reminder to me: 1 HKD = 0.13 USD
Last edited by: Ayecarumba on Jan 13, 2017
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 206
January 13th, 2017 at 11:06:37 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

...We then went to the Garden of Stars which has some hand impressions and statues of famous actors maybe??? I'm not sure since the only name I recognized was the Bruce Lee statue. I did find one statue which amused me cause it seemed so out of place but it was cute so I took a picture for my friend Magda cause she likes pigs.

The pig's name is "McDull" Apparently, the "pea-brained" but earnest character is very popular with the children.

I think "Hello Kitty" would have the pig for lunch.

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

• Jump to: