No votes (0%)
1 vote (5.26%)
4 votes (21.05%)

19 members have voted

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 172
April 5th, 2018 at 11:19:02 AM permalink
New players often succeed because their weaknesses aren't exposed early on. The Mets once had a promising rookie named Ron Swoboda. In those days, they were horrible but he was a bright spot for them, hitting a dozen homeruns leading to a coveted All Star spot. While there, he confided to a reporter he was surprised he didn't see a steady stream of curveball, as they were his kryptonite.
He hit four home runs the rest of the season and became a journeyman player.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 79
April 5th, 2018 at 11:35:11 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

You realize there are 162 games in the MLB season, right?

I get that you are rooting for him to succeed as a 2-way player since it would be cool and historical. I'm not trying to harsh your mellow.

Well, I guess I am lol. But baseball is the ultimate short-term streak sport. You need massive amounts of data to draw hard conclusions. Like multiple seasons, really.

Yes, it is a long season
His success at the plate will depend on him getting used to pitching in the major leagues
He is not hitting every day.
He may only get about 200 to 250 at bats
Its tough to get used to US pitchers with only about 200 at bats
I predict cooling down and batting around 280 which I think is pretty incredible for a pitcher
I laughed at the yahoo article because it is a long season and they were simply looking at spring training and ignoring what he did in Japan. They based their article on practice which is what spring training is. Hard to project just looking at practice but that's what yahoo did and now the writer is not looking very good because Ohtani is starting out hot and on fire.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 5th, 2018 at 12:09:33 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Yes, it is a long season
His success at the plate will depend on him getting used to pitching in the major leagues
He is not hitting every day.
He may only get about 200 to 250 at bats
Its tough to get used to US pitchers with only about 200 at bats
I predict cooling down and batting around 280 which I think is pretty incredible for a pitcher
I laughed at the yahoo article because it is a long season and they were simply looking at spring training and ignoring what he did in Japan. They based their article on practice which is what spring training is. Hard to project just looking at practice but that's what yahoo did and now the writer is not looking very good because Ohtani is starting out hot and on fire.

Yeah Spring Training stats are basically useless. You can glean some useful information from specific matchups and video (how a guy is swinging, how a pitcher is locating etc) but the results are basically useless. A pitcher could be working extensively on locating his fastball and thus not throw many breaking pitches at the risk of giving up hits, since the results don't matter. Et cetera.

I know you know this. But anyway.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
April 5th, 2018 at 1:38:26 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

I think it's surprising it doesn't happen more often.

MLB is way too specialized, but I think it's changing (slowly).

There have been plenty of position players that are converted to relievers because of strong arms. They are probably players that are AA or AAA hitters and they think of this as their only way to the bigs. I'm sure there are plenty of players that could have major league bats and arms if they weren't forced to give up on one of those skills. With roster flexibility more important than ever, I think we will be seeing more of it (eventually).

There was a kid drafted recently who they might try it with. A lot of guys can pitch well enough to step in annd eat a couple innings during blow outs but i think they don't like to risk stars injuring themselves. Ichiro was also said to be a pretty good pitcher. I guess if cespedes can top 100 on throws from the of he could pitch in the 90s.

The main problem is that both hitting and pitching are very refined skills at the mlb level and it takes even the best a couple years to learn just one. It's next to impossible to simultaneously develop as both.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 15
April 6th, 2018 at 11:32:16 AM permalink
Brendan McKay (TB Rays organization) and Hunter Greene (Cinncy Reds Organization) are both potential 2-way MLB "Unicorns". Greene is sticking with pitcher for now but McKay is doing both in the minors.

I can see why Angels/MLB fans would be excited about Ohtani. He is a very unique talent. I look forward to see him play (pitch and hit) in an interleague game in a National League ballpark. His first opportunity could come in May @ Colorado.

So what could be the best single game performance for him?
I would say pitching a Perfect game and hitting for the cycle.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 172
April 6th, 2018 at 12:47:26 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

Brendan McKay (TB Rays organization) and Hunter Greene (Cinncy Reds Organization) are both potential 2-way MLB "Unicorns". Greene is sticking with pitcher for now but McKay is doing both in the minors.

I can see why Angels/MLB fans would be excited about Ohtani. He is a very unique talent. I look forward to see him play (pitch and hit) in an interleague game in a National League ballpark. His first opportunity could come in May @ Colorado.

So what could be the best single game performance for him?
I would say pitching a Perfect game and hitting for the cycle.

I doubt he will hit in games he pitches, so that is highly unlikely.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 15
April 6th, 2018 at 1:04:03 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I doubt he will hit in games he pitches, so that is highly unlikely.

National League pitchers do it all the time. This is one of the "advantages" Ohtani offers as a "good" 2 way player. He might not get many chances to do it in the American League due to the DH rule (as Terapined mentioned earlier). But interleague games will provide an opportunity.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
April 6th, 2018 at 7:13:36 PM permalink
A little side issue, which IMO could suddenly become an especially big issue for someone trying to do what he's attempting:

Do Japanese players generally, and Ohtani in particular, have a sound understanding of the traditional baseball term "slide" (in whatever language) better than a lot of recent MLB players seem to? I'm guessing Nippon Professional Baseball & Mr. Ohtani might; I certainly hope so. By "slide" I mean an act when running the basepaths which is correctly performed with one's FEET and legs, and usually NOT primarily with the hands & fingers & top of the skull. I believe pitchers need continued completely effective use of hands and fingers even more than position players. The relative utility of the skull is something I'll leave to others to speculate on; I suspect the use of that organ varies a lot among ballplayers.
"I'm against stuff like crack and math" --AxelWolf
Edpokernut
Edpokernut
  • Threads: 2
April 6th, 2018 at 7:56:47 PM permalink
This thread got me interested and rooting for him, so I just look the game up on ESPN and see he just hit his 3rd Home Run of the season in his first AB today. NICE!
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 79
April 6th, 2018 at 8:09:14 PM permalink
Quote: Edpokernut

This thread got me interested and rooting for him, so I just look the game up on ESPN and see he just hit his 3rd Home Run of the season in his first AB today. NICE!

I just saw that.
Another home run.
Unbelievable. Absolutely crushed it. Dead Center and it cleared it with lots of room. 450 feet.
Unf**kingbelievable
I was hoping for good but this is insane
His spring training has got to be the biggest con ever
The kid is actually playing like the next Babe Ruth.
Simply amazing.
How long till they move him up in the lineup. He's batting 8th lol
Last edited by: terapined on Apr 6, 2018
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"

• Jump to: