RPToro
RPToro
  • Threads: 7
June 3rd, 2011 at 2:39:54 PM permalink
So I'm going to be in Vegas in August, and the dates just happen to coincide with this "Summerfest" Poker Tournament offer I received from CET. Anyone ever play in one of these? It's been sooo long since I've sat at a poker table in Vegas (80% craps now!), I'm rusty on etiquette. Is it true you can wear headphones and listen to music while playing? If so, is that bad etiquette? Also, are sunglasses still allowed?

Any input / personal experiences with this type of event (regarding my previous questions as well as in general) would be appreciated. Thanks!
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
June 3rd, 2011 at 4:20:54 PM permalink
I'm playing, and I played in Winterfest last year. Structure is ridiculously fast, low starting chips, and if you're one of the last two people at your satellite table left, then you qualify to play in the Main Event later that night. There are three flights of satellites that play down to 2 players, so the ME might have several hundred players. Again, fast structure, low starting chips, and Harrahs only pays the top ten of each ME....in slot play and table game vouchers! NOT cash! lol $3500 in slot play to the winner last year. Pretty silly, but it's a free hotel room for 3 days. I'm doing it, and I already live in Vegas.

You don't need to wear sunglasses at the table unless you're a 20-something cool-kid d-bag trying to emulate your poker hero on TV from 2005. If you're over 35, you'll be laughed at. If it's the final table on a televised WSOP event and the TV lights are in your face, then it's okay, and only then. Wear an iPod if you want to miss the action and annoy everyone around you since you'll probably have to be told over and over and over and over that it's your turn to act. But if you like, guy next to you can start smacking the back of your head to wake you up. Summerfest is NOT a serious poker tourney. It's a way for Harrahs to get you in their hotel for 3 days, and the structure ensures you WON'T be wasting much time in the tourney itself. Wear your iPod and sunglasses on the airplane ride.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
June 3rd, 2011 at 6:20:29 PM permalink
great post zippy!
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
  • Jump to: