SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 3rd, 2019 at 5:28:52 AM permalink
Yowza! I very well may be taught an expensive lesson today! If the longest field goal is 18 yards, NOT an uncommon distance if a team kicks it after barely failing to score a TD, NATHAN wins that prop ALONE!
If there are 98 or more points scored, Nathan wins that prop ALONE!
If it goes to OT NATHAN gets a boatload of points!
If there is a safety NATHAN gets a boatload of points!
If the longest TD is 22 yards or less, certainly a very reasonable outcome, NATHAN wins that prop bet!
If there are 7 or more FGs, NATHAN wins that prop bet!
If there are 10 or more TDs, NATHAN wins that prop bet!

Most of us selected numerical answers that were around what would be expected. With around 50 contestants the way to win might be to pick numbers far away from the norm, and hope for a strange event or two (or three).

If I was going one on one against NATHAN I would make myself a huge favorite. But in a group of 50 I'd say Nathan has a far better chance than I do of winning the whole enchilada.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
February 3rd, 2019 at 5:42:36 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Yowza! I very well may be taught an expensive lesson today!

Well, thanks for adding some interest to this.

There are 47 people in the contest, so if we were just drawing names from a hat, wouldn't the odds be about 47 - 1 ? So your odds are only off by about a factor of two. So, yes definitely a good deal for Wiz but not the deal of the century.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 3rd, 2019 at 5:47:48 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

Well, thanks for adding some interest to this.

There are 47 people in the contest, so if we were just drawing names from a hat, wouldn't the odds be about 47 - 1 ? So your odds are only off by about a factor of two. So, yes definitely a good deal for Wiz but not the deal of the century.

Disagree. Before we knew the selections I'd say you'd be correct. But due to NATHAN's "crazy" picks, she has MANY picks that she could win alone. The rest of us will be sharing points among 45 of us for no safety, no OT type props. If she wins just TWO of those alone she is a huge favorite to win the whole thing.
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:00:48 AM permalink

Disagree. Before we knew the selections I'd say you'd be correct. But due to NATHAN's "crazy" picks, she has MANY picks that she could win alone. The rest of us will be sharing points among 45 of us for no safety, no OT type props. If she wins just TWO of those alone she is a huge favorite to win the whole thing.

To be fair, you offered the bet after all picks were known. If the bet is still open, I will bet $10 alongside the Wizard. Let me know.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:05:12 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

To be fair, you offered the bet after all picks were known. If the bet is still open, I will bet $10 alongside the Wizard. Let me know.

Blessedly I did give 9pm yesterday as the cutoff time! So no thanks! I think my bet is probably negative EV around $40. But I'm not really a gambler so the $1,000 loss will sting if it comes to that! I will most be upset with myself for not doing my due diligence!
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:13:49 AM permalink
Time to make a switch offer. There is a lot of talk about how my "Crazy," bets actually might win(Someone PM'd me to say if the total points is anywhere near 125, I would be the clear cut winner and a total points accumulation of anywhere near 125 would go down in the History Books. I'll admitted that 125 was a CRAZY idea and I should have went with like 60, but people are saying Maybe this CRAZY number might pay off big time. Stranger things have happened before like The Philadelphia Eagles winning a last minute victory against The Patriots who won 5 Superbowls before. Anyone wanna switch bets with me? This is a half serious offer. I'm not even sure if we are allowed to switch bets.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:23:08 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

Time to make a switch offer. There is a lot of talk about how my "Crazy," bets actually might win(Someone PM'd me to say if the total points is anywhere near 125, I would be the clear cut winner and a total points accumulation of anywhere near 125 would go down in the History Books. I'll admitted that 125 was a CRAZY idea and I should have went with like 60, but people are saying Maybe this CRAZY number might pay off big time. Stranger things have happened before like The Philadelphia Eagles winning a last minute victory against The Patriots who won 5 Superbowls before. Anyone wanna switch bets with me? This is a half serious offer. I'm not even sure if we are allowed to switch bets.

Read my post a few posts back. If the total is 98 or more you have a great chance to win it all. Even your 'silly' field goal pick may win!
Nathan
Nathan
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:41:54 AM permalink

Read my post a few posts back. If the total is 98 or more you have a great chance to win it all. Even your 'silly' field goal pick may win!

I know. I was only half serious with the "Switch bets offer." Can you imagine if say The Rams get 55 and The Patriots get 60? Oh my God in the best way possible! :D
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:58:19 AM permalink

Probably 2-1. I made a few picks that are clearly not ‘smart’, such as yes for prime number.

Here are the results, based on all NFL games between the 2006 and 2017 seasons:

Prime total = 1159
Composite total = 3989

The following table shows the 15 people that picked prime can expect to win 1.50 points on that one, while the composite pickers can expect to win 2.42. This doesn't factor in the high over/under, and there are fewer primes the further out you get.

Prime Players Prob win Win share Exp points
Yes 15 0.225136 6.666667 1.500907
No 32 0.774864 3.125 2.42145

As to Nathan, I'm hoping she gets a windfall of points on some picks. She will get 100 points for 9 or more touchdowns or 7 or more field goals. Not to mention quite a few for overtime or a safety. I show she has a 11.1% chance to win the field goals and 19.2% on the touchdowns. Just on those, she has a 30.2% chance of winning, and I think they may be negatively correlated, which increases my chances even more. Not to mention the overtime and safety possibly helping. Guys, don't be surprised if she wins this thing. I think 100 to 1 odds on Nathan is one of the best bets I ever made. I'd suggest asking SOOPOO if you can be one of the other nine bettors, if his window is still open.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
February 3rd, 2019 at 7:06:36 AM permalink

Please clarify what a FG attempt is? If the team 'lines up' for a FG, but because of a bad snap, the kicker never makes a kicking attempt, is that a failed FG? Even if the holder runs the ball in for a TD but that was clearly not the intent of the play? Let's say because of a bad snap the holder makes an incomplete pass? Or fumbles the ball and the defensive team recovers?

According to the NFL Statisticians' Guide, the kicker must actually kick the ball in order to be counted as a field goal attempt.

Treat anything else as if had been planned as a fake the entire time. For example, a "bad snap that turns into an incomplete pass" is considered a pass, and not a kick. Similarly, if the holder is tackled with the ball before the kicker can kick it, it is a rushing play.
Nathan
Nathan
February 3rd, 2019 at 7:28:20 AM permalink
Thank you for the votes of confidence, Wizard! :D :D :D A triple happy face to convey what I am feeling now! Here's another big happy face! :D
Nathan
Nathan
February 3rd, 2019 at 7:30:31 AM permalink
Question. Anyone wanna take bets on the total points accumulated being exactly 125? ;) This is a 98 percent joke question. Only 2 percent of it being completely serious. ;)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 3rd, 2019 at 7:37:29 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Here are the results, based on all NFL games between the 2006 and 2017 seasons:

Prime total = 1159
Composite total = 3989

The following table shows the 15 people that picked prime can expect to win 1.50 points on that one, while the composite pickers can expect to win 2.42. This doesn't factor in the high over/under, and there are fewer primes the further out you get.

Prime Players Prob win Win share Exp points
Yes 15 0.225136 6.666667 1.500907
No 32 0.774864 3.125 2.42145

As to Nathan, I'm hoping she gets a windfall of points on some picks. She will get 100 points for 9 or more touchdowns or 7 or more field goals. Not to mention quite a few for overtime or a safety. I show she has a 11.1% chance to win the field goals and 19.2% on the touchdowns. Just on those, she has a 30.2% chance of winning, and I think they may be negatively correlated, which increases my chances even more. Not to mention the overtime and safety possibly helping. Guys, don't be surprised if she wins this thing. I think 100 to 1 odds on Nathan is one of the best bets I ever made. I'd suggest asking SOOPOO if you can be one of the other nine bettors, if his window is still open.

Incorrect. If there are 9 TDs Nathan gets zero points for that bet. But in general I agree with your analysis. DJ has a lot of the same picks as Nathan. So in a lower scoring game he may beat her even if she hits a few of the less likely ones.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
February 3rd, 2019 at 9:38:28 AM permalink
Sigh...

Version 4 is now the latest version.

http://www.edcollins.com/wizard_super_bowl_53_prop_bet_challenge.xlsx

I found a couple of additional answers that had either leading or trailing spaces within the answer! (I thought I had fixed all of them earlier, but I was wrong. It's often hard to spot this visually,of course. So I had a macro remove them all.) This should be the final version.

Sorry for those of you who took the time to download it earlier, as you should download it once more.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
February 3rd, 2019 at 9:38:38 AM permalink

Incorrect. If there are 9 TDs Nathan gets zero points for that bet.

You're right, I overlooked that Ladygordon (any relation to gordon888?) picked 9. I show the probability of 10 or more to be 11.1%, coincidentally almost the same as the probability of 7 or more field goals. This is using the Poisson distribution to estimate the total based on a mean number of expected FG/TD, which is probably overstating the real probability somewhat.

Thank you for the votes of confidence, Wizard! :D :D :D A triple happy face to convey what I am feeling now! Here's another big happy face! :D

I think a nice tip will be coming your way if we win!!!
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
February 3rd, 2019 at 12:07:57 PM permalink
How many entries are there where the total score doesn’t equal the total points from field goals and touchdowns?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
February 3rd, 2019 at 12:57:20 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

You're right, I overlooked that Ladygordon (any relation to gordon888?) picked 9.

I am as flabbergasted to see a Ladygordon as everyone else. I have never been known to both sleepwalk and crossdress at the same time, so I assume she is a valid entrant. But I've never heard of her before.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
February 3rd, 2019 at 1:09:56 PM permalink
First, to use EdCollins spreadsheet, you will need to click on Unfreeze Panes.

Interesting exercise: Input all 20 of your guesses and then look at everyone's scores -the person with the highest score (other than you) is your nearest 'twin' - the person whose predictions were the closest to you.

My nearest twins were Tommy 711 and UnJon. (edited)

The person with the lowest score (most different than my guesses) was Nathan, but KeeneOne was a close second. (edited)
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
February 3rd, 2019 at 1:15:01 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

First, to use EdCollins spreadsheet, you will need to click on Unfreeze Panes.

Interesting exercise: Input all 20 of your guesses and then look at everyone's scores -the person with the highest score (other than you) is your nearest 'twin' - the person whose predictions were the closest to you.

My nearest twin was UnJon.

The person with the lowest score (most different than my guesses) was Nathan, but JohnZimbo was a close second.

I knew I liked you for some reason.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
February 3rd, 2019 at 2:29:17 PM permalink

But due to NATHAN's "crazy" picks, she has MANY picks that she could win alone.

"Ahh so, the student has become the teacher !"

We could have all done the same.

Changing subjects:

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/england-patriots-owner-praises-donald-111554593.html

The owner of the New England Patriots NFL team praised President Donald Trump in an interview with Fox News’ morning show “Fox & Friends” on Friday.

Robert Kraft, whose Patriots face the Los Angeles Rams in the Super Bowl on Sunday, said Trump was “working very hard to serve the best interests of the country.”

OK, I am now rooting for the RAMS.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
EdCollins
EdCollins
February 3rd, 2019 at 3:30:43 PM permalink
Tails never fails. LOL. Tied for the lead after the first resolved Prop.
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
Thanked by
Forager
February 3rd, 2019 at 3:58:17 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

Tails never fails. LOL. Tied for the lead after the first resolved Prop.

But field goal do.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
February 3rd, 2019 at 3:59:25 PM permalink
Missed field goal. 11 people now in lead with both correct.

(update) After first FG johnnyQ is leading and also had the length of the field goal correct.
Last edited by: charliepatrick on Feb 3, 2019
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
February 3rd, 2019 at 4:28:24 PM permalink
125 points is gonna be real tough at this point.
miplet
miplet
February 3rd, 2019 at 4:29:07 PM permalink
First score Pats 42 yard field goal
Nathan
Nathan
February 3rd, 2019 at 4:35:29 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

125 points is gonna be real tough at this point.

I already mentioned how awful a bet of 125 points accumulated really is, don't rub it in! ;)
Nathan
Nathan
February 3rd, 2019 at 4:55:50 PM permalink
This is already looking like a Dustbowl. Only 3 points scored so far! After more than an hour! Come on, even off Season Games do better than that. OFF SEASON GAMES! This is beyond sad. LMAO! How beyond horrible!
EdCollins
EdCollins
February 3rd, 2019 at 4:58:49 PM permalink

This is already looking like a Dustbowl. Only 3 points scored so far! After more than an hour! Come on, even off Season Games do better than that. OFF SEASON GAMES! This is beyond sad. LMAO! How beyond horrible!

Horrible? Low scoring games can be much more exciting than high scoring games.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 3rd, 2019 at 5:08:21 PM permalink
Tommy711 is looking good.

So is Nathan! If there is a single touchdown of 22 yards or less she gets a big score. Plus OT is still definitely in play.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
February 3rd, 2019 at 5:20:38 PM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

(update) After first FG johnnyQ is leading and also had the length of the field goal correct.

Woot woot woot. Thanks CharlieP for the update.
Nathan
Nathan
February 3rd, 2019 at 5:21:22 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

Horrible? Low scoring games can be much more exciting than high scoring games.

Get out of here! Low scoring games being much more exciting than high scoring games! LMAO! Good joke! :D
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
February 3rd, 2019 at 5:22:59 PM permalink
At the moment the two who said longest FG = 42 are 1st and 2nd, obviously anyone who said lower is now out of that race but others who said higher still have a chance to grab those points. Nathan is joint 3rd! Meanwhile some unlucky person is still sitting on 0!
miplet
miplet
February 3rd, 2019 at 5:24:18 PM permalink

Get out of here! Low scoring games being much more exciting than high scoring games! LMAO! Good joke! :D

The most exciting score is 43–8!
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
February 3rd, 2019 at 5:26:40 PM permalink
Quote: miplet

The most exciting score is 43–8!

I need a NE 7 and a Rams 0 in the office football squares grid. Not out of the running on that yet. Woot woot woot tm.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
February 3rd, 2019 at 5:56:36 PM permalink
Lots of punts including the longest in Super Bowl history (65 yards). btw the longest in NFL history is 98 yards!
Nathan
Nathan
February 3rd, 2019 at 5:58:39 PM permalink
Let's make this a little more interesting. If the Rams win, which strongly feel they WON'T(the Rams are a subpar Football Team, ;) I will donate $25 to WOV on an Amazon gift card. Which will be donated by the end of February unless something REALLY bad happens to me. Deal or no deal? ;) On a side note, this is a way better bet than that stupid $100 Lottery bet I impulsively made last year as The Superbowl is just a way better bet than doing Lottery Bets based on Lottery Numbers Predictions. ;)
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:06:41 PM permalink
53 yard FG (3-3), the 5 people who have that are now in the top 5.
miplet
miplet
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:07:08 PM permalink
53 yard field goal is good!
Nathan
Nathan
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:13:19 PM permalink
I'm beginning to get nervous. They are now tied after Patriots having the lead for two hours! If The Patriots lose I will ask Tom Brady to give me $25 to fund my $25 Amazon bet that I will have lost because of him! Joking. ;)
7craps
7craps
  • Threads: 18
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:17:42 PM permalink
Quote: miplet

53 yard field goal is good!

Greg the Leg
would have been good from 63

game is setting up for Greg to win it ALL with a record long FG

good luck
I won my bet that
game will be tied after 0-0

now want to see another record set!
winsome johnny (not Win some johnny)
EdCollins
EdCollins
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:31:04 PM permalink

Every TD Prop still in question... both teams still in it... final outcome could hinge on any given play...

You don't need points for excitement, suspense, etc.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:35:01 PM permalink
2-yard touchdown. At least there's been one now and that puts Nathan in the lead at the moment. (I also make MICHEL=13 https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2019020300/2018/POST4/patriots@rams )
miplet
miplet
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:36:32 PM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

2-yard touchdown. At least there's been one now and that puts Nathan in the lead at the moment.

13 scrable points if my math is correct
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:47:38 PM permalink
If it ends 10-3 I "think" Tom711 wins. (I HOPE!!!)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
Forager
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:59:01 PM permalink
13-3 might push it to Nathan!
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
February 3rd, 2019 at 7:00:49 PM permalink

If it ends 10-3 I "think" Tom711 wins. (I HOPE!!!)

Even at 13-3 as 100 each for fewest touchdowns (even if another one is scored) and total points scored; and Nathan would finish second!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 3rd, 2019 at 7:05:29 PM permalink
I don't think Nathan won. Awaiting Wiz calculation! as stated by charliepatrick
EdCollins
EdCollins
February 3rd, 2019 at 7:10:53 PM permalink
I show Tommy711 winning, with 223.61 points.
Nathan is second with 123.08 points.

Tommy is closest with a guess of 38 total points scored and 2 touchdowns scored, which nets him 200 points right there.

Give me a few minutes to double-check everything.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
Thanked by
Chuckleberry
February 3rd, 2019 at 7:13:51 PM permalink
I agree, here's how I made it. It seemed the best strategy was to go for outlying events; we didn't see that low total points and total touchdowns were correlated so a reasonable strategy to adopt. Congratulations and thanks for a fun event.
Tommy711
Nathan
vzx
FinsRule
unjon
TomG
EdCollins
soopoo
aceofspades
ayecarumba
Wizard
Keeneone 
johnzimbo
chuckleberry
Charlie Patrick
boz
tringlomane 
coolemc84
Ladygordon27
RisingDough
WBGamble
midwestAP
johnnyQ
FCBLcomish
Romes
Joeman
jjflynn2 
djatc
betday1
SM777
RS
IndyJeffrey
jackmagic777
odiosgambit
michael99000
jimmy2times
ThatDonGuy
s23taylor 
gordon888
Bruce1
BeachBumBabs
scolist
folman
southbuki
miplet
ksdjdj
DJTeddyBear 

edit Corrected the above for the prime number score as 10-3 was prime but 13-3 wasn't.
Last edited by: charliepatrick on Feb 3, 2019
Nathan
Nathan
February 3rd, 2019 at 7:14:01 PM permalink
The Patriots WON! :D I KNEW IT! :D But what a huge Dustbowl. 13 points and 3 points. The only SB Teams that could possibly do worse is a Rams VS Raiders. That would truly be The Mother Of ALL Dustbowls. YUCK! I shudder thinking of The Raiders Vs The Rams! O.O Edit. According to Google, the Rams VS Raiders happened at least twice last year and both games were actually BETTER games than The Rams VS The Patriots. Sacre Bleu! O.O Suddenly, The Rams VS The Raiders Superbowl doesn't seem as much as a huge Dustbowl anymore.
Last edited by: Nathan on Feb 3, 2019
  • Jump to: