Thread Rating:

darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
May 11th, 2022 at 6:20:46 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Quote: PokerGrinder

It’s funny I sold all btc back in January anticipating this fall. I’m currently buying more. If I liked btc at 50k and I loved it at 30k then I’ll fucking cream my pants for it at 20k. This doesn’t change my long term views of btc so I am thrilled with the price action. Also for me to be underwater on my investment btc would have to hit 10k which seems very unlikely lol.

By sold I just mean into stable coins not cashing out.
link to original post

And how do you evaluate those prices? Does BC have earnings? What's its price/earnings ratio?

BC is similar to gold only much worse. It's "value" is just based on hype and what the next sucker will pay
link to original post

Isn't that the same for gold?

What's gold real value?

If you were stuck on a desert island food and water would have more value than gold. How much value would gold have on a desert island?

Sounds like value based on hype to me!
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
May 11th, 2022 at 7:40:53 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

It’s funny I sold all btc back in January anticipating this fall. I’m currently buying more. If I liked btc at 50k and I loved it at 30k then I’ll fucking cream my pants for it at 20k. This doesn’t change my long term views of btc so I am thrilled with the price action. Also for me to be underwater on my investment btc would have to hit 10k which seems very unlikely lol.

link to original post

I thought stable coins were somehow tied to the dollar but that doesn't seem to be true.
link to original post

ISDT which is what I use for stables is pegged to the dollar. I also get paid interest on my USDT holdings by lending them on exchange.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
May 11th, 2022 at 7:44:10 PM permalink

link to original post

And how do you evaluate those prices? Does BC have earnings? What's its price/earnings ratio?

BC is similar to gold only much worse. It's "value" is just based on hype and what the next sucker will pay
link to original post

I stopped trying to convince anti-crypto people a while ago. Might as well be beating a dead horse. I’m not saying it’s bad to be anti-crypto btw, I don’t judge but I don’t agree is all. There are two extremes, those for it and against it and both are illogical imo. Too many people say it’s death or it’s Manna from heaven. There is an in between and I try to live in that in between the best I can.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
May 12th, 2022 at 3:50:22 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

link to original post

link to original post

Isn't that the same for gold?

What's gold real value?

If you were stuck on a desert island food and water would have more value than gold. How much value would gold have on a desert island?

Sounds like value based on hype to me!
link to original post

I know that for a while, gold was one of the preferred materials in electronics. Some of the physical properties made it a very good material to make tiny precision electrical connections.

I think my old junior high shop class teacher told us that a vault full of steel was far more practical if you actually wanted to make something. We had great lectures in shop class.
May the cards fall in your favor.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
May 12th, 2022 at 5:15:09 AM permalink
The so-called stable dollar cryptocurrency is now worth about 60 cents.

I just posted this on LinkedIn and Facebook and it is appropriate here:

I am not a Bitcoin or cryptocurrency investor, but I am sorry that Bitcoin has now plunged wiping out all of its gains of 2022 and 2021 and so many cryptocurrency investors are now underwater. I'm sorry that they've lost so much money because that money represented "speculation assets" which is money which could have been used for other speculative plays.

Not every business has a rock solid business plan. Some are risky. Some are very risky. But even some of the riskiest business ventures might be worthwhile. And without "speculative assets" those riskiest business ventures might never see the light of day.

We need speculative assets and this crash of cryptocurrencies will deplete the supply of speculative assets. That's not a good thing for our dreamers.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
May 12th, 2022 at 6:08:38 AM permalink
Gold is an excellent conductor. Silver is good for welding/brazing. Ironically, most of the stuff stolen from my AC van cant easily be resold. Yet, they left the 50% silver rods. That can be easily resold. They drove off on rims with a flat tire. Painted the trailer gray. It was recovered when someone called the police for a suspicious trailer.
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 12th, 2022 at 7:03:44 AM permalink
Under 26K briefly before a small rally. Where are the true believers? How often can you buy a $100,000 asset for 75% off?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 12th, 2022 at 7:59:10 AM permalink

Under 26K briefly before a small rally. Where are the true believers? How often can you buy a $100,000 asset for 75% off?
link to original post

Cathy Wood said this week that she believes it will go to $1 million by 2030.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
darkoz
darkoz
May 12th, 2022 at 12:07:49 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

And if it gets to one million in 2030 and then dips to $850,000 I believe Bill will post what a lousy investment it was because it lost $150,000 in value in a year.
billryan
billryan
May 12th, 2022 at 12:22:09 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

And if it gets to one million in 2030 and then dips to $850,000 I believe Bill will post what a lousy investment it was because it lost $150,000 in value in a year.
link to original post

You have pushed two investments here. I said they were both utter garbage. CYDY is down, about 90% since you started promoting it, and I think bitcoin has gone from $60,000 to under 30,000.. I'll let others decide who they might listen to, but it seems pretty obvious one of us is clueless about investing.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
darkoz
darkoz
May 12th, 2022 at 1:00:21 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

You have pushed two investments here. I said they were both utter garbage. CYDY is down, about 90% since you started promoting it, and I think bitcoin has gone from $60,000 to under 30,000.. I'll let others decide who they might listen to, but it seems pretty obvious one of us is clueless about investing.
link to original post

I noticed you didn't deny what I said.

Gotcha!

(I noticed Netflix is down fifty percent since last month. Glad I didn't invest in that garbage)
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
May 12th, 2022 at 3:32:46 PM permalink

link to original post

I bought 40k last night. If you liked btc at 60k then you should love the 50% sale right now, I know I do.
billryan
billryan
May 12th, 2022 at 3:35:49 PM permalink

link to original post

I bought 40k last night. If you liked btc at 60k then you should love the 50% sale right now, I know I do.
link to original post

Best of luck with it.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 12th, 2022 at 4:35:28 PM permalink
Crypto will probably be the official currency in Space one day. Lots of solar and cold as hell.

But I’m not sure anyone here will live long enough to see it.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
May 12th, 2022 at 4:43:45 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

But I’m not sure anyone here will live long enough to see it.

I am never planning on living past the end of the month.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
RogerKint
May 13th, 2022 at 7:10:49 AM permalink
I hadn't realized this, but the entire crypto industry has lost over half its value since last November. A trillion dollars in value vanished. Perhaps if you soak your bitcoin in lemonlabob overnight, it will emerge nicely polished.
rxwine
rxwine
May 13th, 2022 at 7:42:15 AM permalink
Would buying Bitcoin perhaps for your kids or grandkids be a worthwhile risk? Hold it. Will it to them.. Maybe it will be worth a lot in 20 30 years. Maybe not.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
May 13th, 2022 at 8:54:34 AM permalink

I hadn't realized this, but the entire crypto industry has lost over half its value since last November. A trillion dollars in value vanished. Perhaps if you soak your bitcoin in lemonlabob overnight, it will emerge nicely polished.
link to original post

that has happened to the stock market too - more than once - and stocks are also doing really poorly now

the DJIA hit a low of 6469.65 on March 6, 2009 having lost more that 54% of its value since the October 9, 2007 high of 14,164.53

Bitcoin is much more speculative than stocks, so its swings will be much more extreme

it went up much more than the market until its crash - if it doesn't disappear completely its swings will surely continue to be very extreme

Bitcoin and other crypto have sent a message to the three piece suits world of finance that their world can be rocked too just as technology has rocked so many industries

whether or not that rocking will actually last can right now only be a guess

Please don't feed the trolls
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
May 13th, 2022 at 12:39:34 PM permalink
Crypto. Buyer beware. It decentralized money. In effect, it’s hidden, secret money. No government intervention. Usage can be tied to criminal gangs, scam artists and ransomware attacks.

I’ve said it before. It’s a solution looking for a problem.

Not surprised by the collapse.
billryan
billryan
May 13th, 2022 at 6:35:20 PM permalink

Would buying Bitcoin perhaps for your kids or grandkids be a worthwhile risk? Hold it. Will it to them.. Maybe it will be worth a lot in 20 30 years. Maybe not.
link to original post

I'd go with beanie babies, myself.
Gundy
Gundy
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
RogerKintteliot
May 14th, 2022 at 6:13:55 AM permalink

link to original post

In 20-30 years, nobody will remember bitcoin.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
May 22nd, 2022 at 4:07:39 AM permalink
How This Man Just Caused a $45 BILLION Crash [Terra Luna] - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KZY41SqaTI

Yeah, just delay withdrawals by 7 days or 30 days will save the cryptocurrency. Seems some banks are in the same boat.

Just Lost Everything | The Freaky Truth Of $1 Terra Luna - Graham Stephan - 3.81M subscribers - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HJ2gmwSp7M

Undeniable Proof that LUNA + UST = Ponzi? - March 17, 2022 - Coinsider - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_otSD3LYCA
Last edited by: ChumpChange on May 22, 2022
billryan
billryan
May 22nd, 2022 at 5:27:51 AM permalink
But that can't happen to bitcoin. No, Siree. Not gonna happen.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
  • Threads: 5
May 22nd, 2022 at 8:30:08 AM permalink

<...> A trillion dollars in valuehot air vanished.
link to original post

FIFY. Like any bubble, most 'value' is illusionary hype.
Had a coworker who was really very good at coding. Had patents and stuff. Also managed to lose over 5k in crypto when his exchange vanished.
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
May 24th, 2022 at 2:30:36 PM permalink
Quote: BillHasRetired

<...> A trillion dollars in valuehot air vanished.
link to original post

FIFY. Like any bubble, most 'value' is illusionary hype.
Had a coworker who was really very good at coding. Had patents and stuff. Also managed to lose over 5k in crypto when his exchange vanished.
link to original post

I had a guy who fell victim to a fallacy, and before you knew it, he was falling victim to them all. When you get on that hasty generalization, it leads to the slippery slope, and then it's over, it's like super mega jackpot bonus time on the pinball, you just get jammed up with all that fallacy.
aahigh.com
rxwine
rxwine
June 13th, 2022 at 2:56:56 PM permalink
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
June 13th, 2022 at 3:04:30 PM permalink
It’s a going out of business sale jkjk
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 21st, 2022 at 8:25:50 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Down 55% since Nov 9. Is it just me or does anyone else see the emperor has no clothes?
link to original post

Now down 70% since Nov 9. Just sayin'.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
June 21st, 2022 at 9:29:29 PM permalink
If inflation continues at current rates, the purchasing power of wealth held in dollars will be cut in half over the next eight years. But cryptocurrencies can beat that: They can lose half their value in just a few months.
It’s all about making that GTA
Tanko
Tanko
June 22nd, 2022 at 1:30:46 AM permalink
"As the Speeding Crypto Train Crashes, Scientific and Engineering Experts Tell Congress that Both Crypto and Blockchain Were a Sham from the Beginning"

"Now crypto concerns are hiring themselves the likes of Big Law firm Akin Gump to explain why investors can’t get access to $11 billion in frozen accounts at Celsius Network."

Could Coinbase be next?

"Coinbase lays off 18% of its workforce. The CEO cites an upcoming crypto winter"

“Crypto currencies are not even currencies. They’re a joke…The price of Bitcoin has fallen in a week by how much – 30 percent. It goes up 20 percent one day, collapses the next. It is not a means of payment, nobody, not even this blockchain conference, accepts Bitcoin for paying for conference fees cause you can do only five transactions per second with Bitcoin. With the Visa system you can do 25,000 transactions per second…Crypto’s nonsense. It’s a failure. Nobody’s using it for any transactions. It’s trading one sh*tcoin for another sh*tcoin. That’s the entire trading or currency in the space where’s there’s price manipulation, spoofing, wash trading, pump and dumping, frontrunning. It’s just a big criminal scam and nothing else.” - NYU Professor and economist Nouriel Roubini
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
odiousgambit
June 22nd, 2022 at 1:47:57 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

It’s just a big criminal scam and nothing else.” - NYU Professor and economist Nouriel Roubini
link to original post

Nouriel Roubini, the ultimate crypto skeptic.... Launching a new tokenized asset.
https://news.bitcoin.com/dr-doom-nouriel-roubini-to-launch-tokenized-dollar-replacement-with-payment-and-esg-features/

If you can't beat em, join 'em.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Tanko
Tanko
June 22nd, 2022 at 2:11:33 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Nouriel Roubini, the ultimate crypto skeptic.... Launching a new tokenized asset.

I am aware of that.

Unlike Bitcoin, which is not backed by any asset and has no intrinsic value, Roubini says the new dollar would be backed by real/financial assets.

"The new dollar would be backed by “a mix of short-term U.S. Treasuries, gold, and U.S. property (in the form of real estate investment trusts, or REITs),”

Warren Buffett gives his most expansive explanation for why he doesn’t believe in bitcoin
darkoz
darkoz
June 22nd, 2022 at 4:31:38 AM permalink

I am aware of that.

Unlike Bitcoin, which is not backed by any asset and has no intrinsic value, Roubini says the new dollar would be backed by real/financial assets.

"The new dollar would be backed by “a mix of short-term U.S. Treasuries, gold, and U.S. property (in the form of real estate investment trusts, or REITs),”

Warren Buffett gives his most expansive explanation for why he doesn’t believe in bitcoin
link to original post

Unfortunately the Warren buffet explanation just shows that even the smartest person in the room can be clueless.

He actually compares it to farming which is funny because Bitcoin has to be "mined" with what could be called Bitcoin farms.

His mistake is to believe that tangible goods must be goods you can physically hold in your hands. Bitcoin transaction generates mathematical problems that must be solved. Pay the Wizard to solve a math problem. Can you hold it in your hand?

At any rate if you had offered buffet 1% ownership of Bitcoin or a choice of 1% ownership of Blockbuster video in 2009, it's obvious which one he would have chosen from his comments.

We know how that choice would look like today.
rxwine
rxwine
June 22nd, 2022 at 12:42:36 PM permalink

I am aware of that.

link to original post

Unfortunately the Warren buffet explanation just shows that even the smartest person in the room can be clueless.

He actually compares it to farming which is funny because Bitcoin has to be "mined" with what could be called Bitcoin farms.

His mistake is to believe that tangible goods must be goods you can physically hold in your hands. Bitcoin transaction generates mathematical problems that must be solved. Pay the Wizard to solve a math problem. Can you hold it in your hand?

At any rate if you had offered buffet 1% ownership of Bitcoin or a choice of 1% ownership of Blockbuster video in 2009, it's obvious which one he would have chosen from his comments.

We know how that choice would look like today.
link to original post

I don't think he's saying you can't make a failed stock pick; he's pointing out there are much more solid trustworthy investments. I don't think he see's any reliable way to analyze it. And he can't do anything with it except sell it back to someone at some point. You can often improve property. Or mine, drill, etc.,
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
June 22nd, 2022 at 6:15:06 PM permalink

Down 55% since Nov 9. Is it just me or does anyone else see the emperor has no clothes?
link to original post

Now down 70% since Nov 9. Just sayin'.
link to original post

Oof only up 30,000% in 11 years… terrible return.
Gundy
Gundy
Thanked by
rawtuff
June 23rd, 2022 at 5:04:25 AM permalink
how many people got the 30,000% return?

probably somewhere around 0.000000000000001%?
Ace2
Ace2
June 23rd, 2022 at 12:09:46 PM permalink
Quote: Gundy

probably somewhere around 0.000000000000001%?
link to original post

Exactly. The initial investors of any "successful" startup usually make a s-ton of money. Caveat: some of these "successful" entities don't exist 15 years later.
It’s all about making that GTA
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 23rd, 2022 at 2:38:29 PM permalink

link to original post

Amen to that. The many years BTC traded under $1 and nobody heard about it should, for all practical purposes, not count.
darkoz
darkoz
June 25th, 2022 at 6:57:04 AM permalink

link to original post

Amen to that. The many years BTC traded under $1 and nobody heard about it should, for all practical purposes, not count.
link to original post

Hi, Wizard.

I hate to agree/disagree with you but if we both agree on your statement above....

Bitcoin started around 2009 and broke $1 in 2011.

And by 2015, the furthest back that Google software tracks, it was at $436!

So not counting those "many" (two) years, I don't understand how over a decade of growth can still be suggested the average person didn't hear about or profit from it.

My son and daughter both claim they profited many years ago from Bitcoin (if anything they rue they sold too early!).

I feel your statement should perhaps be amended to no one over the age of forty who doesn't believe in this made any money while the younger generation went ahead and profited for over a decade.

Just my observation!

AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
June 25th, 2022 at 8:40:38 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I'm surprised you of all people want to just toss out historical facts and data and start new. That's exactly what systems players do whenever their system ends up failing. They will justify starting new by claiming they learned from their mistakes or tweaked their system.

BTC is still about double from what it as 2 years ago. Would you have been better off now had you held all the BTC you have received?

I have no clue if BTC or Crypto is a good investment at any given time or not. I do know BTC /Crypto is a great tool.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
rawtuffRogerKint
June 25th, 2022 at 9:48:00 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I have no clue if BTC or Crypto is a good investment at any given time or not.

Over all time, BTC will be a neutral investment. For every dollar Peter makes, a Paul somewhere will lose a dollar, although not at the same time.

Sure, people who got in early did well. However, it is at the expense of people who got on the train late.

Ultimately, it is a Ponzi scheme, a house of cards, that I believe is collapsing.

Quote:

I do know BTC /Crypto is a great tool.
link to original post

Good, but not great. I can remember when I paid about $9 to do a trade and it took almost 24 hours to process. Granted, that has improved. It is also a huge energy hog.

BTC may have been a good start, but I think a new generation of cryptocurrency will come along that will cost under a penny per transaction, take under a second, and be based on something real. When that happens, BTC will be a relic that we will laugh at the way we laugh at the Beanie Baby craze of the 90's.
rxwine
rxwine
June 25th, 2022 at 10:56:54 AM permalink
“if you had just bought it then” it’s the eternal lament.

“Hindsight is 20/20”
-Barbara Walters
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 30th, 2022 at 11:47:51 AM permalink
Bitcoin down another $1,000 today.

Question for the BTC faithful -- At what price will your faith start to crack?
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
June 30th, 2022 at 1:12:29 PM permalink
I think it depends at what price you bought in for and what your tax consequences for selling at a certain price are, and whether the price you're asking for is still available during a market free fall.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
June 30th, 2022 at 2:27:34 PM permalink
I bought more just now at 19,012.89

Fire sale 🔥 🔥🔥
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
Thanked by
PokerGrinder
June 30th, 2022 at 2:36:30 PM permalink
Maybe buy Japanese Yen as it craters.
Gundy
Gundy
Thanked by
RogerKint
June 30th, 2022 at 2:58:34 PM permalink
I can't believe people buy this crap. It's going to zero.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
PokerGrinder
June 30th, 2022 at 3:47:40 PM permalink

I can't believe people buy this crap. It's going to zero.
link to original post

So is the U.S. Dollar. No fiat currency has ever not eventually failed.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
June 30th, 2022 at 11:57:09 PM permalink

Over all time, BTC will be a neutral investment. For every dollar Peter makes, a Paul somewhere will lose a dollar, although not at the same time.

link to original post

You are describing a zero sum game but cryptocurrency is not a zero sum game.

With crypto everyone can lose everything.
Ace2
Ace2
Thanked by
rawtuffRogerKint
July 1st, 2022 at 3:44:46 AM permalink

I bought more just now at 19,012.89

Fire sale 🔥 🔥🔥
link to original post

Or you paid double what it will cost next month

“Buying the dip” mentality is one of the hallmarks of a bubble