Woldus
Woldus
  • Threads: 14
January 22nd, 2013 at 1:58:15 PM permalink
I've got an account at Bovada and Pokerist.com. I want to play a large field play money tourney on-line. Any suggestions?

Bovada has large field tourneys but no play money ones. Pokerist has single table and three table shoot out's but nothing with a lot of tables/people. I'd like to work on my game against a bigger field and can't seem to find anything. I'd appreciate any places to check.

Thanks. No Limit, of course.
TheNightfly
TheNightfly
  • Threads: 23
January 22nd, 2013 at 2:49:45 PM permalink
Without question your best bet is PokerStars. A huge assortment of games and limits, in tournaments, ring games and S&G's. You can play limited fields or into the many thousands.

One of the best returns I've found is to find a low limit rebuy and get in seconds before the registration closes. The blinds will be huge but about 9 minutes later you will have a chance to add-on and usually you'll receive 10 times the original chip stack.

For example, the buy-in is $1.10. Late registration is open for 90 minutes. In that time, about usually about 15-17 thousand players have entered. There will be about 65,000 rebuys by that time so the prize pool is $80,000. About 9 minutes after registration closes there is an add-on for $1. There will still be about 11,000 players and most will add-on. At this point you'll have less than 3,000 chips so you'll add-on for the $1 and sit at 32,000 or so which will be just about 50% of the chip average. The blinds at this point will be 1K, 2K so you'll have to get lucky in your first hand played to double up as most plays are all-in or muck. If you lose the hand it has only cost you $2.10 and taken about 15 minutes. If you win your hand (it's pretty much Bingo at that stage) you'll be right at the chip average and now you're holding on to make the cash.

The final lowest payout will be about $15 which means you'll net about $13 for just under an hour of play if you do cash. One you're in the money, the prizes climb slowly (it will pay about 1,800 positions) until you're in the top 250 or so where you'll make about $50. Top 100 players will receive $100 and up with the Final table paying over $600 for 9th and about $15,000 for first.

I play 2 of these a day (one always starts at 2:30pm EST with late registration closing at 4:00pm) and I'm WAY ahead, not even counting my final table cashes. You can easily make a couple hundred bucks a week for 5 or 6 hours play and making final table even once in a YEAR would be well worth it.

I make most of my money in the 6-handed hyper-turbo S&G's. They start at $1.50 but I play the $15 level, 4 tables at a time. I get in 16 games in an hour and play about 4-5 hours per day. My ROI was just over 13% for all of last year and although it's a grind it's an easy game to beat, even with the rake.

PStars offers multi-table tournaments all day with buy-ins from $1 up to $200 and there's always a game registering day or night. There is about the same selection for play money. The "Hubble Freeroll" is played 4 times per day I think and it costs you nothing with a prize pool of $500 (about $100 for first).
Happiness is underrated
Woldus
Woldus
  • Threads: 14
January 22nd, 2013 at 3:08:54 PM permalink
Thanks Nightfly...

Unfortunately, I can't play for money on Pokerstars where I am...that's part of the problem. I can do play money there - do you know if they have play money tourneys?
TheNightfly
TheNightfly
  • Threads: 23
January 22nd, 2013 at 3:22:42 PM permalink
All the time. I was in Arizona and couldn't log in to my real money PS account but I could access the play money site. Try PokerStars.net and you should be fine. Tens of thousands of players I'm sure.
Happiness is underrated
  • Jump to: