9 votes (13.23%)
2 votes (2.94%)
1 vote (1.47%)

68 members have voted

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
July 4th, 2024 at 9:14:46 AM permalink
Happy birthday Horace Grant. The overlooked third linchpin and enforcer for the Chicago Bulls first three-peat, replacing Charles Oakley. He could shoot, all nba defense selection, whatever needed to be done to support Michael and Scottie, he'd get it done. Known as much for his goggles as his play, wore prescription goggles, and after having lasik continued to wear non prescription goggles because of the feedback he received from parents and granparents.

On his decision to keep wearing the. "“The first couple years, they were prescription goggles. I had grandmothers, grandfathers, mothers and dads coming up to me, letting me know that it inspired their grandkids and kids to wear goggles or glasses. A lot of kids would get bullied for wearing glasses and goggles, so I guess I made it pretty cool to wear them. So then I just continued to wear them without the prescription in it,”

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 238
Thanked by
camapl
July 9th, 2024 at 4:34:28 AM permalink
a dangerous kind of extreme fighting - Power Slap - has become popular in Las Vegas

"competitors are not allowed to defend themselves which means they can be struck on the head multiple times in the same place in one fight"

the sport is under attack from Doctors at the Brain Injury Association of America - see link

I'm on the side of the Doctors - this is just too, too much - how far will people stray into extremely dangerous territory for the sake of cheap entertainment_____?

to me it's really kinna sad that sports promoters, fans, and participants could sink to this low of a level

and that those responsible for deciding and regulating what is and is not legal in sports would be so lax as to allow this

https://archive.ph/8JpqR

the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 10th, 2024 at 3:45:46 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

a dangerous kind of extreme fighting - Power Slap - has become popular in Las Vegas

"competitors are not allowed to defend themselves which means they can be struck on the head multiple times in the same place in one fight"

the sport is under attack from Doctors at the Brain Injury Association of America - see link

I'm on the side of the Doctors - this is just too, too much - how far will people stray into extremely dangerous territory for the sake of cheap entertainment_____?

to me it's really kinna sad that sports promoters, fans, and participants could sink to this low of a level

and that those responsible for deciding and regulating what is and is not legal in sports would be so lax as to allow this

https://archive.ph/8JpqR

link to original post

Consenting adults. It’s not like the risks are hidden from the participants.

You want to cancel the most dangerous college sport? Then no more cheerleading.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 10th, 2024 at 4:09:58 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I must say that am quite surprised that you, a Doctor, would have that point of view

I guess you must feel that the Doctors coming out against it are fools

how about a fight until death _____?- the one who doesn't die gets $5 million - I'm sure there would be lots of fans and willing participants and promoters

would that be just okay with you_______?

I might consent to shoot up heroin - should the Government allow me to do it because I'm an adult and I know the risks_________?

that is the purpose of Government - the idea is that the collective judgement of elected persons contains a wisdom greater than the idea of one individual who might be willing to do just about anything

it doesn't always work well but we don't have a better system

and this is where I strongly believe Government should step in and ban this monstrosity

the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
rainmanavianrandy
July 10th, 2024 at 7:11:25 AM permalink

I must say that am quite surprised that you, a Doctor, would have that point of view

how about a fight until death _____?- the one who doesn't die gets $5 million - I'm sure there would be lots of fans and willing participants and promoters

I might consent to shoot up heroin - should the Government allow me to do it because I'm an adult and I know the risks_________?

that is the purpose of Government - the idea is that the collective judgement of elected persons contains a wisdom greater than the idea of one individual who might be willing to do just about anything

and this is where I strongly believe Government should step in and ban this monstrosity

link to original post

I’ll tackle this one thought at a time.

I don’t think ‘Doctors coming out against this’ are fools. You may not understand this, but just because someone has a different opinion on a topic than I do does not automatically make them a fool.

As far as ‘fight to the death’, I generally want government stopping me from doing things as little as possible. I think that may be one example that crosses the line so I’d probably be for its ban. The defined endpoint of death is different from ‘possible’ injuries in the slapping example.

As far as ‘heroin’, I am generally against illegal drugs being illegal. You must know alcohol and cigarettes kill far more than heroin ever will. But I’m not for their ban.

I think my take on what ‘government’ is supposed to do is different from yours. I want government to protect me from others, not to protect me from myself. If I’m a burly beast barely scraping by and can make $$$$$$ by slapping and being slapped, let ME decide if it’s worth it.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 93
July 10th, 2024 at 8:48:32 AM permalink

link to original post

I’ll tackle this one thought at a time.

I don’t think ‘Doctors coming out against this’ are fools. You may not understand this, but just because someone has a different opinion on a topic than I do does not automatically make them a fool.

As far as ‘fight to the death’, I generally want government stopping me from doing things as little as possible. I think that may be one example that crosses the line so I’d probably be for its ban. The defined endpoint of death is different from ‘possible’ injuries in the slapping example.

As far as ‘heroin’, I am generally against illegal drugs being illegal. You must know alcohol and cigarettes kill far more than heroin ever will. But I’m not for their ban.

I think my take on what ‘government’ is supposed to do is different from yours. I want government to protect me from others, not to protect me from myself. If I’m a burly beast barely scraping by and can make $$$$$$ by slapping and being slapped, let ME decide if it’s worth it.
link to original post

Are you OK with a duel?
2 pistols at a distance
What's the difference?
Yea you can survive a gun wound. Can totally heal sometimes
You can not recover from CTE. Once you get it, that's it. No healing from that. Worse then a gun wound. Much worse.
A brain is a terrible thing to waste
It's essential to being a human being
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 10th, 2024 at 9:07:37 AM permalink
terapined in the above post is right about the need to protect the human brain

there are all kinds of other examples that are ridiculous to me just as this so called "sport" is ridiculous to me
you could have a version of baseball where the pitcher tries to hit somebody in the batters box in the head
the guy in the batters box is not wearing a helmet - but has protection on all other parts of his body
if the pitcher hits the guy in the head he win $10K
if the batter successfully avoids being hit in the head he wins $10K

as far as I can tell by Dr. Soopoo's standards that would be 100% okay

there is a point where the risk is so high of serious injury as in "Power Slap" that it just has to be stopped

if people wanted to do this in private and have betting on it I would be less opposed

but to have it sanctioned as a legal business - no way -

we live in an "in your face" kind of society - everybody is pushing boundaries -

there needs to be people in authority willing to step up and say "this is not okay"

camapl
camapl
  • Threads: 8
July 10th, 2024 at 9:52:13 AM permalink
I blame the TV show, How I Met Your Mother and the slap bet!

Not to do with the show:
Concerned citizen: You need to put an end to this new “sport”, Slap Fight!
Government official: Not right now. Can’t you see we’re gearing up for an important election? Some of us have put money on the line!
It’s a dog eat dog world. …Or maybe it’s the other way around!
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 10th, 2024 at 11:23:51 AM permalink
The USA men's basketball team scrimmaged against the USA Select team yesterday, but all the talk is about 17 year old Cooper Flagg out of Montverde Academy, largely expected to be the #1 pick in the 2025 NBA draft. The Olympic team only beat select by 1, 74-73 in the scrimmage.

Only three amateur players have been selected to USA Select in history now, and the other two were already first team collegiate all americans. It's otherwise all younger NBA players. He re-classified to graduate high school early and committed to Duke, one NBA coach said he thought Flagg was Select's best player yesterday. Some highlights.

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
rainman
July 10th, 2024 at 12:40:19 PM permalink

terapined in the above post is right about the need to protect the human brain

there are all kinds of other examples that are ridiculous to me just as this so called "sport" is ridiculous to me
you could have a version of baseball where the pitcher tries to hit somebody in the batters box in the head
the guy in the batters box is not wearing a helmet - but has protection on all other parts of his body
if the pitcher hits the guy in the head he win $10K
if the batter successfully avoids being hit in the head he wins $10K

as far as I can tell by Dr. Soopoo's standards that would be 100% okay

there is a point where the risk is so high of serious injury as in "Power Slap" that it just has to be stopped

if people wanted to do this in private and have betting on it I would be less opposed

but to have it sanctioned as a legal business - no way -

we live in an "in your face" kind of society - everybody is pushing boundaries -

there needs to be people in authority willing to step up and say "this is not okay"

link to original post

In general I want to let consenting adults do what they want as long as I am at no risk.
Drunk driving? Put ‘em in jail.
Business poisoning water supply? Shut it down.
Two guys want to slap each other, or box against each other, or play pro football, or kickbox, or MMA, or free climb ridiculous cliffs, or drag race at over 300mph, etc….. let them.

By the way, I understand your point. And don’t dismiss it out of hand. I just disagree.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
July 10th, 2024 at 1:57:48 PM permalink
I wonder if any of you basketball fans/buffs have watched the National Gymnastics Trials (Mens/Womens)? For me, the skills necessary to participate in basketball are elementary, simple, and uncomplicated. Those "skills include running, jumping, dribbling, passing, and shooting. I am quite confident that any of you here could actually "perform" any or all of those activities.

Gymnastics includes 6 events, and all are different from each other. Any one of those disciplines require more athletic skill than all of basketball combined. So that while most all of you here could perform the above mentioned BB skills, you would be hard pressed to "perform" even the most introductory gymnastics skills such as a handstand, roundoff, back handspring, back flip, or kip, or dislocate (still rings), giant swing (horizontal bar), and the like let alone doing more advanced stuff like a double twisting double back flip on floor and sticking it. (rotating around two axes simultaneously)

I encourage you to take some time and watch those athletes and their routines. Some of the stuff they do is insane. BTW Simone Biles is 4'8" tall and during one of her floor routines (tumbling) reached a height of 12' off the floor. Which means if she could figure out how to carry a BB while tumbling, she could easily slam dunk it at a regulation 10 foot hoop.

tuttigym
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 10th, 2024 at 3:23:19 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

I wonder if any of you basketball fans/buffs have watched the National Gymnastics Trials (Mens/Womens)? .......

I encourage you to take some time and watch those athletes and their routines. Some of the stuff they do is insane. BTW Simone Biles is 4'8" tall and during one of her floor routines (tumbling) reached a height of 12' off the floor. Which means if she could figure out how to carry a BB while tumbling, she could easily slam dunk it at a regulation 10 foot hoop.

tuttigym
link to original post

I will certainly watch the actual olympics and always do for gymnastics, they are incredible world class athletes to be sure.

But you can't possibly think a spring-loaded floor and a hardwood floor are close to the same thing. I challenge you to find video evidence of any woman ever 5'8 or under, a foot taller than her, dunking on a regulation hoop jumping only off a hardwood floor. All sorts of mascots can easily dunk when they jump off trampolines though.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 11th, 2024 at 11:12:25 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

I challenge you to find video evidence of any woman ever 5'8 or under, a foot taller than her, dunking on a regulation hoop jumping only off a hardwood floor.

well, I couldn't meet your challenge
but I came close
the link is a YT "short" of a 5'6" girl who came so close but just didn't quite make it

the 2nd link is even more insane - 8th grade boys - 13 year olds - all kinds of dunks - just incredible

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UCxsMDeaM_E

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
July 11th, 2024 at 5:55:33 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

A brain is a terrible thing to waste

Sadly, the majority of the population is wasting theirs
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 13th, 2024 at 4:52:36 AM permalink
from the article:

"before and after his Las Vegas summer league debut Bronny James was the star. During the game was another matter entirely - James game doesn't yet match his fame"

his image is on billboards in LV promoting the NBA summer league action

last night he was 0 for 8 on his threes - he finished with 8 points on 3 for 14 shooting
through 3 games he is averaging 5 points on 38.5% shooting

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/07/13/bronny-james-summer-league/

terapined
terapined
July 14th, 2024 at 11:58:23 AM permalink
England vs Spain on Fox
Looking forward to this
Just starting
European Soccer championship
DRich
DRich
July 14th, 2024 at 3:33:31 PM permalink

England vs Spain on Fox
Looking forward to this
Just starting
European Soccer championship
link to original post

I enjoyed watching the Wimbledon Men's final this morning. Alcaraz is doing amazing for so young.
terapined
terapined
July 20th, 2024 at 4:52:08 PM permalink
Just watched US Olympic Basketball team squeeze by South Sudan by 1 point
101 to 100
South Sudan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF
US saved by LeBron driving and muscling in a basket.
What a game
US was in the hole 1st 3 quarters
Down by as much as 16 deep into the 2nd quarter
Didn't catch up till end of 3rd quarter
South Sudan played great.
Not intimidated at all
I think the US was favored by over 40
South Sudan has 2 NBA players, pro international players, some that play US college ball and a 17yr old Duke commit that will probably be a one and done going into the NBA 2025
South Sudan in same group as the US in the Olympics
They play again Jul 31
I'll be watching
Last edited by: terapined on Jul 20, 2024
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 21st, 2024 at 9:17:14 AM permalink
Accidentally turned on Girls Junior golf tourney. American girl in final named……..

Asterisk
terapined
terapined
July 21st, 2024 at 10:02:31 AM permalink
Boring Open
No drama
Leader crushing
Everybody else struggling
DRich
DRich
July 21st, 2024 at 11:24:22 AM permalink

Accidentally turned on Girls Junior golf tourney. American girl in final named……..

Asterisk
link to original post

Interesting, I have never heard that name.
terapined
terapined
July 22nd, 2024 at 7:52:42 AM permalink
USA men's basketball game this afternoon
Playing Germany
US came very very close to losing to South Sudan.
Sudan was only down by 1 and had the last shot of the game. They got a good look but didn't hit
US was very lucky
DRich
DRich
July 22nd, 2024 at 8:59:18 AM permalink

Playing Germany
Sudan was only down by 1 and had the last shot of the game. They got a good look but didn't hit
US was very lucky
link to original post

It sounds like they need to add Bronny James.
terapined
terapined
July 22nd, 2024 at 9:02:02 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Playing Germany
US was very lucky
link to original post

It sounds like they need to add Bronny James.
link to original post

He'd probably start for South Sudan if he was on that team
12noon Pacific time
Fox
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 11
July 22nd, 2024 at 9:04:03 AM permalink
Bob Baffert takes responsibility for failed drug test, get reinstated.

https://sports.yahoo.com/hall-of-fame-racehorse-trainer-bob-baffert-has-suspension-rescinded-by-churchill-downs-000718768.html
terapined
terapined
July 22nd, 2024 at 1:32:01 PM permalink
Germany USA real close game
Deep into 3rd quarter and Germany up by 2
Obviously Germany believes they are better then South Sudan
terapined
terapined
July 23rd, 2024 at 5:09:57 PM permalink
Olympic Games start tomorrow
Rugby and Soccer matches
Signing up for Peacock to access it all
1st on the menu
Men's soccer
Argentina vs Morocco tomorrow morning :-)
terapined
terapined
July 25th, 2024 at 8:18:29 AM permalink
Olympics
Watching handball
What an entertaining sport
Women
Germany vs S Korea
Very close game
terapined
terapined
July 26th, 2024 at 8:34:31 AM permalink
Opening ceremonies today
I just watched Snoop Dogg run through Paris with the torch
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 28th, 2024 at 8:39:18 AM permalink
Not making this up. ESPN is airing the ‘World Sign Spinning Championship’. Competitors dance around with an arrow shaped sign, around 6-7 feet long and maybe 1 1/2 foot wide. They are talented and quite athletic. But really? It is from downtown Las Vegas.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 28th, 2024 at 9:11:16 AM permalink
ESPN2 had the 2020!!!! Tetris championships on this morning. They’re really not even trying with the Olympics going on.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 11
July 28th, 2024 at 9:27:30 AM permalink
Yesterday afternoon ESPN2 had the Women;s Football Association Championship Game from Canton, OH. My Boston renegades rallied to defeat the St. Louis Slam. Was actually somewhat entertaining.
DRich
DRich
July 28th, 2024 at 11:06:26 AM permalink

Not making this up. ESPN is airing the ‘World Sign Spinning Championship’. Competitors dance around with an arrow shaped sign, around 6-7 feet long and maybe 1 1/2 foot wide. They are talented and quite athletic. But really? It is from downtown Las Vegas.
link to original post

ESPN has almost hit rock bottom. Other than their Saturday morning college football show and college football games I don't watch much ESPN anymore.
terapined
terapined
July 28th, 2024 at 12:38:28 PM permalink

link to original post

ESPN has almost hit rock bottom. Other than their Saturday morning college football show and college football games I don't watch much ESPN anymore.
link to original post

All I watch is Pardon the interruption and I watch that on youtube
I'm all about live sports
Olympic junkie for the next 2 weeks
All NBC and Peacock
DRich
DRich
July 28th, 2024 at 1:31:50 PM permalink

All NBC and Peacock
link to original post

I haven't got into the Olympics yet. The only thing I am looking forward to is the wrestling.
terapined
terapined
July 28th, 2024 at 1:57:07 PM permalink

All NBC and Peacock
link to original post

I haven't got into the Olympics yet. The only thing I am looking forward to is the wrestling.
link to original post

Greatest family reaction to winning Olympic gold in wrestling
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 2nd, 2024 at 4:50:09 AM permalink
there is controversy in the Olympics over who is allowed to compete as a female - see link
the female boxer Imane Khelif is not transgender - so she is allowed to compete in boxing
but she has male characteristics
her opponent, Angela Carini of Italy just quit the boxing match against her because her punch was too hard

the Prime Minister of Italy called the fight "a match that did not seem on equal footing. Athletes who have male characteristics should not be admitted to female competitions"

it was a body punch that caused Carini to quit - you can see it at about 0:31 in the YT vid - it doesn't look like all that hard of a punch - but to her I guess it was

https://archive.ph/KLcLz/again?url=https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/01/world/olympics/boxer-quits-gender-angela-carini-imane-khelif.html

DRich
DRich
August 2nd, 2024 at 10:11:54 AM permalink
Only three weeks until college football kickoff.

On opening day I will be betting New Mexico +8 and Nevada +25. I am already getting excited. Don't forget to watch the 12am Hawaii game that day.
terapined
terapined
August 5th, 2024 at 10:27:45 PM permalink
Future WNBA number 1 draft pick
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 6th, 2024 at 4:28:47 AM permalink
break dancing is now a competition as part of the Olympics -

https://www.kcra.com/article/sacramento-paris-olympics-b-boy-morris-breaking/61753710

tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
August 6th, 2024 at 8:25:25 AM permalink

Future WNBA number 1 draft pick

link to original post

I notice that she has a vertical leap of at least 3"s if that.

tuttigym
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 6th, 2024 at 8:58:54 AM permalink
7'9" Canadian Oliver Rioux will join the Florida Gators this coming season - he will be the tallest player in the history of college basketball

based on his highlights he seems to me to be very talented - I think barring injury he will turn out to be totally awesome

he dunks without jumping - just needs to get up on his toes

I wonder how long before an 8 footer shows up - I put the over/under at 5 years

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Aug 6, 2024
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 6th, 2024 at 5:54:52 PM permalink

7'9" Canadian Oliver Rioux will join the Florida Gators this coming season - he will be the tallest player in the history of college basketball

based on his highlights he seems to me to be very talented - I think barring injury he will turn out to be totally awesome

he dunks without jumping - just needs to get up on his toes

I wonder how long before an 8 footer shows up - I put the over/under at 5 years

link to original post

My friend’s son is an assistant coach for the Gators. I’ll be in Florida November/December. Not far. I’ll definitely be going to a game. My son is on staff at UF. (The entomologist, technically a member here).
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 9th, 2024 at 4:44:58 AM permalink
the U.S. team loaded with NBA superstars squeaked past Serbia 95-91 yesterday

it's quite amazing to me that Serbia could be competitive in a game like that

among other things -

Serbia - population 6.6 million

U.S. - population - 333 million

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
lilredrooster
August 9th, 2024 at 7:36:40 AM permalink

among other things -

link to original post

It’s hard to fathom a worse coaching job than Steve Kerr has done with what should be the best team in the history of basketball. No Tatum? Edwards barely sniffs the court? He really thinks White and Holiday are better than Edwards and Tatum? Can’t figure out how to use Embiid?

Jokic and a bunch of G league level talent almost took them down.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 11th, 2024 at 4:31:56 AM permalink
pretty interesting article that show how the MLB used tech to make pitchers better
the league wide batting average was .269 in 2006 as the leagues started using this
by 2011 the average had fallen to .255 and in 2022 it was .243
16.6% of at bats were strikeouts in 2006 - and 22.7% in 2023

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5537852/2024/06/24/mlb-missing-bats-baseball-strikeout-pitch-tracking/

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
August 11th, 2024 at 4:57:00 AM permalink

among other things -

link to original post

It’s hard to fathom a worse coaching job than Steve Kerr has done with what should be the best team in the history of basketball. No Tatum? Edwards barely sniffs the court? He really thinks White and Holiday are better than Edwards and Tatum? Can’t figure out how to use Embiid?

link to original post

Realize this post is from the semis game….but I think benching Tatum is pretty defensible. He didn’t play much but he did play badly when he did. He made ZERO jump shots, 0-16 on combined mid range + long jumpers, the entire Olympics, despite being a pretty elite shooter. In a bad shooting slump, normal team you have to let a star player play through it, don’t think you have to do that when everyone is an all star. He also looked to me like he when he played he was over-dribbling the ball, as if his role was to be a primary playmaker as if he’s not playing with Curry, LeBron, etc.

Obviously White and Holiday aren’t as “good,” but they’re elite role players willing to play the role, after being the second leading scorer on the ‘20 team Tatum didn’t appear to be willing to play like a role player when he was out there. White and Holiday also aren’t as good as their teammate Jaylen Brown but are on the team instead of him for likely the same reason.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 11th, 2024 at 5:17:41 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

among other things -

link to original post

link to original post

Realize this post is from the semis game….but I think benching Tatum is pretty defensible. He didn’t play much but he did play badly when he did. He made ZERO jump shots, 0-16 on combined mid range + long jumpers, the entire Olympics, despite being a pretty elite shooter. In a bad shooting slump, normal team you have to let a star player play through it, don’t think you have to do that when everyone is an all star. He also looked to me like he when he played he was over-dribbling the ball, as if his role was to be a primary playmaker as if he’s not playing with Curry, LeBron, etc.

Obviously White and Holiday aren’t as “good,” but they’re elite role players willing to play the role, after being the second leading scorer on the ‘20 team Tatum didn’t appear to be willing to play like a role player when he was out there. White and Holiday also aren’t as good as their teammate Jaylen Brown but are on the team instead of him for likely the same reason.
link to original post

Your analysis is good. For whatever reason Kerr benched White for the Gold Medal game and played Tatum.
Wembanyama really has improved from the beginning of the NBA season. But Lebron James just added more proof that he is the GOAT. At 39 his passing is still elite. For the small forward position he plays his rebounding is top notch. His ability to block shots near the rim has not diminished. And if you need a ‘bull rush’ to the basket he is still the man.
Curry was ridiculous in the 4th quarter.
DRich
DRich
August 11th, 2024 at 5:27:36 AM permalink

link to original post

To play devils advocate, the team did win all of their games and win the gold medal, it seems like his strategy resulted in the best possible outcome.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 11th, 2024 at 6:30:24 AM permalink

link to original post

To play devils advocate, the team did win all of their games and win the gold medal, it seems like his strategy resulted in the best possible outcome.
link to original post

That’s not how you should evaluate the job he did. With the talent discrepancy between the USA and the teams they faced the games were FAR closer than they should have been if even decent USA coaching.
Evan Fournier couldn’t even crack Knicks top 10 rotation. Yabusele couldn’t hang on as a Celtics bench player. Ntilikina is not a top 250 player in the NBA. Batum not a top 150 player. Wembanyama only French player that would have had a chance to even make the USA team. That team was within 3 with a few minutes to go.
They got the best possible outcome DESPITE his strategy.
  • Jump to: