ElectricDreams
ElectricDreams
  • Threads: 4
December 16th, 2010 at 8:00:34 AM permalink
According to an ESPN blog, Harry Reid's poker bill is dead in the water:

Quote:

It's been a whirlwind of excitement since the first rumors that Sen. Harry Reid would be passing online poker legislation during the lame-duck session of Congress, but that excitement halted immediately Wednesday night. According to multiple sources, the bill will not be voted on or attached to another bill during the last few days of this session.

That's a shame. Looks like poker players in the US will have to continue circumventing the system to play for now!
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
December 16th, 2010 at 9:44:54 AM permalink
Not all of them -- betting in online poker, or online gambling of any kind, is illegal at the state level in about a dozen different states, including Oregon and Washington (those are the two for which I've actually read the statutes). Any federal regulation, when it does happen -- and it will -- will not trump the states where it is strictly illegal. I'm hoping that passage of a federal law will prompt at least a few of the states to reconsider.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
  • Jump to: