Konbu
Konbu
  • Threads: 2
January 11th, 2017 at 9:22:03 PM permalink
Make sure to sit on the right side for best views. You can take the bus back down to save some money and time waiting in line.
I CD-ROM.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 16
January 12th, 2017 at 1:26:26 AM permalink
Aye Las Vegas is 16 hours behind Hong Kong. It is currently 5:21 PM on Thursday while it is 1:21 AM on Thursday in Las Vegas.

I actually took that tram about 5 hours ago. It takes you to The Peak which is what they call the top of Hong Kong. I think it's called Victoria Peak.

Wiz thanks for the well wishes. I will let you know if I see anything new. It was decently clear today so we had a nice view. I found it difficult to take pictures because of all the trees.

Konbu sadly I didn't get the window seat either time so I could see everything very well but the pictures weren't great. I didn't know you could take the bus down. We bought a two way ticket when we went.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. Amarillo Slim Preston
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
Thanks for this post from:
BTLWI
January 12th, 2017 at 1:48:13 AM permalink
Yesterday my plane landed in Hong Kong. I was tired and starving but determined to find my way to the hostel without a taxi.
This is on descent.

I bought an Octopus card which you load with money and you can pay for subway rides and food with it. With help from workers at the airport I figured out which the trains I needed and got to the Mong Kok station without issue. There was a sushi to go place with a beautiful display and so I grabbed some sushi. It only cost $28 HKD.

Next up was finding the hostel. This proved to be very difficult.
This was what I saw when leaving the subway station. Very cool.

So I haven't slept in almost two days, I'm carrying my backpacking backpack and my regular backpack and it's quite warm out. The hostel is supposed to be a 3 minute walk from the station. Well... I walked around for a hour before I found a McDonalds. I used the wifi and google maps got me to the hostel. I was so happy to finally be able to sleep.

I slept for two hours before being woken up by three roommates. They were coming back with soups and whatnot for dinner and tried to make have some but I declined as I had just ate. They are very kind and I actually spent the whole day with them today. They are Indonesian. One of them speaks decent English but we still use google translate a lot. One speaks very little English but can still communicate a touch. The third one speaks no English at all so we have yet to talk at all. He seems mildly afraid of me lol.

We are headed out soon to watch the symphony of lights so I will post about today later tonight.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. Amarillo Slim Preston
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 68
January 12th, 2017 at 3:00:01 AM permalink
I definitely do not have the courage to travel the world by myself. I also could never stay in a hostel. Good luck out there, don't become an international incident.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 26
January 12th, 2017 at 7:01:28 AM permalink
So you were starving and happened across a McDonald's, huh? How were the nuggets out there?? =)

Glad to hear you got in safe and sound. Rest up and enjoy the adventure that is your trip! IF you wanted to post some pics, I'd love to see the adventure, but this is a once in a lifetime experience so make sure YOU are enjoying yourself! Definitely at least post at the end of the night on any gambling action though =D.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Konbu
Konbu
  • Threads: 2
January 12th, 2017 at 7:06:04 AM permalink
60-70F for HK in January is very good weather. Can see why it's "hot" for someone from Winnipeg!

It will be upper 80s to 90s with 100% humidity in the summer.

Also, for offline map I highly recommend MAPS.ME, you can bookmark stuff beforehand.

On my way to Managua now, but too lazy to open a thread like you!
I CD-ROM.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
January 12th, 2017 at 7:25:38 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

So you were starving and happened across a McDonald's, huh? How were the nuggets out there?

Hong Konk McDonalds' serve whole pieces of fried chicken. Hong Kong people wouldn't buy those wads of chicken pulp.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 26
January 12th, 2017 at 7:27:36 AM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

Hong Konk McDonalds' serve whole pieces of fried chicken. Hong Kong people wouldn't buy those wads of chicken pulp.

You're missing the apparently too inside joke about PG doing the nugget challenge and claiming he'd never eat another nugget again... (which was even referenced earlier in THIS thread).
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
January 12th, 2017 at 3:15:36 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

You're missing the apparently too inside joke about PG doing the nugget challenge and claiming he'd never eat another nugget again... (which was even referenced earlier in THIS thread).

Lol no way in hell I'm eating American food on this trip at least not American fast food. I had already eaten the sushi before finding McD's. I just know that no matter where you are in the world they have free wifi. As far as the nuggets. They still sell them, I saw them on the window but they also sell what I think they call drunmies which are fried mini drumsticks. Looked decent actually. Speaking of all this food I am going hunting for breakfast (7am) because the Indonesian guys I'm hanging with don't eat until like 2 pm and I am not going 17 hours between meals again today. I thought I was going to do die on Victoria Peak yesterday.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 80
January 12th, 2017 at 4:52:30 PM permalink
sushi in HK

wut

I was going to link the youtube video of the Hangover 2 scene at the strip club, but it contained some NSFW stuff. Basically avoid that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

• Jump to: