thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
April 3rd, 2014 at 9:17:50 PM permalink
We do this every year with some friends, and we've adapted it to the NFL as well. I'd like to run a little competition here as I did for the NFL two years ago.

Take the 16 NHL play off teams (not yet decided, of course) and rank them from 16 - 1. For every playoff series a team wins, you score points equal to their ranking. Player with the most points, wins. Ties are decided by having the Stanley Cup champions higher, second tie breaker is the runner's up. After that shared victory.

So if you pick the Red Wings with 8 points and then win the whole thing you'd score 32 points. If you picked them at only 1 point, you'd only have 4 points.

No entry fee, I'll put up $25 US (payable by Paypal) to the winner, who takes all. Entries via private message only, giving the teams in order 16 - 1 (by city and nickname). I will post mine publicly before the deadline, but best to go private as there is some advantage in not following the popular picks, enter before midnight PST before the first playoff game. I'll post picks here, and track everyone round by round.

Hopefully the moderators don't have a problem with this.

Question or further explanations?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
April 4th, 2014 at 4:15:19 AM permalink
Sounds like fun. Just remind us once the 16 teams are determined.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 4th, 2014 at 6:26:42 AM permalink
I'll play
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 4th, 2014 at 6:35:31 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Hopefully the moderators don't have a problem with this.

The money? No.

The bet? No.

Bringing up the playoffs? I hate you -_-

I'm in.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
April 4th, 2014 at 6:42:13 AM permalink
I'm in as well
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
April 4th, 2014 at 7:15:32 AM permalink
+1 For me
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
April 4th, 2014 at 7:22:23 AM permalink
Count me in, sounds like a unique contest.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
April 4th, 2014 at 8:10:07 AM permalink
I don't know if I can enter as I am still way to depressed about the collapse of the Canucks to watch hockey.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Face
Administrator
Face
April 4th, 2014 at 8:25:11 AM permalink
Quote: kenarman

I don't know if I can enter as I am still way to depressed about the collapse of the Canucks to watch hockey.

That's cute.

Division champions last year. Stanley Cup finalists in 2011. And you're "depressed"?

You know nothing of depression, good sir. NOTHING.

At least your guys rioted. Mine just wept into their purses ;)
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 4th, 2014 at 10:59:26 AM permalink
My Schadenfraude on the Canucks is high this season. Currently only the Habs will be representing the home of hockey in the playoffs. That's fine by me.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 4th, 2014 at 11:04:33 AM permalink
I'll play because I'm a sucker for a fun bet. I have no problem with your doing it. Maybe total ignorance about the sport and the teams will serve me better than thinking I know anything at all about the sport (re: football and NCAA Bball). lol...
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
April 4th, 2014 at 12:46:03 PM permalink
Quote: Face

That's cute.

Division champions last year. Stanley Cup finalists in 2011. And you're "depressed"?

You know nothing of depression, good sir. NOTHING.

At least your guys rioted. Mine just wept into their purses ;)

you guys are lucky. I am stuck watching Crosby and Malkin and not living up to their potential.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
kenarman
kenarman
April 4th, 2014 at 12:47:19 PM permalink

My Schadenfraude on the Canucks is high this season. Currently only the Habs will be representing the home of hockey in the playoffs. That's fine by me.

If I can get over my depression to watch at all I would sooner cheer for the Habs than the Leafs.
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 4th, 2014 at 1:16:04 PM permalink

If I can get over my depression to watch at all I would sooner cheer for the Habs than the Leafs.

I'd sooner drink rye whiskey than cheer for the Leafs.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
April 4th, 2014 at 2:54:40 PM permalink
This is a game any self respecting southerner would avoid like the plague.

I'm in!
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
April 4th, 2014 at 3:12:35 PM permalink
Count me in, sounds like fun
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 12th, 2014 at 7:25:47 PM permalink
Okay, folks.

The play off teams are set, though the brackets are not. Last games are today and tomorrow, with the Playoffs kicking off on Tuesday or Wednesday.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/stanleycup.htm is your home for all the brackets.

The teams are:

Western Conference
Colorado Avalanche
St Louis Blues
Anaheim Ducks
San Jose Sharks
LA Kings
Chicago Blackhawks
Minnesota Wild
Dallas Stars

Eastern Conference
Boston Bruins
Tampa Bay Lightning
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Rangers
Montreal Canadiens
Philadelphia Flyers
Colombus Blue Jackets
AND... for their 23rd straight season, the Detroit Redwings

Entries via PM please. List the teams from 16 - 1. 16 being 'gonna win the Cup' to 1 being 'might as well not bother cancelling that golfing holiday'.

Entries must be time stamped before the puck drops in the first game to count. I will post all the entries here once they are in. I will post mine publicly about 24 hours before the first game. $25 to the WoV member with the best points score.

Any questions, please ask before hand. Judges decision is final. No alternative prize will be surprised. Void where prohibited.
wudged
wudged
April 13th, 2014 at 9:03:18 AM permalink
Any tiebreaker like how many games/total goals in the final round?
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 13th, 2014 at 3:42:26 PM permalink
Quote: wudged

Any tiebreaker like how many games/total goals in the final round?

Ties are decided by having the Stanley Cup champions higher, second tie breaker is the runner's up. After that shared victory.

(from the rules on first page)

I'm tempted to add a dollar to the prize pool for every game the Red Wings win by the way but think that might skew people's choices though (or will it?).
wudged
wudged
April 13th, 2014 at 4:20:33 PM permalink

Ties are decided by having the Stanley Cup champions higher, second tie breaker is the runner's up. After that shared victory.

(from the rules on first page)

Doh! Thanks, I completely forgot in the short time since this was originally posted.
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 13th, 2014 at 5:01:40 PM permalink
Quote: wudged

Doh! Thanks, I completely forgot in the short time since this was originally posted.

Not a problem at all!
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 14th, 2014 at 1:12:28 PM permalink
I have 4 entries so far. The schedule is now locked in. Entries close at 7pm EST Wednesday.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyweek.htm?navid=nav-sch-main#
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 14th, 2014 at 9:20:57 PM permalink
The playoffs are bracketed this year, so I have used a very scientific approach to come up with this list.

16 St Louis Blues
15 Detroit Red Wings

14 Pittsburgh Penguins
13 Anaheim Ducks

12 Montreal Canadiens
11 San Jose Sharks
10 New York Rangers
9 Colorado Avalanche

8 Chicago Blackhawks
7 Boston Bruins
6 Philadelphia Flyers
5 LA Kings
4 Tampa Bay Lightning
3 Minnesota Wild
2 Dallas Stars
1 Colombus Blue Jackets

Picks like that show what sort of value there is in this free roll competition :)
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
April 14th, 2014 at 9:44:08 PM permalink
You must have taken a break from watching the blues. They have been horrific.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
April 14th, 2014 at 11:31:32 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

You must have taken a break from watching the blues. They have been horrific.

Yep, I'll be thrilled if they beat the Hawks. Standard April Blues play...I have seen it for wayyyyyyyyyy too many years now. Actually this April has been worse than the average collapse. I literally compared them to my former high school team recently. Yes, their defense has been that bad.
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 14th, 2014 at 11:34:59 PM permalink
--edited---
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
April 16th, 2014 at 10:28:50 AM permalink

I have 4 entries so far. The schedule is now locked in. Entries close at 7pm EST Wednesday. http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyweek.htm?navid=nav-sch-main#

Hope we get more before the puck drops tonight, but at the end of the day, the NHL is still a sport for die hard fans and very few others. Thanks again for organizing thecesspit!
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
  • Threads: 24
April 16th, 2014 at 10:30:39 AM permalink
Like most people do when the weather warms up, I expect the Pens to put the Jackets away.
10 eyes for an eye. 10 teeth for a tooth. 10 bucks for a buck?! Hit the bad guys where it hurts the most: the face and the wallet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
April 16th, 2014 at 11:09:04 AM permalink
Quote: Lemieux66

Like most people do when the weather warms up, I expect the Pens to put the Jackets away.

Local radio hockey talk mentions Fleury has not broken NINETY percent save percentage any of his last 4 playoff years. That is some god-awful goaltending!!!
Regardless, I did pick the Penguins to win it all. Maybe a lot of 5-4 games......
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
  • Threads: 24
April 16th, 2014 at 11:13:00 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Local radio hockey talk mentions Fleury has not broken NINETY percent save percentage any of his last 4 playoff years. That is some god-awful goaltending!!!
Regardless, I did pick the Penguins to win it all. Maybe a lot of 5-4 games......

It's not the natural way of going about winning the Cup, but I am fine with this.
10 eyes for an eye. 10 teeth for a tooth. 10 bucks for a buck?! Hit the bad guys where it hurts the most: the face and the wallet.
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 16th, 2014 at 12:54:13 PM permalink
Last couple of hours. Good handful of entries, so there's still some decent value in the competition....
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
April 16th, 2014 at 1:01:04 PM permalink
had friends in town. Am getting my picks in now. Thanks for running this. One more chance for me to showcase my last place skills.....
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
GWAE
GWAE
April 16th, 2014 at 1:12:45 PM permalink
Raleigh, you stand no chance against me. Did you see the results for the NBA basketball poll. I ran away with it.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
April 16th, 2014 at 1:22:00 PM permalink
After you see my entry, you will be running to pick your lottery numbers, based on your esp prowess.
Face
Administrator
Face
April 16th, 2014 at 1:45:35 PM permalink
As a Leafs fan, I will expect a beginning that will boggle the mind and violate every law of probability, only to wither and fade somewhere past midway.
kenarman
kenarman
April 16th, 2014 at 2:48:21 PM permalink

As a Leafs fan, I will expect a beginning that will boggle the mind and violate every law of probability, only to wither and fade somewhere past midway.

Face as a Canuck fan I think my pain is worse than yours. Deep down you knew in your heart the Leafs would never get there. I, however, had no clue at the beginning of the season that the Canucks were capable of such a collapse this year.
kenarman
kenarman
April 16th, 2014 at 2:50:58 PM permalink
My gamble for stardom in the contest is to have the Bruins knocked out in the first round, I won't have to wait too long to see how I might do.
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 16th, 2014 at 2:53:28 PM permalink

My gamble for stardom in the contest is to have the Bruins knocked out in the first round, I won't have to wait too long to see how I might do.

I refer the honorable gentleman to bid of '15' on the RedWings :)
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
April 16th, 2014 at 3:08:09 PM permalink

Face as a Canuck fan I think my pain is worse than yours. Deep down you knew in your heart the Leafs would never get there. I, however, had no clue at the beginning of the season that the Canucks were capable of such a collapse this year.

I'll match my hapless, and mostly heartless, 2006 Stanley Cup champ Hurricane's woes with anyone on here. Win the Cup and then not be able to even get to the [expletive] playoffs for the next 7 years? Oh sure, we are usually in the playoff hunt every year, just to come up 2 or 3 points shy of getting in. But this year was going to be different. We actually spent a boatload of money to bring in good players, who quickly adopted the same attitude this team has had since '06.

Anybody else have a team captain who has been last, or nearly last in +/- on their team for the majority of the last 5 seasons?
Face
Administrator
Face
April 16th, 2014 at 3:49:45 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

Anybody else have a team captain who has been last, or nearly last in +/- on their team for the majority of the last 5 seasons?

Pfft. That's easy when your team captain is an overrated defenseman, which the Leafs' is.

You guys and your "woes" are so cute. Last time my team won the Cup, my grandfather was younger than I am now.

Talking to a Leafs fan about woes... get from 'round here with that mess XD
Face
Administrator
Face
April 16th, 2014 at 3:50:43 PM permalink

You mean the Leafs that at one point were leading the NHL in the standings? Not the East, but the entire NHL?

See post above =p
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 16th, 2014 at 4:00:56 PM permalink
The Puck has dropped. Entries closed. Watch this space for the entries, some time this evening.
tringlomane
tringlomane
April 16th, 2014 at 9:37:29 PM permalink
Listened to the Canadiens/Lightning overtime in French on my phone while g/f was driving us home from a late dinner. She is probably already lamenting the next two months...*blush*
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
April 16th, 2014 at 9:45:23 PM permalink
It's been a great first day. I loved my Anaheim -165 bet. Of course, it's not looking as good at the moment.
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 16th, 2014 at 11:05:19 PM permalink
Here's the runners and riders. Can't quite squeeze into one box. Please send errors in typing up. I have one query out to Face on one of his picks that was unclear.

Average is the overall average rating. So if you believe the wisdom of the crowds, it's a Boston/St Louis Final.

Av.SWCessKenarmanRaleighCGWAESOOPOOO-GambitFaceWudgedBBBFinsRuleParadigm
Pittsburgh13.901415121516151414121511
Boston13.2076161214161615151315
St Louis11.60161313815104161689
Anaheim11.501371041113913141616
Colorado11.209414137141510131014
Chicago10.80881514131211751412
San Jose9.9011161111991341168
Montreal9.001214391221212977
New York8.7010106661176101113
LA7.305511655898126
Philadelphia6.9063838110117910
Detroit6.5015119104458131
Tampa Bay4.90427210665255
Dallas4.20212472822322
Minnesota3.9039553331443
Columbus2.5011211713614
GWAE
GWAE
April 17th, 2014 at 3:18:22 AM permalink
looks like if the West conf finals are LA vs chic I will have this locked up.
Face
Administrator
Face
April 17th, 2014 at 5:07:27 AM permalink

Can't quite squeeze into one box.

This is an intimate affair. Perhaps some abbreviations would clear that up. BBB and OG alone would probably work =)
GWAE
GWAE
April 17th, 2014 at 5:20:57 AM permalink

This is an intimate affair. Perhaps some abbreviations would clear that up. BBB and OG alone would probably work =)

to go along with SW and Avg
tringlomane
tringlomane
April 17th, 2014 at 9:17:56 AM permalink
How did Pittsburgh get the highest rating?

When I read about the penguins on the Internet, I get reminded of the common quote from 2+2 poker: "LOL Fleury". Barely beat Columbus last night.
Face
Administrator
Face
April 17th, 2014 at 9:23:17 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

How did Pittsburgh get the highest rating?

Mine was match ups. I don't think Pittsburgh is strong, just stronger than who they play / who I think they will play.

Cindy Crosby is the Tom Brady of the NHL. I surely hope they face the most crushing of defeats, and I will gladly take the loss of points in exchange for the joy of them losing to the ridiculous Bluejackets.
  • Jump to: