mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
January 23rd, 2015 at 6:38:03 AM permalink
All the news outlets are saying the Deflatriots cheated but how does a deflated football favor Brady and his receivers more than Luck and his receivers?
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 23rd, 2015 at 6:40:39 AM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

All the news outlets are saying the Deflatriots cheated but how does a deflated football favor Brady and his receivers more than Luck and his receivers?

It is easier to grip the ball, especially in rain, if the air pressure is on the low side.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
zoobrew
zoobrew
  • Threads: 13
January 23rd, 2015 at 6:43:09 AM permalink
Because every quarterback likes the football in different conditions. Rogers from Green Bay says he likes the football to be overinflated, maybe so does Luck, while Brady likes the football deflated.
texasplumr
texasplumr
January 23rd, 2015 at 6:43:12 AM permalink
But don't both teams use the same ball?
Stupid is a choice
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
January 23rd, 2015 at 6:48:29 AM permalink
Quote: texasplumr

But don't both teams use the same ball?

No, each team supplies their own balls to use when on offense. This is done in college and high school too.
texasplumr
texasplumr
January 23rd, 2015 at 6:50:18 AM permalink
Thanks! I didn't know that. I now see the basis for the argument.
Stupid is a choice
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
January 23rd, 2015 at 6:54:53 AM permalink

Yeah, me too. I thought they used the same ball. You learn something new every day.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
January 23rd, 2015 at 6:55:52 AM permalink

They're supposedly checked by the officials several hours before kickoff but then given back to the team (if I understand the process correctly). I really don't understand the logic behind that. I would think they would be locked down and accessed only by the ball boys assigned to the respective sideline.

The other thing, I don't know that I've heard an exact figure of how low the balls were. It's one thing if they went from 12.5 psi to 10.5 psi, a whole other thing if they went from 12.5 psi to 12.2 psi. In the latter case, I'm guessing game use and temperature could create a small drop in pressure.

I know Patriot haters are crying 'cheat', but I'll reserve judgement.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
January 23rd, 2015 at 7:05:28 AM permalink

Yes, this is because they want to allow each team the ability to set up the ball the way they want it (primarily for the qb) as long as it's set up within the allowable tolerances (air pressure being one of them). Some qb's like balls that have a few days of practice on them allowing the new ball sheen to be removed. Some have gone as far as to soak the footballs in water for a period of time the day before the game because they believe it improves grip.

In any case, the point is that unlike baseball (and even then the baseballs are rubbed up by the umpire crew before the game) where every ball is standard, the NFL wants each team to be able to get the football prepared in a way that best suits them within the allowable tolerances, which is what is coming under question here.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 23rd, 2015 at 7:43:56 AM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

They're supposedly checked by the officials several hours before kickoff but then given back to the team (if I understand the process correctly). I really don't understand the logic behind that. I would think they would be locked down and accessed only by the ball boys assigned to the respective sideline.

The other thing, I don't know that I've heard an exact figure of how low the balls were. It's one thing if they went from 12.5 psi to 10.5 psi, a whole other thing if they went from 12.5 psi to 12.2 psi. In the latter case, I'm guessing game use and temperature could create a small drop in pressure.

I know Patriot haters are crying 'cheat', but I'll reserve judgement.

I understand from news reports last night that all but one of the balls was two pounds low. A significant difference. The report also mentioned that the pressure of some of the balls was tested during the game. I wonder why the low pressure wasn't mentioned at that time?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
January 23rd, 2015 at 8:20:10 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I understand from news reports last night that all but one of the balls was two pounds low. A significant difference. The report also mentioned that the pressure of some of the balls was tested during the game. I wonder why the low pressure wasn't mentioned at that time?

Yes, I have heard the two pound difference too, but when Belicheck made mention of the 3/10 of a psi difference in his press conference, and gave several examples, it made me wonder if he knows something more than is being reported.

As I understand it, the balls were determined to be low at halftime and reinflated for the second half.

No matter what happened or didn't happen, it wasn't the difference maker in the result of the game.
7star4now
7star4now
  • Threads: 33
January 23rd, 2015 at 8:29:00 AM permalink
There's one thing on this I've not seen mentioned.

Belichick acted as if any considerations of how the ball was prepared were solely Brady's.

Given Belichick's control freak makeup, this seems laughable.

Belichick has over a dozen other offensive players (backs, receivers, tight ends & reserves) who have to hang onto the ball,especially when wet & they have issues:

"Ridley is the best running back on the Patriots, despite the fumbling issue."

Anyone who ever played youth or high school knows the more you can sink your fingertips into the ball, the easier it is to hang onto-especially wet.

So are we to believe Belichick knew he had a fumbling issue, coincidentally the balls are deflated , & he knew nothing about it?

Belichick may track his player's bowel movements -it's ludicrous to think he gave no thought to this issue.

The reality is that if Brady, as a first time offender (personally) takes the fall he may get a game suspension next season.

If Belichick, with his priors (incl the largest fine in NFL history) gets caught- he'd likely grt suspended at least a year.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
January 23rd, 2015 at 8:44:24 AM permalink
I hear what you're saying 7star, and although I think he tracks a lot of things, I really believe he didn't know about this. Listening to Mark Brunell (ESPN analyst) talk about is 15+ years in the NFL, he said this topic never came up one time with the head coach. The ball condition was strictly between the QB and the equipment manager. And the equipment manager always, always follows the lead of the players, be it balls, pads, helmet, etc. I'm leaning that at some point Brady let the manager know he liked a lower inflated ball and that the instructions were followed. Now that doesn't excuse Belichick, he's still in charge. In any case, I'd expect to see draft pick(s) taken away.

As someone on TV made the analogy yesterday, the equipment guys are simply Downing and Dawson, Brady is Kendrick, and Belichick is Jessup. The question is if Kendrick ordered the Code Red on his own or on the order (or acknowledgement) of Jessup.
Dicenor33
Dicenor33
  • Threads: 1
January 23rd, 2015 at 9:28:53 AM permalink
The balls have been deflated, asteroids are near by, everything points out to the end of the world!
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
January 23rd, 2015 at 9:48:08 AM permalink
How much pressure could be lost if they used really hot air to inflate them for the initial check? By the time the game started, the hot air cooled and lost pressure, plus the temperature outside could affect it as well.

Anybody care to do the math? Would the air have to be so hot for this to have happened that the ball would have spontaneously combusted?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 23rd, 2015 at 10:04:08 AM permalink
I heard something today that the low pressure was noticed by the guy who intercepted the ball towards the end of the first half. No interception, nobody knows about the balls being underinflated outside the Pats. So I'm guessing there was cheating going on.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
January 23rd, 2015 at 10:17:21 AM permalink
I don't think fines or a draft pick are enough. The league was going to kick Marshawn Lynch out of the game for wearing gold cleats, so tampering with equipment should carry a heavy penalty.

Who's to say that it results would not have been different? It's a game of inches, and having a better grip to throw or catch the ball could have been the deciding factor in the early scores. In addition a team down by two scores plays very differently than one down by three.

Brady should be suspended from the Superbowl, and fined.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
January 23rd, 2015 at 10:18:00 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I heard something today that the low pressure was noticed by the guy who intercepted the ball towards the end of the first half. No interception, nobody knows about the balls being underinflated outside the Pats. So I'm guessing there was cheating going on.

There are also reports that the Ravens tipped off the Colts and possibly the league as well.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
January 23rd, 2015 at 10:18:41 AM permalink
My first thoughts on deflategate were that it was a 'loser crying foul type of thing' and really no big deal. As the past couple days have unraveled, my opinion has changed.

In fairness, I should disclose that I don't care for Bill Belichick. He just rubs me the wrong way. But I still try to look at things with an open mind. But here's the facts: He has been caught cheating at least once before, maybe twice depending on how you look at things.

He is a guy that likes to gain an advantage. Some things within the rules and very smart on his part. He was the first coach I know of that always deferred when winning the coin flip. Putting his defense on the field first. The advantage is that if you can possess the ball last at the end of the first half and score on that possession and then get the ball to start the second half and score on that possession, you can quickly open up a big lead in the second half. New England des this to perfection most of the time and now many if not most other coaches have adopted his 'defer' approach.

To me the unusual formations thing that Baltimore complained about in this years playoff game falls in the same category. New, and innovated and WITHIN the rules. I give coach Belichick credit for finding new ideas and concepts within the rules. That's great.

But 'spygate' was outside the rules. It was clearly written that you can not do that and deflating the footballs below 12.5 pound of pressure is as well. So, my conclusion is that coach Belichicks desire to gain an advantage doesn't always fall within the rules.

The fact that the balls were checked before the game by officials and later 11 of the 12 balls were deflated below allowable limits says to me that this was no accident. Someone deliberately did this. Someone knowingly broke the rules and although it seems a minor deal, that deliberately breaking the rules makes it a bigger deal to me. Brady and Belichick were not very believable to me.
kewlj
kewlj
January 23rd, 2015 at 10:21:49 AM permalink
The other thing about this situation is that I learned this week how the balls are handled. Why should the teams, QB's, kickers and equipment managers even have access to the balls in the first place. The league should control the balls at all times. The idea that QB's can break balls in to their liking or inflate them to their liking as in this case is non-sense. The league should control the balls and when the ref puts an official regulation ball in play that is the ball the QB plays with. That seems the fair way to handle things.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
January 23rd, 2015 at 10:23:50 AM permalink
Bill Belichick is the Chad Knaus of the NFL
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
January 23rd, 2015 at 10:38:01 AM permalink
I agree there is some shenanigans happening somewhere, especially if the air pressure difference is significant. I just think that the common thought is to immediately put all blame on Belichick because of his history and the general disdain toward him. Yet the public wants to give Brady a pass because of his image. But maybe, just maybe, this one falls on Brady.

I completely understand why teams want to allow their players to break in the balls the way they want as long as they fall within prescribed parameters. I don't see this being changed because the teams would want it (which make up the NFL), and the players union wants it, for the same reason, it makes the team and player more effective.

What I don't understand is once the team turns the balls over to the refs for inspection, why they are ever given back to the team before the game? If anything, I think that will change.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 23rd, 2015 at 10:41:01 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Nope.

Some news outlets did initially report this erroneously.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
January 23rd, 2015 at 11:03:17 AM permalink
Let me guess. The one ball that wasn't deflated was for field goals. Right?
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
January 23rd, 2015 at 12:00:33 PM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

Let me guess. The one ball that wasn't deflated was for field goals. Right?

Actually, the kicking balls are from a completely different pool of balls, which is shared by both teams.

You can read about it in the NFL rulebook.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 23rd, 2015 at 12:53:50 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

The other thing about this situation is that I learned this week how the balls are handled. Why should the teams, QB's, kickers and equipment managers even have access to the balls in the first place. The league should control the balls at all times. The idea that QB's can break balls in to their liking or inflate them to their liking as in this case is non-sense. The league should control the balls and when the ref puts an official regulation ball in play that is the ball the QB plays with. That seems the fair way to handle things.

There should be ONE standard for ball inflation. An official from the league should confirm that ALL balls are set to that standard. No TEAM shoud be responsible in any way for the balls.

On a separate note, there should not be separate balls for kicking. If it is slightly more difficult to kick a regular ball, then so be it.
zoobrew
zoobrew
January 23rd, 2015 at 1:21:12 PM permalink
One good thing about DeflateGate, is that it is overshadowing the overturned Dez Bryant's catch and the resulting $88,987,654,321.88 law suit against the NFL by a prison inmate. As the Cowboy's shouldn't have even been in the game, I plan on suing the prisoner if he is successful on behalf of the Lion fans.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 23rd, 2015 at 1:26:52 PM permalink
Although people say this one game wouldn't make a difference in outcome, if you consider the possibility it's been going on the entire season that could effect the outcome on who reaches the SB.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
January 23rd, 2015 at 1:27:43 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

There should be ONE standard for ball inflation. An official from the league should confirm that ALL balls are set to that standard. No TEAM shoud be responsible in any way for the balls.

On a separate note, there should not be separate balls for kicking. If it is slightly more difficult to kick a regular ball, then so be it.

I agree with one standard range for inflation (which there is) as well as some other attributes. I also agree that once the balls are checked by the officiating crew, they should be locked down and not accessible by the teams except on the field of play.

I don't necessarily agree that each team needs to play with a ball that has been prepared only one way. And I highly doubt that the teams nor the players do either. There is all kinds of equipment (helmets, pads, cleats, kicking tee's, etc) that differs from team to team, so why would the ball be any different? Again, all of these things need to fall within established tolerances.

For example, in auto racing, all the car set-up's are slightly different based on the driver, the track, the anticipated weather, and many other things. In most forms of racing that I'm familiar with, the governing body establishes tolerance thresholds for the different variables. There use to be (and maybe it still exists) a series of races every year with drivers from the different types of racing that all use cars that were identically set up. If this is what you are proposing for football, then I guess we can agree to disagree.

In football, I think a small part of the innovation, strategy and/or competitive advantage comes from having variety in some of these aspects of the game as long as they fall within established rules or tolerances
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
January 23rd, 2015 at 1:47:53 PM permalink

I agree with one standard range for inflation (which there is) as well as some other attributes. I also agree that once the balls are checked by the officiating crew, they should be locked down and not accessible by the teams except on the field of play.

I don't necessarily agree that each team needs to play with a ball that has been prepared only one way. And I highly doubt that the teams nor the players do either. There is all kinds of equipment (helmets, pads, cleats, kicking tee's, etc) that differs from team to team, so why would the ball be any different? Again, all of these things need to fall within established tolerances.

For example, in auto racing, all the car set-up's are slightly different based on the driver, the track, the anticipated weather, and many other things. In most forms of racing that I'm familiar with, the governing body establishes tolerance thresholds for the different variables. There use to be (and maybe it still exists) a series of races every year with drivers from the different types of racing that all use cars that were identically set up. If this is what you are proposing for football, then I guess we can agree to disagree.

In football, I think a small part of the innovation, strategy and/or competitive advantage comes from having variety in some of these aspects of the game as long as they fall within established rules or tolerances

I agree. What the Pats did is akin to corking or pine tarring a bat in baseball. It may be the player's bat, but modifications have to fall within the established specifications.

I recall Marty McSorley of the Los Angeles Kings hockey club getting penalized because the curve in the blade of his stick exceeded the 1/2" spec in the rulebook. Playing short handed cost the team the match.

There should be a penalty to Tom Brady. I think he should at least be suspended from the Superbowl.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
January 23rd, 2015 at 1:49:35 PM permalink
NFL has not contacted Tom Brady.
There is no investigation.
Goodell is a wimp.
Therefore, no punishment for cheating.
Sad.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
RS
RS
January 23rd, 2015 at 1:52:28 PM permalink
They should suspend all related parties from the "big game" as well as give them an actual fine. Fine them $1 million. If you keep fining players like $5k or $10k, they're gonna keep doing whatever they want because they can easily afford throwing away that money.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
January 23rd, 2015 at 3:02:32 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

There should be a penalty to Tom Brady. I think he should at least be suspended from the Superbowl.

I think that's ridiculous, unless they have proof that he was culpable.

I realize the NFL is basically creating its own justice system and that "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't apply to league disciplinary decisions. But there's no way to prove any one individual intentionally did this.

Now regardless of our collective opinions, the truth is the NFL wouldn't suspend him even if they had video evidence of him personally deflating the balls. Because of money. But that's neither here nor there...
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
January 23rd, 2015 at 3:07:05 PM permalink
I'd be stunned if anyone was suspended for the Super Bowl, not in the league's best interest. I'd be surprised if anything in terms of any possible findings or punishment is announced until after the game. I guess suspensions are possible at that time, certainly fines. But, why not hit them at an institutional level with draft pick reductions to send a message that the team needs to have better oversight of their actions.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
January 23rd, 2015 at 3:13:08 PM permalink

I'd be stunned if anyone was suspended for the Super Bowl, not in the league's best interest. I'd be surprised if anything in terms of any possible findings or punishment is announced until after the game. I guess suspensions are possible at that time, certainly fines. But, why not hit them at an institutional level with draft pick reductions to send a message that the team needs to have better oversight of their actions.

I believe loss of draft picks is the proscribed penalty for this violation anyway. I bet that's all that happens.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
January 23rd, 2015 at 3:28:57 PM permalink
What do you bet every single game ball gets measured five minutes before kickoff and between each quarter, if not constantly.

Unless you take an entire draft away from them (way too harsh), you could never fine anyone enough to make a difference. I believe there is precedent of going after salary cap room, that could round out losing a first round draft pick.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
January 23rd, 2015 at 5:07:32 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

It would be much more difficult because of all the crap that gets on it from being played during the game and deflation from the game and things of that nature. That's why those balls are supposed to be brand spanking new. Kickers and Punters already have enough variables to deal with, trust me. A clump of dirt on the ball could completely impact the way the ball behaves after the Kicker or Punter makes contact with the ball.

It's not like being a QB or receiver where you use your hands to throw or catch the ball, the kicking game is a blunt object striking a blunt object, so there's no way to adjust for a ball covered in dirt.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
January 23rd, 2015 at 5:27:43 PM permalink
Temperature could affect inflation. Could the ball be warm at minimum standard then lose inflation as it cools in the cold weather? Wouldn't be cheating if the ball wasn't messed with. perhaps my theory doesn't apply or wouldn't work, I'm not sure.
I am a robot.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
January 23rd, 2015 at 6:27:25 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Temperature could affect inflation. Could the ball be warm at minimum standard then lose inflation as it cools in the cold weather? Wouldn't be cheating if the ball wasn't messed with. perhaps my theory doesn't apply or wouldn't work, I'm not sure.

I'm not going to do the math here, but if you use the ideal gas law I believe it will show that the maximum possible temperature drop would not reduce the pressure by 2 full PSI.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
January 23rd, 2015 at 6:49:27 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I'm not going to do the math here, but if you use the ideal gas law I believe it will show that the maximum possible temperature drop would not reduce the pressure by 2 full PSI.

Wasn't sure but did doubt it thinking this would be part of common sense if true.
I am a robot.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
January 23rd, 2015 at 9:40:58 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

You really don't need to use the whole ideal gas law here. If the temp got down to 5C (278K) from 22C (295K) inside (a very generous range)... the percent decrease in pressure from temperature decrease is 100% - 278K/295K × 100 = 5.76%.

It would be less than a psi at best.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
January 24th, 2015 at 3:43:34 AM permalink
There is a rotten fish in Denmark. If Brady wasn't in on deflating the balls then he had to have noticed the deflation the first time he gripped a ball in the game. So his "poor little innocent me" routine isn't flying with me.
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
January 24th, 2015 at 4:43:12 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

You really don't need to use the whole ideal gas law here. If the temp got down to 5C (278K) from 22C (295K) inside (a very generous range)... the percent decrease in pressure from temperature decrease is 100% - 278K/295K × 100 = 5.76%.

Working backwards from your formula, suppose they used 59C (138.2 F) air to inflate the ball, the outside temperature was 0C, and 12.75psi was within the valid range. That would result in 100% - 273/332 * 100 = 17.8% which would give a final psi of 10.48.

The question is, is 59c too hot? Surely the inspectors would be able to feel that on the outside of the ball?
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
January 24th, 2015 at 6:55:05 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

The other thing about this situation is that I learned this week how the balls are handled..

JUST THIS WEEK??? I assumed you were an expert long ago.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
January 24th, 2015 at 7:23:21 AM permalink
Quote: wudged

Quote: tringlomane

Working backwards from your formula, suppose they used 59C (138.2 F) air to inflate the ball, the outside temperature was 0C, and 12.75psi was within the valid range. That would result in 100% - 273/332 * 100 = 17.8% which would give a final psi of 10.48.

The question is, is 59c too hot? Surely the inspectors would be able to feel that on the outside of the ball?

I don't want to get into predicting how much the temperature change might change the air pressure, since there are a number of other variables I couldn't reasonably estimate (such as the elasticity of the ball bladder and cover.) However, I will point out that if you are trying to use the ideal gas equation to make an estimate of the pressure change, you must use the absolute pressures, not the gage pressures, just as you must use absolute temperatures.

Making just this adjustment to wudged's calculation would mean the 17.8% reduction in absolute temperature would lead to a 17.8% reduction in absolute pressure or 17.8% * (12.75 + 14.7) = 4.89 psi reduction (a reduction in the absolute pressure as well as in the gage pressure.) For triglomane's estimated absolute temperature reduction of 5.76% and assuming the same starting gage pressure of 12.75 psi that wudged assumed, this would lead to 5.76% * (12.75 + 14.7) = 1.58 psi pressure reduction.
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
January 24th, 2015 at 9:44:20 AM permalink
What do people think are the chances of a conclusion damaging to the Patriots, relevant to the Super Bowl? I've heard grumblings about Brady being suspended from the game, which would would probably make an early Seahawks bet to be quite favorable.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
January 24th, 2015 at 10:37:56 AM permalink
Quote: Venthus

What do people think are the chances of a conclusion damaging to the Patriots, relevant to the Super Bowl? I've heard grumblings about Brady being suspended from the game, which would would probably make an early Seahawks bet to be quite favorable.

I don't think any league action will happen before the Super Bowl, and most certainly not against Brady. It's not in the league's best interest financially to do so.
kewlj
kewlj
January 24th, 2015 at 11:22:17 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

JUST THIS WEEK??? I assumed you were an expert long ago.

Yes, just this week, I learned how the NFL balls were handled. I am an expert and long ago learned how MY balls are handled if that is what you are alluding to. I can teach you if you would like. ;)
HowMany
HowMany
January 24th, 2015 at 4:08:40 PM permalink
Deflated balls are also easier to secure and result in fewer fumbles. I saw a chart a few days ago, and the Patriots average far fewer fumbles that their opponents over several years.
  • Jump to: