Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
March 28th, 2021 at 5:42:42 AM permalink
Mrs Mosca and I both passed our 2 weeks since second vax, so we finally got out of the house; took a 3 day to Borgata. It wasn’t crowded, but it wasn’t sparse, either; there were enough other people to have fun, but not so many that we felt crowded. Everyone was pleasant, and generally accepting of conditions (strict mask protocol including covering the nose, lots of sanitizer stations, no smoking or vaping, limited table seating with plexiglass).

Criss Cross is one of my favorite games, and Borgata is in with both feet. Even on a Monday morning they had 4 full tables. They’ve added a new side bet (as if the hold on Criss Cross wasn’t enough): it’s a $5 button bet that, if you get dealt any pair, gives you a spin on a virtual wheel. You spin by pushing the red betting button, like spinning a slot. It has a jackpot that is fed from the button and is common to all the tables. Watching the meter, I’d estimate that $1 out of every $20 goes into the pot. Payouts are anywhere from $25/15 (winner gets $25, all other button betters at that table get $15) to the jackpot, which was at about $57k when we were there last week. There are various other amounts ranging from $50 to $2000, with some other split values.

I figured that the bet wouldn’t be offered if it was a good one, but I did play it on my first hand out of superstition. I got a pair of nines, and my spin generated $50. (Then I stopped playing it, and got pairs on three of my next five hands.) Over the course of three days, I saw one $75, one $60, and all the rest $50.

It’s obviously a slot machine type wheel, not a roulette or Big 6 type wheel. I’d guess there’s a pretty huge house edge, but there’s no way to tell. I mentioned to a dealer, that it wasn’t like Criss Cross didn’t make enough as it was, and she chuckled and rolled her eyes. The side bet has been there a few months, and the jackpot hasn’t been hit yet.

As far as the trip went, I cleared $600. Mrs Mosca didn’t do as well, but she has no regrets at all, we finally got out of the house for the first time in a year. I didn’t hit anything big, but I didn’t get whacked anywhere either. If a game wasn’t fun I walked after a few hands or spins. It worked. This time, anyhow.
A falling knife has no handle.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
March 28th, 2021 at 5:59:14 AM permalink
Food was different than what we expected. We love the buffet there, but it wasn’t being served. Sunday night, we had takeout from Noodles Of The World, of which we’d heard good things. The spring rolls were great, everything else (pepper steak, chicken soup) was incredibly bland. No amount of soy sauce and sriracha could save it.

We had room service two mornings. The first morning, I had an omelet that was advertised as 3 egg; it had to be at least 5 eggs. I ate half of it, it was so big. Mrs had 2 scrambled eggs, there were at least 4 eggs there. Meals had hash browns and toast. The next day I ordered the scrambled, figuring to get 4 eggs; it was more like 3. Mrs got hers over easy, and it was 2. Room service food was decent enough.

We at at Vic & Anthony’s in Golden Nugget one night. They had a bacon appetizer that was great, but the American Wagyu ribeyes were disappointing. They were just the eye, with cap removed, and they were tough. Maybe it was a bad night? Mondays can be iffy in the restaurant business.

Old Homestead at Borgata is one of our favorite restaurants. We’ve had better meals, but that isn’t what I mean. We just love Old Homestead. Mrs had crab-stuffed lobster tail, which she says is her favorite dish anywhere in the country (so at least one of us thinks it is the best meal), I had a strip steak. It was a damn good steak.
A falling knife has no handle.
  • Jump to: