Thread Rating:

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 27th, 2013 at 7:37:24 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I'm in.

First question, is the over/under just a tie breaker or another bet?

Over/Under is a bet that you make on the total combined score for the game. For example, if NE plays BUF and the O/U is 52, you'd bet Over if you think the two teams will combine for more than 52 points and Under for less than 52. 52 would be a push. It's just an option if you like to play totals, or don't see enough AtS bets you like.

Quote:

Regarding the above, not sure I understand the consequences. Let's say a player has his life go underwater and continued participation is too much. Perhaps he forfeits right from the get-go. I think we all know he ain't paying for 16 or so losses. As to whether someone might be honest enough to pay the winner some $55-60 or so on his second forfeiture, no comment.

So I am assuming this all means players who forfeit get one freebie, pay on a second such if they want to continue to play, and are just booted on a third with everyone assuming they are not betting further?

It seems that there is still some misunderstanding on the way winning/losing works. This is not a week-by-week game, it's for the entire season, so nobody has to pay for sixteen (or however many) weeks of anything.

The amount that each player must pay is based simply on winning percentage at the end of the season, so if a player stops playing, his winning percentage is simply frozen wherever it is and he would have to pay the winner the amount according to the Rules. For example, if you went 0-5 in Week 1, you'd pretty much definitely want to continue playing, otherwise you'd almost definitely owe in excess of $50.

The way it works is that a player can deliberately announce he/she is, "Skipping," a week and that is the first skip with no penalty. Alternatively, even if the player doesn't announce a Skip, he/she gets the skip with no penalty simply for forgetting to make Picks on a one-time basis.

If the player misses a second week, the player may accept a record of 0-5 for that week and play on, or the player may forfeit and have his/her winning percentage frozen wherever it was prior to the second missed week.

If the player misses a third week, (after deciding to accept 0-5 for the second missed week) then the player's record would not be penalized, but the player would automatically forfeit and the winning percentage would remain as it was prior to the third missed week.

Quote:

What's the difference between forfeiting and a record of 0-5?

If you missed a second week, then you might take a record of 0-5 if you thought you still had a chance of winning. If you thought that you could not absorb 0-5 and still have any chance to win, then you would forfeit and freeze your record.

Quote:

PS: final question, is all this forfeit business really necessary? What's the point?

It is absolutely necessary!

The reason is that because a player could simply bat 1.000 in Week 1, or end up with a nearly unsustainable winning percentage in a subsequent week, and simply choose to stop making picks, thereby locking in victory. The Skip Week is a courtesy because people have lives outside of this game, and the new second week missed rule is also in that vein, except we don't want it getting abused for record protection...hence the 0-5 or forfeit.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 27th, 2013 at 7:56:52 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

This is not a week-by-week game, it's for the entire season, so nobody has to pay for sixteen (or however many) weeks of anything.

OK, I didn't play last year so that was something to clear up. Also the forfeit thing makes more sense now, thanks.

Over/Under ...It's just an option if you like to play totals, or don't see enough AtS bets you like.

OK, so players make 5 predictions, all of them, or none of them, can be over/under in type, totally optional?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Mission146
Mission146
August 27th, 2013 at 8:01:10 AM permalink
Marketing Stuff

Greetings! I have a few matters to discuss.

1.) I am considering sending PM invites to all WoV Members who have joined the Forum this month, they may well have less than 25 posts, and it is conceivable that some of them might have interest, but missed this thread.

I can understand where this would be a controversial decision, as established Forum Members are less likely to welch on the payment for having a reputation to protect here and clearly enjoying the site for some period of time. Therefore, I am putting the matter to a vote...PM Invite Members who have joined this month...yes or no...first five votes takes it. You must be playing for your vote to count.

2.) Friends and Family

Yes! Tell your friends and family, anyone who you think could be interested in the game, if you wish. There may be a, "Split," agreement, but that's part of it, is it not? I suppose it's technically a hedge, but we have a 25-Team Fantasy Football League I am in this year, (if all of your players are actually starting that week, that's about the best you can do) and I have a split agreement with someone in the league...

Anyway, this is technically open to all WoV Members, just those with under 25 posts do not explicitly receive invitations, so someone you know is certainly welcome to join the Forum and play.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
August 27th, 2013 at 8:05:45 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

OK, I didn't play last year so that was something to clear up. Also the forfeit thing makes more sense now, thanks.

OK, so players make 5 predictions, all of them, or none of them, can be over/under in type, totally optional?

You're welcome!

That's right, five predictions per week. All of them or none of them can be Over/Under, any number of them can. Also, every player has one optional, "Confidence," pick per week, which counts as two wins or two losses. That's also an optional designation, I'd say around half of the participants used a, "Confidence," pick on any given week last year.
Mission146
Mission146
August 27th, 2013 at 8:13:52 AM permalink

Marketing Stuff

Greetings! I have a few matters to discuss.

1.) I am considering sending PM invites to all WoV Members who have joined the Forum this month, they may well have less than 25 posts, and it is conceivable that some of them might have interest, but missed this thread.

I can understand where this would be a controversial decision, as established Forum Members are less likely to welch on the payment for having a reputation to protect here and clearly enjoying the site for some period of time. Therefore, I am putting the matter to a vote...PM Invite Members who have joined this month...yes or no...first five votes takes it. You must be playing for your vote to count.

2.) Friends and Family

Yes! Tell your friends and family, anyone who you think could be interested in the game, if you wish. There may be a, "Split," agreement, but that's part of it, is it not? I suppose it's technically a hedge, but we have a 25-Team Fantasy Football League I am in this year, (if all of your players are actually starting that week, that's about the best you can do) and I have a split agreement with someone in the league...

Anyway, this is technically open to all WoV Members, just those with under 25 posts do not explicitly receive invitations, so someone you know is certainly welcome to join the Forum and play.

Also, just over 350 invitations have not yet been opened, so if we could see one player per 25 invitations, that would give us another 14.
jml24
jml24
  • Threads: 2
August 27th, 2013 at 9:36:07 AM permalink
I just responded via PM that I would join this year, sounds like fun without risking too much on loss.

I am still a bit confused about the forfeit rule. If the forfeiting player gets to lock in the percentage at the time of forfeit, isn't it still open to abuse by someone who quits after a few hot weeks so they don't have to risk bringing their percentage down over the rest of the season? You mentioned in one response that the rule exists to prevent this, but in another response you said a quitter would get frozen with the percentage at the time they win. I think a quitter should have to take 0 - 5 each week for the rest of the season to keep it fair.

Edit: thinking about this further I am guessing a forfeit means you are ineligible for win but still liable for losses. So, if you quit with a high percentage you can't win any money but are unlikely to have to pay much. That seems fair if I am understanding it correctly.
Mission146
Mission146
August 27th, 2013 at 10:39:55 AM permalink
Beardgoat
BeachBumBabs
Paradigm
RDW4POTUS
TheCessPit
SteelDCo
Keyzer Soze
Ten2Win
Miplet
Buzzard
Vendman1
MidwestAP
Boz
JohnZimbo
EdCollins
Wizard
AssWhooperMcDaddy
Chickenman
OdiousGambit
Malaru
MinnesotaJoe
SteelDCo (Skipping Week One)
TGarrettCPA
JML24
Mission146 (Making Picks, but excluded from winning)
Mission146
Mission146
August 27th, 2013 at 10:47:20 AM permalink
Quote: jml24

I just responded via PM that I would join this year, sounds like fun without risking too much on loss.

I am still a bit confused about the forfeit rule. If the forfeiting player gets to lock in the percentage at the time of forfeit, isn't it still open to abuse by someone who quits after a few hot weeks so they don't have to risk bringing their percentage down over the rest of the season? You mentioned in one response that the rule exists to prevent this, but in another response you said a quitter would get frozen with the percentage at the time they win. I think a quitter should have to take 0 - 5 each week for the rest of the season to keep it fair.

Edit: thinking about this further I am guessing a forfeit means you are ineligible for win but still liable for losses. So, if you quit with a high percentage you can't win any money but are unlikely to have to pay much. That seems fair if I am understanding it correctly.

I understand your point, but I'm more worried about abusing not picking to win, as opposed to abusing it to not lose. If someone quits making picks after a few hot weeks, then they will give up any chance of winning, (i.e., if they finish with the best record, they won't owe any money, but they are not the winner) but they are preserving what they anticipate to be a small loss. Expected value is such that if you think you have any chance of winning, then you should play, which is the purpose of me throwing in $25 that I am not defending. There comes a point where the expected value is such that a forfeit is better, specifically, if it is mathematically extremely unlikely for you to win, or impossible, and you doubt if you can improve your record, then you should resign and lock in the percentage.

I would specify, though, that if a player is below .500, then the player should always continue to play, as perfectly random picks bat .500 in long-term expectation.

The reason that a quitter doesn't eat 0-5 for every week that they don't play is that would not incentivize participation. People may resign because they no longer have time to keep up with the game, or otherwise lose interest, and in these situations, I simply don't believe they should lose more because they are unable to play or no longer feel like it. By entering into the game, however, I do believe they should pay their fair loss based on the frozen record as agreed to by way of entering in the first place.

To your addendum: Yes, that is correct.
Mission146
Mission146
August 27th, 2013 at 1:18:13 PM permalink
Beardgoat
BeachBumBabs
Paradigm
RDW4POTUS
TheCessPit
SteelDCo
Keyzer Soze
Ten2Win
Miplet
Buzzard
Vendman1
MidwestAP
Boz
JohnZimbo
EdCollins
Wizard
AssWhooperMcDaddy
Chickenman
OdiousGambit
Malaru
MinnesotaJoe
TGarrettCPA
JML24
Knuckleball3
Aluisio
SOOPOO
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 27th, 2013 at 1:20:12 PM permalink
Quote:

So, if you quit with a high percentage you can't win any money but are unlikely to have to pay much.

That's if you quit carefully and not accidentally [g]
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
August 27th, 2013 at 1:24:45 PM permalink
I'm confused.

1. For entire season then is there only ONE WINNER, and everyone else is a loser who owes the singular winner? Is there only one pay out at the end of the season from all of the participants to the winner?
2. If you make a confidence pick and you win, are you then 6 for 5 or 120%, and if you lose, are you -20%? Can you conceivable go as low as -17 / 85 and as high as 102/85, or does it count as out of 6 (you are 6 for 6 instead of 5 for 5).
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Mission146
Mission146
August 27th, 2013 at 1:37:07 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I'm confused.

1. For entire season then is there only ONE WINNER, and everyone else is a loser who owes the singular winner? Is there only one pay out at the end of the season from all of the participants to the winner?
2. If you make a confidence pick and you win, are you then 6 for 5 or 120%, and if you lose, are you -20%? Can you conceivable go as low as -17 / 85 and as high as 102/85, or does it count as out of 6 (you are 6 for 6 instead of 5 for 5).

1.) There could be multiple winners, you would either split the money or have a tiebreaker pursuant to the tiebreaker rule.

There are multiple payouts in that each participant will arrange a payment agreement with the winner. I don't handle any money, except for the $25, because this site cannot legally book anything. The $25 is not a book of anything, but rather a gift to the winner, in that the winner would get the $25, even if every losing player welched.

2.) The Confidence Pick is such that you effectively pick five games, but effectively are picking six games with one counting double. If you picked perfectly that week, you'd be 6-0, and if you did the opposite, you'd be 0-6.
boymimbo
boymimbo
August 27th, 2013 at 2:04:03 PM permalink
I'm not in then.

What might work better (for me) is for the bottom half to pay the top half. So for example, if there are 20 participants, and you place 6th with a result of .600 (51/85), the person who finished 15th (6th from the bottom) with a result of say .400 (34/85) would pay the person in 6th (.600 - .400) *100 = $20.

The person finishing last pays the person in first, 19th pays 2nd, 18th pays 3rd, and so on.

The more participants, the bigger the prize for the winner, and the more likely that the payout will be higher with more participants. That means a couple of winners and alot of losers... doesn't work for me.

Or maybe a top 5 such that with a prize pool of 50/30/20/10/10 based on the difference between 1st place and your place... ?
boymimbo
boymimbo
August 27th, 2013 at 2:25:40 PM permalink
Actually I looked at last year's picks and noted that the worst player only owed the Wizard about $25. It's not a big deal I guess.
Mission146
Mission146
August 27th, 2013 at 3:35:00 PM permalink

Actually I looked at last year's picks and noted that the worst player only owed the Wizard about $25. It's not a big deal I guess.

Right!

That's basically by design, I want it to be a pretty tidy little sum to win for the winner, and for anyone who loses, for it to be an inconsequential amount.

I should also mention that a percentage-based graduated payout strcuture was proposed and voted upon after last year's season, and the Rule Amendment failed.
Mission146
Mission146
August 27th, 2013 at 7:21:54 PM permalink
Beardgoat
BeachBumBabs
Paradigm
RDW4POTUS
TheCessPit
SteelDCo
Keyzer Soze
Ten2Win
Miplet
Buzzard
Vendman1
MidwestAP
Boz
JohnZimbo
EdCollins
Wizard
AssWhooperMcDaddy
Chickenman
OdiousGambit
Malaru
MinnesotaJoe
TGarrettCPA
JML24
Knuckleball3
Aluisio
SOOPOO
Kmumf
JW17
DuckManKilla
Malaru
Malaru
  • Threads: 79
August 27th, 2013 at 7:50:25 PM permalink
I think what would be better then the auto-forfeit would just be that anyone who stops making picks just gets 0-5 record for every week that they miss. That way if they quit and are ahead its still counted against them, but if they want to come back in 4-5 weeks and get back at it they can do that too- also I want to make sure..

To keep the person from forfeiting and not owing money both- or owing little.. if they do forfeit the remainder of the season- the remainder of the seasons games should count against their average.

There is no reason to let someone who went 5-0 week one, and 3-2 week two and whatever reason forfeit the remainder of the season get to keep a forfeit record of 8-2 - it should be a forfeit record of 8-77- is this how you will be doing it?
"Although men flatter themselves with their great actions, they are not so often the result of a great design as of chance." - Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Mission146
Mission146
August 27th, 2013 at 8:28:10 PM permalink
Quote: Malaru

I think what would be better then the auto-forfeit would just be that anyone who stops making picks just gets 0-5 record for every week that they miss. That way if they quit and are ahead its still counted against them, but if they want to come back in 4-5 weeks and get back at it they can do that too- also I want to make sure..

To keep the person from forfeiting and not owing money both- or owing little.. if they do forfeit the remainder of the season- the remainder of the seasons games should count against their average.

The reason that I am not a fan of this method is because I would also like as few people to welch as possible. I simply don't believe that anyone is willing to absorb 40 (or however many) automatic losses in the game, for games they did not pick, just because they lost interest and still play.

Furthermore, this really shouldn't happen with most people as a practical matter. Buzzard was the only player to forfeit with an exceptionally strong record last year, and he publicly stated that a litany of personal issues was the problem. There's really no reason anyone should want to forfeit if they have a decent chance of winning, the expected value of continuing to play rather than absorbing a guaranteed loss is in their favor.

Quote:

There is no reason to let someone who went 5-0 week one, and 3-2 week two and whatever reason forfeit the remainder of the season get to keep a forfeit record of 8-2 - it should be a forfeit record of 8-77- is this how you will be doing it?

No, the record would be 8-2, but the point is that person could not win the contest. It's very unlikely that anyone would beat that person, given the person's record is .800, but the person cannot win. The forfeit rules are construed so people can't have a few great weeks and start playing, "Wait and see," but not to penalize players who simply don't want to play anymore.
Mission146
Mission146
August 27th, 2013 at 9:11:41 PM permalink
Marketing Staff

1.) If anyone here frequents any sports forums, and it would not be a violation of their Rules to do so, feel free to post a link to the OP of this thread inviting them to create an account here and join the game.

2.) I have PM'ed the banned Members who are scheduled to come back after the start of the season, they were two in number, AHigh and TreeTopBuddy.

3.) I took the time to PM all players who played last year and have less than 25 posts, all one of them, RStrata.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
August 27th, 2013 at 10:21:44 PM permalink
I may join last minute. I'm interested in seeing if Wizard Walters can be dethroned.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
August 28th, 2013 at 6:35:22 AM permalink
I appreciate the invitation. But it's just not worth the hassle for me to sign up for something that I have very little chance of winning, and a very high chance of having to figure out how to send money to someone.

Like I said before, if the top 20% got paid out, I'd be in for sure, but until that changes, I am out. Good luck to everyone!
Mission146
Mission146
August 28th, 2013 at 7:44:28 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

I appreciate the invitation. But it's just not worth the hassle for me to sign up for something that I have very little chance of winning, and a very high chance of having to figure out how to send money to someone.

Like I said before, if the top 20% got paid out, I'd be in for sure, but until that changes, I am out. Good luck to everyone!

I'm sorry you won't be playing this year, and I'm sure the payout structure will be put to a vote again this year, and it seems that a graduated-payout structure with multiple winners will have more support.

My main concern with something like that is the distribution of monies, again, I can't legally act as a direct intermediary between you guys in that regard. I suppose if we did things on a percentage basis, I could assign certain losers to pay certain winners, that way one person doesn't have to pay multiple people. For example, if we had a 50/30/20 payout structure, I could just start with the person with the worst record (and go up) assigning them to the winner until 50% (or slightly over) is attained, then go to the 30% until that is complete, then the rest of the players would pay third place.

The percentages might not work out exactly, but if anyone really wanted to quibble over $1.00 or less, I'd cover the difference.
boymimbo
boymimbo
August 28th, 2013 at 7:59:52 AM permalink
I kind of agree with a different payout structure based on the number of players that you are inviting to play. In a 15 - 20 player pool, I like my chances.

But in a 50-100 player pool, there's a much higher probability that the player who wins will have a higher percentage than the wizard did last year (more players) since the normal distribution will be wider which means more money owed to the singular winner. In the case of 50 - 100, I like the idea of top 4 payoffs at 50/30/18/12 of the entire prize pool, the entire prize pool as what was in the pool MINUS the positions of the top 4, or maybe positions 5-10 pay nothing.

How many players are in so far this year? 30?
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
August 28th, 2013 at 8:02:15 AM permalink

But in a 50-100 player pool, there's a much higher probability that the player who wins will have a higher percentage than the wizard did last year (more players) since the normal distribution will be wider which means more money owed to the singular winner.

What was the Wizard's win percentage last year?
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 28th, 2013 at 8:06:12 AM permalink
I'll take a sidebet on the Wizard against the field...including myself. The ultimate hedge.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
August 28th, 2013 at 8:08:37 AM permalink
For what it's worth, I like the single winner (exception being a tie) payout structure. It's even more appealing when the closer a player is to the winner, they less they pay, and conversely, the further back they finish, the more they will pay. I don't understand the apprehension to play a positive EV game where an individual's loss is relatively small.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
August 28th, 2013 at 8:09:37 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I'll take a sidebet on the Wizard against the field...including myself. The ultimate hedge.

With all due respect to the Wizard, I'll take the field.
Mission146
Mission146
August 28th, 2013 at 8:15:06 AM permalink

I kind of agree with a different payout structure based on the number of players that you are inviting to play. In a 15 - 20 player pool, I like my chances.

But in a 50-100 player pool, there's a much higher probability that the player who wins will have a higher percentage than the wizard did last year (more players) since the normal distribution will be wider which means more money owed to the singular winner. In the case of 50 - 100, I like the idea of top 4 payoffs at 50/30/18/12 of the entire prize pool, the entire prize pool as what was in the pool MINUS the positions of the top 4, or maybe positions 5-10 pay nothing.

How many players are in so far this year? 30?

We have 30, at present, with about 200 invitations not yet opened, though I'd be surprised if we pick up more than 8-10 from those. I imagine we'll go into this thing with about 40 players, unless anyone is inclined to do a bit of marketing at Sports Betting Forums. I'm not established...or even a Member...of any Sports Betting Forums. I don't make too many sports bets, and 98% of the ones I do make are with friends, so that I basically have the best of it on 90% of those and am about even on the rest.

It's definitely getting put to a vote at the end of this season, but for this season, it's not going to change regardless of the amount of participants...because it was voted on by last year's participants, and failed.

Any winners would certainly be excluded from the overall payout (i.e. their winning percentages would not be compared to first place for anything) simply because that would be a redundancy.
Mission146
Mission146
August 28th, 2013 at 8:19:37 AM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

What was the Wizard's win percentage last year?

However, I should mention that The Wizard's strategy from last year (don't know what he has up his sleeve this year) played upon the disparity between a stronger line source and the weak line source that we were using to determine the Lines. Even with that, The Wizard said he was surprised to have batted that well. The Lines will come from a stronger source this year.

If anyone is interested in running a simulation, pretty much based on 50/50, or to be fair, 55/45 to see what the expected best percentage is amongst the final number of players over 100 selections, that'd be pretty cool. I think it would be interesting to get an idea of what kind of winning percentage would be expected to take this thing.
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
August 28th, 2013 at 10:14:25 AM permalink

But in a 50-100 player pool, there's a much higher probability that the player who wins will have a higher percentage than the wizard did last year (more players) since the normal distribution will be wider which means more money owed to the singular winner.

Wizard went .713 last year. That's really strong. It's unlikely anyone matches that record.

I like my chances if I finish around .660-.670
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
August 28th, 2013 at 10:32:12 AM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

With all due respect to the Wizard, I'll take the field.

So would I. My performance was mostly luck last year. My goal is to beat 53%. It takes 52.38% to break even with 10% juice.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Mission146
Mission146
August 29th, 2013 at 4:50:28 AM permalink
Beardgoat
BeachBumBabs
Paradigm
RDW4POTUS
TheCessPit
YouCanBetOnThat
Keyzer Soze
Ten2Win
Miplet
Buzzard
Vendman1
MidwestAP
Boz
JohnZimbo
EdCollins
Wizard
AssWhooperMcDaddy
Chickenman
OdiousGambit
Malaru
MinnesotaJoe
TGarrettCPA
JML24
Knuckleball3
Aluisio
SOOPOO
Kmumf
JW17
DuckManKilla
DeeDubbs
ZoomZoom8

We're up to 32, and we are seven days before the posting of the first set of Picks.

I also want to remind people that I will not be accepting Week 2 starters this year, unless you announce that you intend to play ahead of time, but are skipping Week 1 (As did SteelDCo). The reason for this is because I believe there was ample notice of the game this year compared to last.
Mission146
Mission146
August 29th, 2013 at 2:12:02 PM permalink
Greetings!

I have added the following Official Rule Addendums, please click link or read below:

As always, if there are any questions or suggestions for Addendums to clarify the Rules, or cover a hole in the Rules, please post them in this thread.

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/sports/14893-wov-picks-game-2013-official-thread/#post265469

RULE ADDENDUMS

1.) Doey-Don't Record Protection:

-There was a question raised last year about whether or not Doey-Don't Record Protection was an illegal play. In essence, you could bet one team AtS and bet their opponent AtS thereby ensuring a record on those two games no worse than .500, and in the best case, two no-decisions. The question had not been addressed prior to the season, so by Executive Decision, I declared this an illegal way to play the game. This year, I am officially making Doey-Don't Record Protection illegal, and the penalty for attempting such shall be both games being construed as losses.

2.) Mispicks:

-Last year, there was no rule for the official handling of mispicks, and those few that there were, I believe, were construed as, "No-Decision." This year, there will be an official handling of mispicks which is as follows:

Consider the following Line:

Patriots -6 @ Bills +6 Over/Under 52

There are two types of mispicks that can occur: spread and points total. For instance, if a player gave me:

Patriots +6

That is a mispick against the spread, and the Pick will be corrected based on the selected team. Thus, the Pick becomes Patriots -6.

The same concept holds with mispicked totals, the Pick is based on the team and the correct total.

As always, I will try to resolve Mispicks via PM ahead of time, but in the event I am unsuccessful at such, this is the way they will be handled.

3.) Multiple Confidence Picks

-There were two cases of a player making multiple Confidence Picks in a single week last year, and both were resolved ahead of time. In the event that they are not resolved ahead of time, neither pick will be construed as a Confidence Pick.
Mission146
Mission146
August 29th, 2013 at 2:38:56 PM permalink
Greetings!

I decided to use the following simulator:

http://www.beatingbonuses.com/simulator_java.htm

To determine what the probable best record will be for this game.

The most picks someone can make in a season is 102 (Making all available Confidence Picks) and the least is 80 (No Confidence Picks, plus using Skip Week). All things considered, I'm going to call it 90 Picks per player, on average.

I'm going to assume an overall record (for everyone) of .520, so I set the Simulator to return +1 52% of the time and -1 48% of the time.

I set the deposit amount for 90 (finishing with 90 would represent a record of .500) and the number of bets (Wagering) to 90 with a bet size of 1. I set this thing to 32 runs because that is how many players we have, the best winning percentage shall be the Max Return, less 90, and that's how many more wins than losses, which will be converted to a winning percentage. I will do this ten times and present the mean.

$112***56-34***.622***
$116***58-32***.644***
$120***60-30***.666***
$118***59-31***.656***
$114***57-33***.633***
$118***59-31***.656***
$110***55-35***.611***
$110***55-35***.611***
$118***59-31***.656***
$112***56-34***.622***

A.) On one occasion, more players had a losing record than a winning record.
B.) On only six occasions, did more players have a winning record than those that had a losing record or finished .500, combined.

C.) The mean best winning percentage is .638, so this is the ballpark you guys are shooting for, I would say.

If anyone has a better idea or the technical know-how to run a more accurate simulation, simulate away! If anyone believes that .520 is too high of a win rate, then I could simulate again based on a lower win rate.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
August 29th, 2013 at 5:14:47 PM permalink
May I make a humble suggestion for the someone who codes this here message-board software? To make things simple for the player, simply post the possibilities as radio buttons like we can do when creating a new thread and adding a poll question. Each match-up would have the home team on the right, the favorite team in bold, display the point spread and have two additional radio buttons for the over and the under. For example:

Favorite in Bold, Choose 5:
Astros() at Senators() 2 runs, Over() - Under() 9.5 Runs, Pick of the Week()
Pilots() at Highlanders() 3 runs, Over() - Under() 10.5 Runs, Pick of the Week()
Yankees() at Mets() 5 runs, Over() - Under() 11 Runs, Pick of the Week()
Devils() at Angels() 1 run, Over() - Under() 8.5 Runs, Pick of the Week()
Blues() at Greens() 2 runs, Over() - Under() 11 Runs, Pick of the Week()
Knights() at Kings() 2 runs, Over() - Under() 10.5 Runs, Pick of the Week()
[Clear All]

Add a Clear All button in case the bettor makes a boo-boo and needs to start over. The form would not accept an invalid number of selections and would force exactly one pick of the week. I think all the elements are in place, it just requires a little programming.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Mission146
Mission146
August 29th, 2013 at 6:38:35 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

The form would not accept an invalid number of selections and would force exactly one pick of the week. I think all the elements are in place, it just requires a little programming.

I definitely appreciate the suggestion, and I have no idea what much of what you said means, so I'm just going to briefly address the stuff that I actually understood.

I've always intended to deal with invalid numbers of selections on a, "First five," basis, but I don't think that has ever happened. Aside from that, you would not want it to force a, "Confidence Pick," because making a Confidence Pick is optional.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
August 29th, 2013 at 7:46:42 PM permalink

You just pick games against the spread or Over/Unders.

What are my options for choices? And these are football games? And do I have to put up money?
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
Mission146
Mission146
August 29th, 2013 at 7:52:25 PM permalink
1.) They vary from week-to-week, basically, any game that is being played on a Sunday or Monday that week and you must select five options. Each game will have two different types of bets you can make; you can bet on one team or the other to beat the spread, or you can bet that the combined score will either be Over/Under. If thirteen games were played on either a Sunday or a Monday, then you'd have 26 teams you could pick against the spread and thirteen Over/Unders for a total of 39 options that week.

2.) Yes, NFL.

3.) Yes, but the winner is not paid until it's over.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
August 29th, 2013 at 7:57:14 PM permalink

1.) They vary from week-to-week, basically, any game that is being played on a Sunday or Monday that week and you must select five options. Each game will have two different types of bets you can make; you can bet on one team or the other to beat the spread, or you can bet that the combined score will either be Over/Under. If thirteen games were played on either a Sunday or a Monday, then you'd have 26 teams you could pick against the spread and thirteen Over/Unders for a total of 39 options that week.

2.) Yes, NFL.

3.) Yes, but the winner is not paid until it's over.

Gotcha. I should read the Wiz's stuff on sports betting. It's all Greek to me!
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
Mission146
Mission146
August 29th, 2013 at 8:02:20 PM permalink
It's interesting because your chances of winning, just picking at random, would only be slightly worse than those of any other person. Definitely read that section of the site over and join up, if you're interested. You'll probably lose (every single person playing will probably lose), but it will be cheap if you do, and a good way to learn.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 30th, 2013 at 12:04:09 AM permalink

52 options : 13 underdogs, 13 favourites, 13 unders, 13 overs.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Mission146
Mission146
August 30th, 2013 at 7:11:57 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

52 options : 13 underdogs, 13 favourites, 13 unders, 13 overs.

Right!

I had actually typed that initially, whatever poor logic caused me to settle on 39 yesterday presently escapes me, because I can't figure out how I decided to construe the totals bets as one option.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
August 30th, 2013 at 7:15:44 AM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

Wizard went .713 last year. That's really strong. It's unlikely anyone matches that record.

I like my chances if I finish around .660-.670

Wizards record last year aside, I think 60% winners will take it. You could make a good living picking 6 out of 10 over the course of a season.
Mission146
Mission146
August 30th, 2013 at 2:42:48 PM permalink
Beardgoat
BeachBumBabs
Paradigm
RDW4POTUS
TheCessPit
YouCanBetOnThat
Keyzer Soze
Ten2Win
Miplet
Buzzard
Vendman1
MidwestAP
Boz
JohnZimbo
EdCollins
Wizard
AssWhooperMcDaddy
Chickenman
OdiousGambit
Malaru
MinnesotaJoe
TGarrettCPA
JML24
Knuckleball3
Aluisio
SOOPOO
Kmumf
JW17
DuckManKilla
DeeDubbs
ZoomZoom8
Jon
FRGamble
Mission146
Mission146
August 30th, 2013 at 2:46:01 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Wizards record last year aside, I think 60% winners will take it. You could make a good living picking 6 out of 10 over the course of a season.

You could, if only the Vegas Lines were set in stone on Thursday and didn't move thereafter.

I'm not saying that the winner will need it, but I'm saying the winner will have a record at or better than .610. $20, Even Money?
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
August 30th, 2013 at 4:17:05 PM permalink
Count me in! Thanks for all your hard work putting this together Mission and the hard work it will be to run it.
Mission146
Mission146
August 30th, 2013 at 5:31:27 PM permalink
Yes!

FrGamble is in! I smell a side bet between he and Wizard!
deedubbs
deedubbs
  • Threads: 21
August 30th, 2013 at 6:08:11 PM permalink
I think that more than one person will be over .6, but over .65 takes it, imo.
Mission146
Mission146
August 30th, 2013 at 6:14:12 PM permalink
Let me run that sim a few hundred more times and see if I have a Line for you. I doubt it, I wouldn't be at enough of an advantage taking the Under .650 at Even Money.
deedubbs
deedubbs
  • Threads: 21
August 30th, 2013 at 6:16:58 PM permalink
does the .65 include the confidence bonus? that would change a lot.
  • Jump to: