Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1374
May 16th, 2013 at 4:59:10 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

How about Tuesday 28th early in the morning after the holiday?

The drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays. The probability nobody hits this Saturday is 26.8%, based on the current jackpot. If nobody wins I think ticket sales will really skyrocket for the 5/22 drawing. If we assume a billion dollar jackpot on 5/22, I estimate a 17-way split, and the probability of no winner at 1 in 27 million. Actually, it may physically be impossible to sell as many tickets as my analysis suggests (3 billion tickets) given a billion dollar jackpot. This isn't even getting into the May 25 drawing. My point being that by May 28 this will all be over.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 16th, 2013 at 5:01:33 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

My point being that by May 28 this will all be over.

Good! Then the lines will be shorter. <she said with a straight face>
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
ddloml
ddloml
  • Threads: 1
May 16th, 2013 at 7:04:06 PM permalink
Quote: Zcore13

That would be insane. I wish there was a way to do it so that 550 winners could win 1 million rather than one winner winning 550 million. 1 million to 550 people would be life changing and probably a huge boost to the local economy. 550 million to one person is overkill and seems like a waste to me. I'd even prefer 1010 winners of $500,000

ZCore13

For Powerball, the second place prize (picking the 5 numbers correctly, but an incorrect power ball) is 1 million dollars (before taxes). There are several of these winners for every drawing.
cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
May 16th, 2013 at 7:07:56 PM permalink
I wonder if the addition of California to the Powerball last month (and Florida to the Mega Millions yesterday) will cause the jackpots to get larger quicker. It definitely will fuel the frenzy when we get to these levels, as this is the first time California has been involved in a Jackpot this size with Powerball.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
May 16th, 2013 at 7:14:42 PM permalink
Quote: cclub79

I wonder if the addition of California to the Powerball last month (and Florida to the Mega Millions yesterday) will cause the jackpots to get larger quicker. It definitely will fuel the frenzy when we get to these levels, as this is the first time California has been involved in a Jackpot this size with Powerball.

Yeah larger jackpots will occur more frequently now due to a larger volume of ticket sales. But the sizes of the jackpots will be similar though unless they change the payout matrix because more sales will speed up the jackpot hitting as well.
bushman
bushman
  • Threads: 9
May 16th, 2013 at 7:31:10 PM permalink
I am surprised it took this long for anyone to bring up the subject. I abstained from starting the thread because of the way the last thread went, of which I took part. Even better is that the great and powerful Wiz started the thread.

Me, I sure hope I win. Played last night for the first time since the last winner. Alas, as you can tell, I did not win. I will continue to throw good after bad until the jackpot is won.

Same goes for MegaMillions, but have played the last two drawings on it, since the last winner, and hope to win it tomorrow night. Hey, there's a question, what are my odds of winning both, in consecutive nights. No, don't attempt to answer that. I will let you all know after tomorrow/Saturday.
Never count your winnings at hour 23 of a 24-hour drive.
cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
May 16th, 2013 at 7:33:07 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Yeah larger jackpots will occur more frequently now due to a larger volume of ticket sales. But the sizes of the jackpots will be similar though unless they change the payout matrix because more sales will speed up the jackpot hitting as well.

True except when we are in a window like right now. Since there are three/four days between drawings, there are now more terminals selling tickets in that window. So when you get to a superhigh number and media attention, you'll get a larger jackpot.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
May 16th, 2013 at 10:12:11 PM permalink
Quote: Zcore13

That would be insane. I wish there was a way to do it so that 550 winners could win 1 million rather than one winner winning 550 million. 1 million to 550 people would be life changing and probably a huge boost to the local economy. 550 million to one person is overkill and seems like a waste to me. I'd even prefer 1010 winners of $500,000

ZCore13

From http://www.powerball.com/pb_contact.asp

I HAVE A GAME IDEA; YOU SHOULD GIVE 100 PEOPLE $1 MILLION EACH.
We do get mail from persons offering ideas that promise to double or triple our sales in the game. We also get a lot of mail that starts - "Everyone I talk to agrees that Powerball should pay more and smaller prizes, who needs $XXX million!!!" In this new game we are going to give away hundreds of $1 million prizes - but we cannot convert the jackpot to all $1 million prizes. These writers usually get extremely angry when we try to explain why their idea won't work - so we prefer to use this standard response. Please accept this response with our apologies for not recognizing how very right you are:

(3) If you believe that we should pay out $1 million prizes to lots of persons: After players told us that in focus groups, we actually started that game. No one played. Lotteries need to create a variety of games that appeal to different players. Powerball is a game that appeals to those players who want to play for large jackpots. There are other games that offer better odds (and so, lower jackpot amounts). Sales for a Powerball drawing can vary from $16 million to $200 million. You might guess which jackpot levels bring the most sales. Players vote with their dollars on the jackpot levels they prefer and we must listen to our customers. Powerball is actually two games in one a big jackpot game and a big Cash 5 game. Now, a player will win $1 million just by matching the five white ball numbers. We know folks don't really get excited about that, but it is just something we want to do. By adding the Power Play option, a player can even increase the Cash 5 part of the game to a $2 million cash prize.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
May 16th, 2013 at 10:18:36 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

(3) If you believe that we should pay out $1 million prizes to lots of persons: After players told us that in focus groups, we actually started that game. NO ONE PLAYED. Lotteries need to create a variety of games that appeal to different players. Powerball is a game that appeals to those players who want to play for large jackpots. There are other games that offer better odds (and so, lower jackpot amounts). Sales for a Powerball drawing can vary from $16 million to $200 million. You might guess which jackpot levels bring the most sales...

So I guess there really wasn't a frenzy after all to win a bunch of small prizes? As I said earlier, $500K isn't nearly as sexy as $500 million.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 154
May 17th, 2013 at 4:08:13 AM permalink
I read somewhere that the C-Store at Primm on the border is the busiest Lottery outlet in all of California from the Nevada people buying tickets there.

• Jump to: