1 vote (5.26%)
4 votes (21.05%)

19 members have voted

terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 79
April 2nd, 2018 at 11:56:01 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

You're the one who brought up the Babe Ruth comparisons. The rest of us are comparing him to Ken Brett or Verdell Mathis. His greatness has yet to be proven, but his uniqueness is unquestionable.

Why didn't the Angels have him at DH yesterday? Against a right-handed starter Pujols went 0-5 and is coming off a season with a .286 obp.

Ohtani became the first player since Babe Ruth for the Boston Red Sox in 1919 to start on opening day in a non-pitching role, then also start on the mound in the initial 10 games.

I think its the smart move to only let him hit on days he is not pitching
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
SM777
SM777
  • Threads: 6
April 2nd, 2018 at 12:02:53 PM permalink
https://sports.yahoo.com/verdict-shohei-ohtanis-bat-not-good-023611674.html

Good article.

I think it's quite clear to many that the hitting experiment won't last very long.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 13
April 2nd, 2018 at 12:02:57 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Ohtani became the first player since Babe Ruth for the Boston Red Sox in 1919 to start on opening day in a non-pitching role, then also start on the mound in the initial 10 games.

I think its the smart move to only let him hit on days he is not pitching

Pretty sure someone like Leon Day must have done it several times during his career. Wes Ferrell and others could have done it. There were 30 - 40 years between Ruth doing it and integration. There were over 50 years between Ruth and the DH. The Ruth comparisons are just a lazy way of allowing ourselves to ignore baseball history
terapined
terapined
April 4th, 2018 at 5:49:09 AM permalink
That didn't take long
Love the Team reaction in the dugout giving the rookie the silent treatment

Last edited by: terapined on Apr 4, 2018
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
terapined
terapined
April 4th, 2018 at 6:32:55 PM permalink
Ohtani vs last years Cy Young winner
Home run.
I'm sure he will cool off
but
Ohtani is on fire
14 at bats, 2 homeruns batting .429
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
April 5th, 2018 at 4:12:12 AM permalink

Ohtani vs last years Cy Young winner
Home run.
I'm sure he will cool off
but
Ohtani is on fire
14 at bats, 2 homeruns batting .429

I let myself be talked into the modest hitting projections, though blindlly naysaying was also foolish.

I know that some projections had him as a Joc Pederson level hitter , which would still be unbelievable.

Comparing across eras is usually pointless. But Ruth played when the pool was a far less populated, white America and when he started, being a pro baseball player wasn't necessarily that desirable a profession.

Now, the population of baseball playing countries is what? 500 million? And 99% of men would kill to play mlb.

And out of all those people, this guy could be a top 10 pitcher and maybe a top 100 hitter at his peak. That would be astounding.

The sample size is small, but hitting like that for any stretch in MLB is quite hard. Never mind as a rookie. And he is just 23. So you also have to ask with the small samples, how often does a poor hitter just happen to have his luckiest stretch in his first few games?

His pitches have great movement and he has been clocked at 102. 102!

Enjoy it.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 119
April 5th, 2018 at 5:10:55 AM permalink
I think it's surprising it doesn't happen more often.

MLB is way too specialized, but I think it's changing (slowly).

There have been plenty of position players that are converted to relievers because of strong arms. They are probably players that are AA or AAA hitters and they think of this as their only way to the bigs. I'm sure there are plenty of players that could have major league bats and arms if they weren't forced to give up on one of those skills. With roster flexibility more important than ever, I think we will be seeing more of it (eventually).
terapined
terapined
April 5th, 2018 at 9:09:12 AM permalink
I brought up Babe Ruth comparison because many forget he was a great pitcher
One of the best pitchers in the game at his time

I can see why they don't let him hit in games he pitches
The DH rules is use it or lose it per game
Ohtani gets knocked out early, the next pitcher takes his batting spot

For those watching him. He next pitches Sunday
terapined
terapined
April 5th, 2018 at 10:42:05 AM permalink
Quote: SM777

https://sports.yahoo.com/verdict-shohei-ohtanis-bat-not-good-023611674.html

Good article.

I think it's quite clear to many that the hitting experiment won't last very long.

That article not looking so good right now
lol
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 5th, 2018 at 11:04:31 AM permalink

That article not looking so good right now
lol

You realize there are 162 games in the MLB season, right?

I get that you are rooting for him to succeed as a 2-way player since it would be cool and historical. I'm not trying to harsh your mellow.

Well, I guess I am lol. But baseball is the ultimate short-term streak sport. You need massive amounts of data to draw hard conclusions. Like multiple seasons, really.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer

• Jump to: