Lucca3927
Lucca3927
  • Threads: 17
May 10th, 2018 at 5:04:38 PM permalink
I was offered a free invitation to a Craps tournament. It comes with the welcome meal, free room, and whatnot. I'm wondering what the best strategy is. As I see it you can't play like you normally would since you just need to beat the other players and not the house. Basically I think that people will

A) play normally and hope for the best or

B) Put the lions share of their bankroll on high risk bets, like the 2/12 or hardways, and hope that they hit early.

My personal feeling would be, all things being equal, to bet the darkside since most players won't do it out of sheer habit or superstition. If the table is hot then that's that for me butt a cold table will put me ahead of everyone at the table very quickly or even just leave me standing alone to move up when everyone gets wiped out..

Any thoughts or experiences?
"I should have bet black." - Winston Churchill .
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 10th, 2018 at 5:12:49 PM permalink
I've played in two craps tournaments and took first and third place respectively.

Here is my basic advice. Bet nothing until the last few throws. Many competitors will bust out and you'll have a good idea how much you'll need to advance to the next round based on the stacks of those remaining. It has been known to happen that people advanced who never made a bet, because so many other players busted out.

The last roll is where it gets complicated but I mainly like place bets. However, you also have to consider your position. If you're in early position, a competitor with more chips can simply bet the same thing you do and stay ahead. If this is the case, then you'll have to make your move before the last roll when you act after the chip leader. In this situation, bet contrary to him. If you really need to increase your bankroll by a large factor, then cover as many hops as you can that will get you to your goal.

One could write a short book on craps tournament strategy. It is very complicated. The above is just scratching the surface.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
May 10th, 2018 at 5:33:32 PM permalink
I've played once. I made it to the final table and did terribly there. I'll second the wizard's advice. Be very conservative. You'll know what you'll need to do at the end.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
May 10th, 2018 at 5:42:28 PM permalink
I have worked many a party night with a "chip winner" of the table. I see the same few things no matter what the game. My observations:

1. Throw out most of what you know about money management and play. If you do Pass/Don't with full odds you will never do better than mid-pack. If you want to grind, stick to cash.
2. People that do well seem to have some place or COME bets going. The odds on COME/DC are effectively identical, but tournament reality as I have seen it is that the big winners win big by collecting lots of Pace Bets/COME on long rolls. OTOH, hops/hardways just bleed them. You may have a good night and hit several, but this is what I have seen in hundreds of hours of watching/dealing what amounts to the same thing.
3. The key, IMHO, in any tourney game is to keep yourself alive with good fold equity and make a run at the end. A more complex version of "Final Jeopardy." If you are mid-pack, consider splitting everything between 6/8 and keep pressing.

Finally, remember what does not change. I have posted this here before. My most memorable night, or one of them, I had 10 or so at my table, All making Field Bets over and over. My bank nearly broke. In the words of Frank Rosenthal.........BUT I KNEW! No kidding, 5 minutes later, they all gave it all back! If a player(s) seem to be flirting with disaster, let them, protecting that stack for the final run.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Lucca3927
Lucca3927
May 10th, 2018 at 6:48:15 PM permalink
I haven't seen the rules yet so I don't know if I'd be able to do that, or if I have to make a bet with every roll. If you have to make a bet each time then would it be wiser to make a tiny bet on a high edge bet (2/12, hardways), or a place bet for a mandatory larger amount. Better still, maybe a doey don''t bet for a minimal amount.

I think your theory is sound if I can sit and do nothing until the very last few rolls.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo 
  • Threads: 4
May 10th, 2018 at 7:20:02 PM permalink
Buddy of mine played one at the Cal and said on the last couple of rolls almost everyone was betting all they had on the field trying to double or quadruple their stack
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
May 10th, 2018 at 8:16:01 PM permalink
where is this craps tournament?
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
Lucca3927
Lucca3927
May 10th, 2018 at 9:14:54 PM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

where is this craps tournament?

My host at thr GN/Vegas said that it will be later this year but the flyers aren't public yet.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
May 11th, 2018 at 5:26:23 AM permalink
Quote: Lucca3927

My host at thr GN/Vegas said that it will be later this year but the flyers aren't public yet.

Nice! Thanks. I will have to look into going. I like craps tournaments. They dont seem to have them anymore. Ive played in 3 and have won 1st place twice and 2nd place once. Like the wiz said, hanging around until the final minutes can prove to be a good strategy. The only problem with that is if some players get a huge stack early, you are not in good position to make moves. I like to watch the fist couple of rolls to see how everyone is betting. Then adjust my strategy. If you find yourself chip leader 3/4 of the way through, you can mirror other peoples long shot prop bets to ensure they dont pass you. Too many different scenarios and adjustments that go into a tourny, but those are some basics.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 11th, 2018 at 6:27:14 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

when you act after the chip leader.

you take turns? or what?

edit: of course you take turns throwing the dice. but how is it possible to make a bet the chip leader can't also bet?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Lucca3927
Lucca3927
May 11th, 2018 at 9:22:27 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I've played in two craps tournaments and took first and third place respectively.

The last roll is where it gets complicated but I mainly like place bets. However, you also have to consider your position. If you're in early position, a competitor with more chips can simply bet the same thing you do and stay ahead. If this is the case, then you'll have to make your move before the last roll when you act after the chip leader.

Are you allowed to do that; making bets just before the roll, or is everyone required to bet at the same time? The former sounds like sniping on an Ebay auction.
GlenG
GlenG
  • Threads: 11
May 11th, 2018 at 8:08:44 PM permalink
Dealt it before..its basically a big dick swinging contest lol
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
  • Threads: 3
May 11th, 2018 at 10:38:50 PM permalink
If you have to have a bet in action at all times, a minimum bet on the pass line or don't pass is almost the same as not betting at all until you are ready to make your late move.
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies
  • Jump to: