Retardi
Retardi
  • Threads: 3
August 12th, 2010 at 2:35:41 PM permalink
Hi

Where I live there's a Caribbean Stud variant (or actually, Oasis Poker variant) where in addition of player having the option of exchanging one card for the price of ante, they can also replace the highest card in dealers hand. I've seen analysis of the game where the lowest card in dealers hand is replaced but can't find any info on this particular version, anyone have any kind of insight on what this does to the house edge of the game (I assume it must be worse than when dealer replaces the lowest card, as now you can't get the dealer to draw to AK-hand to qualify).
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
August 12th, 2010 at 2:49:54 PM permalink
I've heard of that, but have only done some cursory calculations. Not enough to put in writing. I think it would have a healthy player advantage under optimal strategy. I've never heard of these weird Caribbean Stud variants outside of eastern Europe.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Retardi
Retardi
  • Threads: 3
August 12th, 2010 at 4:22:36 PM permalink
Player advantage with just the option to exchange one card and the option to buy new card for the dealer when he's replacing the highest card (and you can't break a qualifying dealer hand)?

According to James Grosjean, the game would have 1,51% player advantage if the dealer replaces the lowest card in the hand, but that leads to sometimes drawing to AK to qualify so I would think it's not as beneficial for the player when the dealer replaces the highest card, hence only drawing to pairs (that can beat the players lower pairs)?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
August 13th, 2010 at 6:32:44 AM permalink
I show a player advantage if you can switch your own card AND replace a random unseen dealer card. I have not studied the version where you replace the highest dealer card, which is not as good. So looks like we were thinking about different games. I would defer to Grosjean about this.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: