cwazy
cwazy
  • Threads: 14
May 30th, 2016 at 11:06:07 PM permalink
A few years ago The Wizard did an analysis of a video slot machine. He made the assumption that video reels were not weighted - they just had very long virtual reels and all stops were equally likely to hit. Is this still generally true on all video slot machines? If it is it would seem that these machines should be fairly easy to analyze with a relatively small number of spins.

On another front, I found a paper which was based on information contained in PAR sheets that the author obtained via a Canadian freedom of information act request. They handed them this info on 23 different slot machines. Are there other jurisdictions where this tactic for obtaining PAR sheets might work? Here's the paper:

http://stoppredatorygambling.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/PAR-Sheets-Probabilities-and-Slot-Machine-Play-Implications-for-Problem-and-Non-Problem-Gambling.pdf
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
May 30th, 2016 at 11:34:20 PM permalink
I saw that same article about nine months ago, it was very interesting. Very eye-opening to someone like myself not familiar with PAR sheets. But I'm just wondering, these were, I believe, from IGT. I would really like to know what makes games tick from Aristocrat and Konami. Seems like a different animal to me.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
cwazy
cwazy
  • Threads: 14
May 30th, 2016 at 11:41:50 PM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

I saw that same article about nine months ago, it was very interesting. Very eye-opening to someone like myself not familiar with PAR sheets. But I'm just wondering, these were, I believe, from IGT. I would really like to know what makes games tick from Aristocrat and Konami. Seems like a different animal to me.

It's a fascinating article, but what interested me most was the ease with which they were able to obtain the information. The Nevada Gaming Control Board actually has an online request form to comply with the state's "open records act". I wonder if by just asking, we could get the PAR sheets for any slot machine in the state.

http://gaming.nv.gov/index.aspx?recordid=157&page=246
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
May 30th, 2016 at 11:57:08 PM permalink
Quote: cwazy

It's a fascinating article, but what interested me most was the ease with which they were able to obtain the information. The Nevada Gaming Control Board actually has an online request form to comply with the state's "open records act". I wonder if by just asking, we could get the PAR sheets for any slot machine in the state.

http://gaming.nv.gov/index.aspx?recordid=157&page=246

I don't remember where I saw this and I did not bookmark it, but there was some bulletin board-type website where members were freely exchanging par sheets and "stuff". I downloaded one that was offered to someone else and it clearly says confidential. I dunno, slots are such a friggin mystery, it makes my head hurt. And I'm not just saying that. It really does give me a headache. I'll tell you, if I could beat slots, I'd give up video poker in a heartbeat. Well, maybe not, but you get my drift.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
cyberbabble
cyberbabble
  • Threads: 2
May 31st, 2016 at 12:14:45 AM permalink
Businesses are required to file informational reports with government agencies.
In general, "proprietary" info is protected from Freedom of Information requests.
The agency decides if "proprietary" applies in a given situation.
Rules vary by agency and jurisdiction.
  • Jump to: