April 19th, 2013 at 9:03:09 PM permalink
Don't worry folks I flagged EB's posts.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
April 19th, 2013 at 10:24:39 PM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

Needless to say, I am no longer going to leave my work badge or my tungsten balls in my car.

Ah yes, never let a stranger grab your tungsten balls.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
April 20th, 2013 at 3:14:20 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

I worry when I see a post like this from a new member.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
April 20th, 2013 at 5:01:42 AM permalink
He grows on you like fine wine.....
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 20th, 2013 at 12:13:29 PM permalink

What is that supposed to mean? Are you the PC police?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rainman
rainman
April 20th, 2013 at 12:20:19 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Nope, he is the EB police.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 20th, 2013 at 12:20:29 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

I worry when I see a post like this from a new member.

Hey, he said NOT to worry.
"What, me worry?"
tupp
tupp
  • Threads: 3
April 20th, 2013 at 12:33:50 PM permalink

Too bad this isn't a video chat room. If it appeared that djatc was a member of some minority group, you could be posting/yelling bigoted slurs.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 20th, 2013 at 12:41:01 PM permalink
Quote: tupp

Too bad this isn't a video chat room. If it appeared that djatc was a member of some minority group, you could be posting/yelling bigoted slurs.

Maybe, you never know. Barbaric, ain't it. Its fascinating
that words that were once just fine, are now hate speech.
Like Negro. There is still the United Negro College Fund.
Yet call a guy a Negro and you're a hater, you should
be jailed and whipped. Its nonsense and goofiness and
PC out of control foolishness. Some of us don't play that
game.
Mikey75
Mikey75
  • Threads: 49
April 20th, 2013 at 12:44:23 PM permalink

Maybe, you never know. Barbaric, ain't it. Its fascinating
that words that were once just fine, are now hate speech.
Like Negro. There is still the United Negro College Fund.
Yet call a guy a Negro and you're a hater, you should
be jailed and whipped. Its nonsense and goofiness and
PC out of control foolishness. Some of us don't play that
game.

I don't CARE what game you play. There are something's that are just wrong!! I don't care what year it is racial slurs aren't something that we should have to tolerate. I for one take offense to it.
tupp
tupp
April 20th, 2013 at 12:53:21 PM permalink

Maybe, you never know. Barbaric, ain't it. Its fascinating that words that were once just fine, are now hate speech. Like Negro. There is still the United Negro College Fund. Yet call a guy a Negro and you're a hater, you should be jailed and whipped. Its nonsense and goofiness and PC out of control foolishness. Some of us don't play that game.

One shouldn't be jailed nor assaulted/attacked for shouting bigoted slurs.

However, why are you referencing someone's race or ethnicity in the first place? What does one's race/ethnicity have to do with anything? What is behind the loud and angry calling of attention to another's race/ethnicity?

People, I think we are seeing true colors here.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 20th, 2013 at 12:55:33 PM permalink
Quote: Mikey75

I don't CARE what game you play. There are something's that are just wrong!! .

So write to the United Negro College Fund, or the
National Association for the Advancement of Colored
People (NAACP) and get them to change their names.
Be proactive, stand up for political correctness..
Mikey75
Mikey75
April 20th, 2013 at 1:02:31 PM permalink
Good post Tupp!! What your doing EB is throwing racial slurs and you know it. I don't have a problem with what any of the things you mentioned are called. I have a problem with the racial slurs you are throwing out. Just because there was a time it was excepted doesn't make it right. I'm through with this but for the record I think it's wrong. If Wiz decides to let it go that's up to him. I think he has done a fine job running this board and the proof of that is the amount of members here. I hope this place continues to thrive because I have enjoyed my time here. Something's I just find it hard to keep my mouth shut about.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
April 20th, 2013 at 1:22:16 PM permalink
Can someone explain to me how jap is racist? Is calling someone from Britain a "Brit" racist? Is calling an Australian "Aussie" racist. What about "yank" or Yankee for an American? If I see a Mexican on the street it's now politically incorrect for me to say the Mexican on the street and not the guy on the street? Wtf
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 20th, 2013 at 1:32:41 PM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

Can someone explain to me how jap is racist? Is calling someone from Britain a "Brit" racist? Is calling an Australian "Aussie" racist. What about "yank" or Yankee for an American?

Exactly. Jap is more racist than Brit or Aussie? How about
'Limey'? Its slang for a Brit, they used to eat limes in the
Navy to ward off scurvy. There was a 1999 movie called
The Limey. It used to appear in American newspaper
headlines. Is that racial slur now too? Who decided Jap
was bad and Brit is still OK? Germans were krauts, and its
still a word I hear. Its because they eat so much sauerkraut.
Does saying kraut make you a hater now? PC rubbish.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 20th, 2013 at 1:34:09 PM permalink

If Wiz decides to let it go.

That I called some guy a Jap years ago? You
think I should be punished for that? Are you
serious?
Face
Administrator
Face
April 20th, 2013 at 1:41:53 PM permalink

Can someone explain to me how jap is racist? Is calling someone from Britain a "Brit" racist? Is calling an Australian "Aussie" racist. What about "yank" or Yankee for an American? If I see a Mexican on the street it's now politically incorrect for me to say the Mexican on the street and not the guy on the street? Wtf

I often use "jap". Of course, I'm talking about inanimate objects (Jap Bike / Jap Toys refering to Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Honda motorsports).

Can't turn on Sportcenter without hearing "Redskin", "Brave", "Tomahawk chop"... can you imagine the Nantucket Niggers and their Fried Chicken night? There'd be riots, yet everyone can dress up in shirts with "slurs' on them, don a headdress, and chop to their hearts content and that's ok. Is it because there are only a few of us red folk left?

Just look at how many here are shocked that I didn't say "en werd".

For the record, I find outrage over the name "Redskin" a complete waste of time and I have no issue with it. It's the bottom of the 7th so chop away, it's time to RALLY! In return, I reserve the right to quote Chapelle Show as I see fit. Hate speech ain't exactly cool, but the PC climate is out of control.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
tupp
tupp
April 20th, 2013 at 1:43:35 PM permalink

None of the distinctions that you mention are "racist" as they involve ethnicity/nationality -- not race.

However, unnecessarily bringing attention to another's ethnicity/nationality is usually a bigoted action, especially when it is done with hate/anger. In such situations, the slang terms used to call someone by their race/ethnicity are bigoted slurs.

Certain terms are derogatory by their nature. For instance, the first term you mentioned referring to a Japanese person is almost always derogatory.

By the way, how would one know that a person on a street is Mexican? And even if someone is Mexican, what does it matter? (Of course, why would one need to call that person "Mexican?") Jumping to such conclusions (prejudice) is another form of bigotry.

Best to just avoid referring to another's race/ethnicity and to just avoid making generalizations about race/ethinic groups.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 20th, 2013 at 1:49:46 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I often use "jap". Of course, I'm talking about inanimate objects (Jap Bike / Jap Toys refering to Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Honda motorsports).

I hear that constantly because I have a Harley. Jap
rice burners, Jap scoots, why isn't that racist. Nobody
bats an eye, I can go anywhere and say 'Jap bike' and
nobody will even notice.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
April 20th, 2013 at 2:00:26 PM permalink

None of the distinctions that you mention are "racist" as they involve ethnicity/nationality -- not race.

However, unnecessarily bringing attention to another's ethnicity/nationality is usually a bigoted action, especially when it is done with hate/anger. In such situations, the slang terms used to call someone by their race/ethnicity are bigoted slurs.

Certain terms are derogatory by their nature. For instance, the first term you mentioned referring to a Japanese person is almost always derogatory.

By the way, how would one know that a person on a street is Mexican? And even if someone is Mexican, what does it matter? (Of course, why would one need to call that person "Mexican?") Jumping to such conclusions (prejudice) is another form of bigotry.

Best to just avoid referring to another's race/ethnicity and to just avoid making generalizations about race/ethinic groups.

Let get serious, calling a Mexican a Mexican is not racist or bigoted. It's a description. Much as you might say the fat guy or tall guy or black hat or green shirt guy. I'd hate to live in your world where mentioning someone's nationality is racist or bigoted
tupp
tupp
April 20th, 2013 at 2:02:58 PM permalink

Exactly. Jap is more racist than Brit or Aussie?

Hatefully calling another individual by ethnically-oriented slang names could be considered bigoted and derogatory. That's just a guess.

How about 'Limey'? Its slang for a Brit, they used to eat limes in the Navy to ward off scurvy.

What a marvelous generalization.

Germans were krauts, and its still a word I hear. Its because they eat so much sauerkraut.

Nice!

Does saying kraut make you a hater now? PC rubbish.

Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into the subject. No doubt you have imagined yourself in the place of someone from a minority group who has to suffer hateful, slang name-calling.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 20th, 2013 at 2:04:45 PM permalink

So what should my friend call the Mexican's he hires
in his drywall business? Brown people? When he says
'Mexican's are the best workers by far' in construction,
should he just say 'humans' instead? See how ridiculous
this is?
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
April 20th, 2013 at 2:05:14 PM permalink

I am Japanese, and I don't prefer to be called a racist term.
tupp
tupp
April 20th, 2013 at 2:05:17 PM permalink

I'd hate to live in your world where mentioning someone's nationality is racist or bigoted

It's not always bigoted, but why would you mention someone's ethnicity/race in the first place?
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 20th, 2013 at 2:06:33 PM permalink

Good post Tupp!! What your doing EB is throwing racial slurs and you know it. I don't have a problem with what any of the things you mentioned are called. I have a problem with the racial slurs you are throwing out. Just because there was a time it was excepted doesn't make it right. I'm through with this but for the record I think it's wrong. If Wiz decides to let it go that's up to him. I think he has done a fine job running this board and the proof of that is the amount of members here. I hope this place continues to thrive because I have enjoyed my time here. Something's I just find it hard to keep my mouth shut about.

"Just because there was a time it was excepted"

Excepted by whom? I appreciate your stance for pc, but it doesn't seem like your ancestor's were on the receiving end of hate much. Just so you know
they were every bit as offended.
Face
Administrator
Face
April 20th, 2013 at 2:08:44 PM permalink

I am Japanese, and I don't prefer to be called a racist term.

Honest question - do you feel my example is hurtful? If you heard me call a Suzuki GSXR600 a "Jap bike", would that cause you anger?

Does it matter that I love "jap toys" and would always and forever choose one over American / Korean / English?
tupp
tupp
April 20th, 2013 at 2:13:36 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Honest question - do you feel my example is hurtful? If you heard me call a Suzuki GSXR600 a "Jap bike", would that cause you anger? Does it matter that I love "jap toys" and would always and forever choose one over American / Korean / English?

How do you think a Japanese person who doesn't know you would feel if you loudly called him/her by that name?
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
April 20th, 2013 at 2:16:17 PM permalink
I always thought that "Jap" was a derogatory term. That's what I learned growing up. That's what I believe today. I wouldn't use it. Yet, I have a client who is from Japan, has a car maintenance company that specializes in Japanese makes, and uses "japauto" as part of his email address. I feel awkward everytime I send him an email because of it. It goes against my grain to use the word "Jap."
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
April 20th, 2013 at 2:18:02 PM permalink
Why would I mention race? Its descriptive. Just because i refer to someone's nationality doesn't mean I am racist or bigoted. What if there are a group of people across the street. They are all wearing white shirts, around the same size and weight. Except one of them is Mexican. The easiest way to point him out is to say the Mexican guy. I'm not suggesting I point to ethnicity first every time I am describing someone. Could be tall skinny guy, could be guy with the neon green Oregon shirt. But to suggest that there is a hint of racism, bigotry, prejudice, hatred, etc is a giant leap I don't agree with
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
April 20th, 2013 at 2:22:12 PM permalink
Quote:

What a marvelous generalization.

What? We did add lime juice to the grog to ward off scurvy. Not really a generalization.

There is a difference between Brit and Jap... if someone, or a group says 'please don't call me by that name, I find it offensive', it's right to respect that request. As far as I know, most Japanese people don't like being called 'Japs'. I could be wrong. I don't speak for them.

I have never heard anyone say 'don't call me a Brit'. I've seen a punch up started by the word 'Limey', but the fight was well in the post before then anyways.

Some words are not by themselves offensive. It's the way they are used. Call me a 'f***ing thieving Limey ba****d', and I'll take offence. Call me 'that Limey in Canada' and I'd probably take zero offence.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
April 20th, 2013 at 2:24:58 PM permalink
Call me clueless but I had no idea that Japanese people wer offended by Jap. I don't think I have ever used the term anyway but I guess I learned something new today
tupp
tupp
April 20th, 2013 at 2:28:51 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

What? We did add lime juice to the grog to ward off scurvy. Not really a generalization.

Yes. I doubt that all British citizens are lime-juice-swilling sailors. Certainly not like the Germans who eat so much sauerkraut.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
April 20th, 2013 at 2:32:52 PM permalink

Yes. I doubt that all British citizens are lime-juice-swilling sailors. Certainly not like the Germans who eat so much sauerkraut.

Ahh, you see, that's where you are wrong, we are! It's in the laws and culture to drink grog once a week and go for a sail once a year.

More seriously, it's been in the parlance as a slang term for a Brit for almost a century. This never excuses it or otherwise, but language mutates and changes over time. As one data point, this Brit doesn't get offended by being called 'Limey'. Or 'Pommie'. Not -on it's own- and in the right context.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
tupp
tupp
April 20th, 2013 at 2:35:46 PM permalink

Why would I mention race? Its descriptive. Just because i refer to someone's nationality doesn't mean I am racist or bigoted. What if there are a group of people across the street. They are all wearing white shirts, around the same size and weight. Except one of them is Mexican. The easiest way to point him out is to say the Mexican guy. I'm not suggesting I point to ethnicity first every time I am describing someone.

Certainly, if one must be so descriptive, it is okay to include racial/ethnic details in the description. On the other hand, name-calling and use of inherently derogatory terms can be offensive.

However, how do you know that the one guy is Mexican? Can you read his Mexican passport from across the street?
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
April 20th, 2013 at 2:53:48 PM permalink

Certainly, if one must be so descriptive, it is okay to include racial/ethnic details in the description. On the other hand, name-calling and use of inherently derogatory terms can be offensive.

However, how do you know that the one guy is Mexican? Can you read his Mexican passport from across the street?

So let's pretend that the guy was puerto rican and not mexican. I'm now racist, bigoted, prejudiced, etc? I don't think so. So I meet a black guy in New York and refer to him as an African American. Turns out he is from Toronto. So he is an African Canadian. Am I bigoted now?
Face
Administrator
Face
April 20th, 2013 at 2:56:46 PM permalink

How do you think a Japanese person who doesn't know you would feel if you loudly called him/her by that name?

Umm… I don’t? I’d call him Jishen or Qu whatever his name happens to be. If I didn’t know him, I’d call him sir.

I don’t engage in confrontational speech. I often carry a gun; I avoid any and all confrontation like the plague (except for hockey and drunken nights in Vegas =p). I just hate hyper-PCism. I know a bunch from the UK; they call me “yank” and I call them “rosbifs” and it’ll all good. I’m sure I’ve mocked thecesspit’s allegiance to the queen at least a few times, and we’re cool.

But some words “you just can’t say” and I think that’s stupid.
Face
Administrator
Face
April 20th, 2013 at 2:57:35 PM permalink

So let's pretend that the guy was puerto rican and not mexican. I'm now racist, bigoted, prejudiced, etc? I don't think so. So I meet a black guy in New York and refer to him as an African American. Turns out he is from Toronto. So he is an African Canadian. Am I bigoted now?

He from Toronto and he's Hatian! You done messed up now!

See? It's stupid.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
April 20th, 2013 at 2:58:51 PM permalink

Call me clueless but I had no idea that Japanese people wer offended by Jap. I don't think I have ever used the term anyway but I guess I learned something new today

Fighting BS one post at a time!
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 20th, 2013 at 3:04:25 PM permalink

Yes. I doubt that all British citizens are lime-juice-swilling

Actually, they took limes aboard in barrels and they chewed
pieces of them, thats where the Limey came from. It was
smart and it worked great until the limes rotted or ran out.
Most Germans did and still do eat sauerkraut, ever been
there? Does Germany have a restaurant that doesn't have
a sauerkraut dish on the menu? Italians used to be called
Dago's, which is really the Spanish word 'Diego', meaning a
person from Spain. Dago is an American slur done on purpose
to piss of Italians, who don't like to be called Spaniards. However,
'Still refers to Spanish or Hispanic people in current British English.'

Sinatra and Dean Martin called each other dago for decades, or
'dag' (prounced 'daig') for short. They should have been horse
whipped.
tupp
tupp
April 20th, 2013 at 3:09:24 PM permalink

So let's pretend that the guy was puerto rican and not mexican. I'm now racist, bigoted, prejudiced, etc? I don't think so.

I wouldn't think you were a bigot if you said in haste, "That Mexican across the street just dropped his wallet! I'll yell at him to retrieve it." However, if you then shouted, "Hey, Mexican! You dropped your wallet!," you might momentarily annoy the Latin American guy who grew up in Detroit, and who is happy to have his wallet back.

Latin American (or, perhaps, Latino) is probably a better term.

So I meet a black guy in New York and refer to him as an African American. Turns out he is from Toronto. So he is an African Canadian. Am I bigoted now?

A black guy from Toronto could be considered African American. Toronto is part of North America. Or, if you must refer to his race, you could just call him black. A white guy who emigrated to the US from Johannesburg could also be an African American.
Jimbo
Jimbo
  • Threads: 5
April 20th, 2013 at 3:10:59 PM permalink
I amazed how some threads on this Forum morph or transform from the subject that commences the thread to where they end (and this thread has not even ended yet).

Not criticizing or complaining. Just observing.
1BB
1BB
April 20th, 2013 at 3:13:02 PM permalink

What passport?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 20th, 2013 at 3:13:56 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

It goes against my grain to use the word "Jap."

I have a old friend who's Jewish and he uses
the word 'Jew' all the time. I mean constantly.
If you tell him its not PC he'll argue with you
till the sun goes down. He especially likes to use
when referring to people in his own family, in
a very derogatory way. But he'll also say 'Is he
a Jew' or 'Was so and so a Jew'. I don't see the
harm.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
April 20th, 2013 at 3:17:30 PM permalink
Jew is not derogatory. Kike is.
Face
Administrator
Face
April 20th, 2013 at 3:19:44 PM permalink

I have a old friend who's Jewish and he uses
the word 'Jew' all the time. I mean constantly.
If you tell him its not PC he'll argue with you
till the sun goes down. He especially likes to use
when referring to people in his own family, in
a very derogatory way. But he'll also say 'Is he
a Jew' or 'Was so and so a Jew'. I don't see the
harm.

My lesbian girlfriend always, always uses “gay” to denote a negative. It’s part of my generation’s culture. Get stuck at work, killed on Minecraft, have to stop fishing, the Leafs lose, it’s always “Bah, that’s gay”. Some people would freak out about it. Who cares?

I don’t necessarily like the term “Indian”. I’m not from southern Asia, my people are from here. Call me Indian in the 90’s, and I would’ve been irked. Call me ‘skin or savage and you would’ve gotten punched in the face. One day I realized it didn’t matter. I got over my bad self. I haven’t had an issue as the result of “racism” since, all thanks to me.
EdgeLooker
EdgeLooker
  • Threads: 21
April 20th, 2013 at 3:24:04 PM permalink
Here in Korea, there was a video going around where an African American teacher started beating up an old man on a bus because he thought he was calling him the "N" word, not knowing that Neega in hangul just means the word you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Nyw1aCbgm8g#at=23
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
April 20th, 2013 at 3:24:14 PM permalink

Jew is not derogatory. Kike is.

Depends on the context. A friend, a fellow Hebrew, had a contractor come to give him an estimate. When the contractor mentioned another customer 'tried to Jew me down on the price' my friend did feel it was used in a derogatory way, of course, and asked the prospective contractor to leave.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
April 20th, 2013 at 3:36:14 PM permalink
Yes, "Jew me down" is a derogatory phrase. But I am a Jew and I am proud to be a Jew.
Face
Administrator
Face
April 20th, 2013 at 3:44:52 PM permalink

Yes, "Jew me down" is a derogatory phrase. But I am a Jew and I am proud to be a Jew.

I used phrases like "Jew'd out of..." before I even knew that Jew refered to a people. Same with "getting Gypt". /sigh. Ignorance is bliss.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
April 20th, 2013 at 3:48:45 PM permalink
Its all in context, and who is saying it.

Anyway I think its best to focus back on the real issue at hand: conflict at the long john silverton
  • Jump to: