redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
October 16th, 2020 at 10:20:43 AM permalink
Well, today was interesting. I alluded to being very careful in earlier posts regarding having your head on a swivel if sports gambling during this pandemic. I check numbers all the time -- at 2 AM, at 6 AM, and throughout the day.

Anyway, the point is, I just got kneecapped by a virus cancellation, and it could have been worse. I had bet four digits for myself (and some for others) on Southern Miss -3 and -4 vs. UTEP a few hours after lines opened. I was about 80% sure the line would go up. I had an opinion on the game, but also thought it might make a good middle shot if the line went to -7, which I thought was eminently possible. So the line was sitting at -6 1/2 when I went to the post office this morning, and when I got back, the game had been refunded. The game had been cancelled due to covid issues with Southern Miss, who had their previous scheduled game cancelled because Florida Atlantic had problems. Well, there had not been one peep about Southern Miss issues at all. Not a hint. I thought if any problem with this game arose, it would likely be on the UTEP side.

So I be wrong, is the bottom line. If the game had been played, and Southern Miss had announced after kickoff, oh yeah, we have eight starters out with covid, well, not good for me.

This is just friggin' ridiculous. My excellent middle shot (and being on the right side of the line move) out the window the day before the game. And if the game isn't cancelled, I'm on the wrong end of everything.

Man, I wish all these red state teams had just cancelled the damned season and tried to play it in February or whatever. I had actually been having a little bit of fun because there are so many head-spinning variables during covid to consider, but this was the first game where I had serious money invested and almost got whacked. Changes the funsy-ness of it, is what I'm saying.

So beware.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
October 16th, 2020 at 10:34:37 AM permalink
Quote: redietz

Man, I wish all these red state teams had just cancelled the damned season and tried to play it in February or whatever.

The problem with that is, far too many of the best players would have declined to play out of fear that it might affect their NFL draft chances since they would have to play college football and then NFL football within 3-4 months of each other.

So beware.

No need to tell that twice to the eight people in the Circa NFL Survivor Contest that selected the Patriots last weekend, only for the game to be moved to Tuesday after the deadline for making changes, and the rules saying that if a game is not played before 5 AM (Eastern) on Tuesday morning, it is treated as a tie - which counts as a loss for anybody who selected either team in that game.
redietz
redietz
October 16th, 2020 at 10:49:03 AM permalink
That's infuriating. This is going to just increase as the season continues, so it'll be a complete mess.

At least the NFL announces when people test positive. In college football, unless games are cancelled, some teams choose to announce nothing until after kickoff. It's a ridiculous crapshoot.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
redietz
redietz
October 16th, 2020 at 10:59:24 AM permalink
Just got word five minutes ago that my nephew's undefeated high school team up in Pennsylvania cancelled their big game tonight and next week. Must be coronavirus. Wow.

I was going to plug the game here. It was unbeaten North Schuylkill versus 4-1 Pottsville. That neck of the woods produced top notch Berwick teams a couple of decades ago (Berwick was multiple national champs via the USA Today poll).

My nephew had a five-minute stretch a couple of weeks ago where he caught a pass, had an interception, punted down to the opposition two-yard-line, returned a punt, and kicked an extra point.

Well, I hope they are all safe and that they all recover. And I hope it's not the coaching staff.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
October 16th, 2020 at 12:33:33 PM permalink

It was unbeaten North Schuylkill versus 4-1 Pottsville. That neck of the woods produced top notch Berwick teams a couple of decades ago

Speaking of good football in that area, and you don't want to mention the 1925 NFL CHAMPIONS (disputed) Pottsville Maroons? lol

And I am sorry, but I can't let a mention of Pottsville go by without referencing the greatest beer in the universe, Yuengling Lager. (that too is unofficial). God, how I miss that beer from my Pennsylvania days.

Good luck to your nephew for the remaining year. Hopefully the game will be rescheduled.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
kewlj
October 16th, 2020 at 1:05:32 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Speaking of good football in that area, and you don't want to mention the 1925 NFL CHAMPIONS (disputed) Pottsville Maroons? lol

And I am sorry, but I can't let a mention of Pottsville go by without referencing the greatest beer in the universe, Yuengling Lager. (that too is unofficial). God, how I miss that beer from my Pennsylvania days.

Good luck to your nephew for the remaining year. Hopefully the game will be rescheduled.

I was recently told that Yuenling is soon to be available in Arizona, so I imagine it is coming to Nevada as well. Molson/Coors has extra operating capacity in some of its western breweries and Yuenling needed a distributor so it should work well.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
kewlj
kewlj
October 16th, 2020 at 1:31:56 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I was recently told that Yuenling is soon to be available in Arizona, so I imagine it is coming to Nevada as well. Molson/Coors has extra operating capacity in some of its western breweries and Yuenling needed a distributor so it should work well.

Interesting. I will keep an eye out for that development.
racquet
racquet
  • Threads: 50
October 16th, 2020 at 2:04:01 PM permalink
So you can lose money if a game on which you have bet is not even played? Am I reading that correctly? If so, it would be to the advantage of the bookie to have the game cancelled since I assume he pockets whatever you lose.

Under present circumstances, I would hesitate to place a bet on a team if players can decide that it's not worth it, healthwise, to play and yet the game goes on. The opportunity to mess with an honest outcome by convincing a star player to sit out the game? Point-shaving by another name, for those old enough to remember what that is.

-graduate, Boston College, 1974

As to brands of beer - Narragansett was a local brand here in the sixties. The brewery went out of business and Narragansett Beer was resurrected a few years ago. It was a horrible beer back then, and the new offering was actually better than the original. The point being - don't judge the beer by its label. Will a western-brewed Yuenling taste the same as it's eastern namesake?
kewlj
kewlj
October 16th, 2020 at 2:27:43 PM permalink
Quote: racquet

As to brands of beer - Narragansett was a local brand here in the sixties. The brewery went out of business and Narragansett Beer was resurrected a few years ago. It was a horrible beer back then, and the new offering was actually better than the original. The point being - don't judge the beer by its label. Will a western-brewed Yuenling taste the same as it's eastern namesake?

Sorry to "nit pick" but some of you are leaving a "g" out of Yuengling. lol. I know it is an unusual name.

So I discovered Yuengling upon moving to Philadelphia. At just about the same time early 2000's, Yuengling expanded into Florida where I grew up and never heard of it. Yuengling purchased an old Stroh's brewery in Florida, expanding into the southern eastern U.S. (Anyone remember Stroh's beer? Fire brewed.....whatever that means. lol)

So I have never had a Yuengling from the Florida brewery, but several people have told me it is not the same taste as the traditional Yuengling from Pottsville. ??? So I wonder too if I would think a Yuengling from Arizona brewery tasted the same. I'd like to find out though. :)
redietz
redietz
October 16th, 2020 at 2:33:28 PM permalink
One of my friends, back in his youth, worked at the Yuengling brewery in Pottsville and gave tours. A few years back, another friend ran in the first Yuengling 5K in Pottsville, and sent me a shirt, which I proudly wear jogging.

Yuengling lager is my beer of choice.

Pottsville is also home to the jail where the Molly Maguires were imprisoned and then hung. If you haven't seen the old Sean Connery film, check it out. It's pretty much all true.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
October 16th, 2020 at 2:52:16 PM permalink
I like the Yuengling Hershey chocolate porter.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 16th, 2020 at 3:15:55 PM permalink
I tried this for the first time yesterday. Tasted like a combination of a bottled Starbucks drink and a Yoohoo.

At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 259
October 16th, 2020 at 8:39:29 PM permalink
i swear im the only person in PA who doesnt like yuengling
racquet
racquet
  • Threads: 50
October 17th, 2020 at 10:43:41 AM permalink

Pottsville is also home to the jail where the Molly Maguires were imprisoned and then hung.

I don't think that's grammatically correct.

You can be hung, or perhaps well-hung, but I think if it's by the neck, you get "hanged."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 17th, 2020 at 10:45:48 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I tried this for the first time yesterday. Tasted like a combination of a bottled Starbucks drink and a Yoohoo.

Got some I have to try tomorrow. Did it give a kick like coffee?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 17th, 2020 at 10:47:48 AM permalink
Quote: heatmap

i swear im the only person in PA who doesnt like yuengling

I like it but it is nothing special. I once had to bring several cases back because one friend after another heard I was going back to PA. I think on that trip I spent 2 hours picking up this and that for a bunch of people.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
October 17th, 2020 at 3:28:59 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Got some I have to try tomorrow. Did it give a kick like coffee?

I don't know, I had mine at the end of the night after way too many martinis. It is 5% alcohol so same amount of alcohol as a beer.
redietz
redietz
October 17th, 2020 at 9:57:46 PM permalink
Quote: racquet

I don't think that's grammatically correct.

You can be hung, or perhaps well-hung, but I think if it's by the neck, you get "hanged."

You are indeed correct. Hanging is not something I usually post about, so my language is rusty. Speaking of which. The town of Ashland, about 16 or 17 miles from Pottsville, commissioned a sculptor to make a tourist attraction type of display regarding the Molly Maguires. So he does this piece with a gallows and some folks with bags over their heads, and the town decided it was way too gruesome to display, so the project was vetoed.
billryan
billryan
October 17th, 2020 at 10:09:38 PM permalink
Just as long as they don't try bringing Iron City Light up to the High Desert. That is one nasty beer.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
October 18th, 2020 at 12:12:38 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Just as long as they don't try bringing Iron City Light up to the High Desert. That is one nasty beer.

When I think of Pennsylvania i think of Iron City beer.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
October 18th, 2020 at 1:13:53 PM permalink

When I think of Pennsylvania i think of Iron City beer.

Nearby Baltimore
We had National Bohemian ,locals called it NattyBo
I also remember old commercials for Black Label. Mabel, get me a black label
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 18th, 2020 at 1:46:43 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Nearby Baltimore

♫.....𝘚𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘦𝘧𝘦𝘳 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘰 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯 𝘰𝘯𝘦......♪

in junior high school there was a hot girl named ****** Schaefer

we used to sing:

♫................................𝘚𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘦𝘧𝘦𝘳 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭 𝘵𝘰 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯 𝘰𝘯𝘦........................♪
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 18, 2020
Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
October 18th, 2020 at 5:52:13 PM permalink

Nearby Baltimore

I drank a lot of Black Label and Schaefer as a young man. They were the cheapest beers we could get.
redietz
redietz
October 18th, 2020 at 6:09:23 PM permalink
Anybody remember Stegmaier? Very cheap in my youth. Brewed in Wilkes Barre, which is about 50 miles up the road from Pottsville.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
October 18th, 2020 at 6:46:07 PM permalink

I drank a lot of Black Label and Schaefer as a young man. They were the cheapest beers we could get.

I worked in a liquor store back In the day
Cheapest beer we sold was a quart of Ortleibs
6 pack, some off brand, red white and blue
DRich
DRich
October 18th, 2020 at 6:58:25 PM permalink

I worked in a liquor store back In the day
Cheapest beer we sold was a quart of Ortleibs
6 pack, some off brand, red white and blue

Never heard of that. In college I used to get a case of 24 bottles of Blatz for $3.89. It wasn't good but it did the job.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
October 19th, 2020 at 10:06:52 AM permalink
Schlitz or Schaefer were the 2 cheapest beers for me in the mid 70s
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
October 19th, 2020 at 11:23:20 PM permalink
Yuengling is one of the most overrated beers ever, imo. So many people get excited when it comes to their state. I don't get it. Budweiser is better, imo.
  • Jump to: