Neutrino
Neutrino
  • Threads: 84
September 12th, 2015 at 12:45:07 PM permalink
I would like to ask if anyone here has any learning materials on Heads up (2 players to begin with) Limit (fixed bet sizes) Hold'em (not Omaha). Unfortunately google hate these 3 terms as they carry ambiguous meaning to the stupid SEO, which lead to me asking humans for it.

I'm looking for books, articles, guides, or even just advises. I'm especially interested in what preflop range to fold as the SB (button). You know how easy it is to find the preflop folding range for 9 player games? There are literally tens of thousands of sites telling you to play top 15% and exactly which ones to play in which position. Well, in comparison I can barley find anything at all on preflop play for heads up limit, and for the little I do find, they contradict each other greatly.

Currently I'm only folding 23o-27o but experience tells me that is way too lose, even though I seem to get a good "price" for limping the SB.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
September 12th, 2015 at 2:15:03 PM permalink
google

cepheus poker project
stephen.hall
stephen.hall
  • Threads: 1
September 12th, 2015 at 9:44:02 PM permalink
Kill Phil by Blair Rodman from Huntington Press.He lists starting hands from the beginning until heads up in a tournament.
cyberbabble
cyberbabble
  • Threads: 2
September 12th, 2015 at 10:27:02 PM permalink
You probably want whats called a push fold chart.
google "poker heads up push fold"

http://www.pushfoldcharts.com/headsup/

There are a lot of discussions and articles about push fold strategy on the internet.
Elrohir44
Elrohir44
  • Threads: 0
September 12th, 2015 at 10:29:08 PM permalink
Look up poker strategy websites like 2+2 or flopturnriver. This site, unfortunately, does not have a very large or active poker strategy discussion outside of people asking about the odds of something happening.
Elrohir44
Elrohir44
  • Threads: 0
September 12th, 2015 at 10:35:58 PM permalink
Also, limping practically everything you are not willing to raise with seems like a huge leak to me. Aggression wins in poker, especially in heads-up matches.

Just to be clear, are you saying that you will limp a hand like 37o in the sb? If so, you have much bigger problems than you think. While the price may be good against the "average" hand, you are disregarding all the money you will lose on later streets when you (usually) make the worst hand. Look up "implied odds."

Is this for cash games or sit-n-go's?
Neutrino
Neutrino
September 12th, 2015 at 11:01:47 PM permalink
Quote: cyberbabble

You probably want whats called a push fold chart.
google "poker heads up push fold"

http://www.pushfoldcharts.com/headsup/

There are a lot of discussions and articles about push fold strategy on the internet.

Sorry this is NLHE, I'm looking for limit hold'em.

Quote: stephen.hall

Kill Phil by Blair Rodman from Huntington Press.He lists starting hands from the beginning until heads up in a tournament.

This is also NLHE
Neutrino
Neutrino
September 12th, 2015 at 11:06:22 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

google

cepheus poker project

Thank you, great find! I was not aware of such thing existing.

Makes me wonder how much longer until NLHE gets 'solved" like that.
Neutrino
Neutrino
September 12th, 2015 at 11:10:59 PM permalink
Quote: Elrohir44

Also, limping practically everything you are not willing to raise with seems like a huge leak to me. Aggression wins in poker, especially in heads-up matches.

Just to be clear, are you saying that you will limp a hand like 37o in the sb? If so, you have much bigger problems than you think. While the price may be good against the "average" hand, you are disregarding all the money you will lose on later streets when you (usually) make the worst hand. Look up "implied odds."

Is this for cash games or sit-n-go's?

Yes, I'm saying I'm currently limping hands like 37o in SB because it seems like I'm getting a good price.

This is cash game limit poker that I'm talking about.

You very well might be right, I mean, the reason I posted this thread is my experience is telling me I seem to be losing too much money doing this, and that for some reason it's extremely hard to find guides on how to play limit holdem heads up.

My intuition tells me you're right about this being a leak, although, somewhere deep within me I still want to believe David Sklansky was right with his concept of "S-Buck"
MaxPen
MaxPen
September 13th, 2015 at 12:35:53 AM permalink
Quote: Neutrino

Thank you, great find! I was not aware of such thing existing.

Makes me wonder how much longer until NLHE gets 'solved" like that.

I don't think it's possible to solve NLHE. There were some claims that it was then some pros proved the developers wrong. Forget the name of that study. Will try to find the details on that and post.
Neutrino
Neutrino
September 13th, 2015 at 12:59:14 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

I don't think it's possible to solve NLHE. There were some claims that it was then some pros proved the developers wrong. Forget the name of that study. Will try to find the details on that and post.

I looked into the cephus project and I got some questions about its effectiveness.

Does it take advantage of the opponent's mistakes and leaks? Or does it simply play regardless of the tendencies of the opponent?

I believe profitable poker is all about exploiting other people's mistakes. This is why I hate playing against tight players. You can bitch and moan about them playing badly all day but in the end you just simply can't take money from someone who doesn't put money in.

So, playing an "optimal" strategy that only seeks to make itself non-exploitable rather than actively exploiting its opponents, is kinda like saying "The optimal strategy to no-limit holdem is to have 4 friends sit at the same table by themselves and everyone fold every hand, except limp all pocket pairs and suited connectors. This way the house gets no rake and you can just farm the shit out of the bad beat and high hand jackpots." Sure, that's optimal and +EV, and everything else you do in poker is literally -EV because of rake, but obviously something is wrong here otherwise everyone would be doing it. What's wrong is that it's actually a waste of time because playing poker is a much bigger +EV if you can exploit other people's mistakes.

I know I'm not the only one who think exploiting opponets' mistakes are important. Afterall, I would think almost everybody would find it silly if the Cephus bot plays a Nit the same way it plays a LAG.
MaxPen
MaxPen
September 13th, 2015 at 1:31:13 AM permalink
Cepheus solved heads up LHE. Nits don't win short handed let alone heads up long term. The principles of Cepheus work long term heads up because it is the optimal play for every possible situation possible without error. Opponents playing style has no relevance heads up.
Your original question was about heads up LHE. It has been solved definitively. Cepheus did not solve full table play.
Neutrino
Neutrino
September 13th, 2015 at 10:13:06 PM permalink
I looked into it further. I was quite surprised to find that, the bot would almost never (<1%) cap the bet aka 4bet, and also almost never limp-reraise the SB.

It doesn't even 4bet with AA!
I can't figure out why this is the right play. Because it really just doesn't make sense.

On the contrary, I'd like to ask how much a error is when a human 4bets. As in is 4betting an acceptable play or dead wrong.

Another thing I would like to know is, the bot probably has data on EV gain of SB and EV loss of BB. I can't seem to find it though.
MaxPen
MaxPen
September 13th, 2015 at 11:06:05 PM permalink
I think the overall idea is that it is about who makes the least mistakes. Capping preflop with extreme advantage gives the disadvantaged opportunity to fold therefore limiting the amount of units won on average the limited number of times you actually have that premium hand. On the flipside constant pressure from raising gives an opponent excuse to fold even when you are not favored or slightly disadvantaged.
frisbee25
frisbee25
  • Threads: 12
October 26th, 2015 at 4:06:15 PM permalink
Can someone explain why the hand range of Cephus is a fixed set of hands heads up and not a range, and is that true other than heads up?
  • Jump to: