Wizard
Wizard
  • Threads: 1550
  • Posts: 28401
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
May 3rd, 2010 at 7:36:29 PM permalink
Quote: appistappis

wiz, its amazing the way the regulars (asians) will scoff at what are better plays.....yet they go with the superstitions like they are paved in gold....all games, not just tiles.



It would be easy to run with that, but my own pale faces can be pretty bad too, but in different ways. Like blaming the player at third base for everybody losing in blackjack, or the guy who says "seven" at the craps table.

Quote: DJTeddyBear

So Wiz, what was the dealer's hand?

Did your decision give you a better result than the alternative?



I think I would have pushed either way. However, it isn't important whether you won or lost, but whether you made the right decision, which I did.
"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness." -- Aristotle
PaiGowFan
PaiGowFan
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 63
Joined: Apr 13, 2010
May 13th, 2010 at 5:48:22 PM permalink
Haven't had a chance to write since I went to Vegas 28-Apr to 02-May. I had a great time. Stayed and played at Aria. Very nice. In any case, the Wizard way and JB's strategy helped A LOT. I've been playing for many, many years (I only play once or twice a year) and spent my time learning the traditional way - most recently studying it on paigow.com. The past few years it has really begun to click and recently studying on this site and wizardofodds.com really helped.

Playing 0's 1's and 2's to push up the high hand instead of a low of a 3 or 4 really made a difference and the real (Asian) pros playing noticed and commented on my play.

Thanks.
aceside
aceside
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1247
Joined: May 14, 2021
October 1st, 2026 at 4:06:29 AM permalink
Quote: JB

Quote: Aussie

I emailed the wizard some time ago about the effect of strategy changes made when you know how many teens or days other players have. What effect would knowledge of other specific tiles make? Is it possible that the pai gow calculator could have a funtion whereby you tell it what other tiles you know are out and give adjusted EVs accordingly?


I actually studied this for a bit, and quickly came to the conclusion that it is definitely not worth the effort, for several reasons: the reduction in house edge is tiny, the opportunity to see another player's tiles AND to see a Teen and/or Day among them is rare, and the strategy changes are so scattered and nuisance-like that they would be impossible to remember.

Here are the reductions in house edge if you learn every single strategy change:

Seeing a Teen in another player's hand: 0.07%
Seeing a Day in another player's hand: 0.08%
Seeing a Teen and Day in another player's hand: 0.35%

Keep in mind these are merely reductions in the house edge, and are not sufficient enough to gain an advantage overall.
link to original post


The research is done but the result is not nil.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5849
Joined: May 23, 2016
October 1st, 2026 at 7:41:37 AM permalink
There's a saying that to really understand Pai Gow, you have to be Chinese, and you have to be a thousand years old.
aceside
aceside
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1247
Joined: May 14, 2021
October 1st, 2026 at 9:00:39 AM permalink
This game can actually be played using poker cards. The only thing unique about using tiles is that they can be easily recognized by hand feeling, so even blind people can play this game. I believe it’s a myth that this game is hundreds years old. The current rules are probably decades old, I believe.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 2457
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
October 1st, 2026 at 7:04:05 PM permalink
Quote: aceside

This game can actually be played using poker cards. The only thing unique about using tiles is that they can be easily recognized by hand feeling, so even blind people can play this game. I believe it’s a myth that this game is hundreds years old. The current rules are probably decades old, I believe.
link to original post

According to Ai the game is almost a thousand years old and the oldest set of handcarved dominoes is from around 1350 .
Happy days are here again
aceside
aceside
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1247
Joined: May 14, 2021
October 2nd, 2026 at 7:00:54 AM permalink
According to wiki, the earliest description of the game of Pai Gow tiles was published in Hong Kong in 1886.
  • Jump to: