beenz04
beenz04
  • Threads: 2
April 6th, 2011 at 6:25:52 PM permalink
I intend on using the ace five counting strategy explained on the wizards other site and going to either a 16 or 8 times maximum bet. I do have basic memorized. Wizard mentioned only doubling after a win, so even if the count is 0 or positive I should wait for a win to double? After a loss on a non-max bet do I cut my bet in half or maintain the same bet? If I lose the max bet should I then leave the table? If not, should I continue to keep betting the max if the count is still up? I saw someone asking for advice about losing streaks and one person suggested that if four bets are lost in a row to leave, would this apply with this strategy. I know there are a lot of questions here, but obviously I need the advice and need the answers before I bet real money.
Thank You!
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
April 6th, 2011 at 6:31:54 PM permalink
You should bet high when the count is high, and leave when the count is low. The Wizard's bet sizing suggestion is to mask your counting ( so you don't obviously appear to be a counter, just a gambler) .

You can vary your bets however you like, just so long as they are generally high when the count is good, and low when the count is bad. Otherwise, try and act like a gambler, and you'll do fine.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
beenz04
beenz04
April 6th, 2011 at 6:37:30 PM permalink
What do you think specifically about losing your max bet?
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
April 6th, 2011 at 6:44:16 PM permalink
Have never understood the rationale of leaving the table if you lose a big bet ? If the count is as high or higher why would you leave?
If the answer is your bankroll can't stand that one hand hit, you do not have a bankroll at all !!!
Of course if John Patrick says the dealer is HOT then by all means leave, LOL
beenz04
beenz04
April 6th, 2011 at 6:46:31 PM permalink
Yes but would I keep my bet at the max for the next hand? Thank you.
dwheatley
dwheatley
April 6th, 2011 at 6:48:35 PM permalink
Quote: beenz04

What do you think specifically about losing your max bet?

This depends on your bankroll, both what you have with you and your lifetime bankroll you have set aside for counting. The Kelly Criterion says you should adjust your max bet as your bankroll shrinks, so if your max bet is your max kelly bet and you lose it, you may want to at least lower your bet.

I've lost my max bet while counting, and kept betting max since the count was really high. BUT, you should never bet more than 1/2 what you have on you, else you give up the entire counting edge and more due to not being able to double/split.

I wouldn't leave a good shoe just because i lost my max bet.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
April 6th, 2011 at 6:53:38 PM permalink
Your max bet should not be more than 3 or 4% of your total bankroll. Losing it should not be a special event by any account. Just keep playing.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
beenz04
beenz04
April 6th, 2011 at 6:57:08 PM permalink
Thank you very much.
beenz04
beenz04
April 6th, 2011 at 7:10:19 PM permalink
Is it likely that conservative play would be successful with a $1000 bankroll as opposed to a $10,000 bankroll?
dwheatley
dwheatley
April 6th, 2011 at 8:04:54 PM permalink
No. Unless you are happy with $20 max bets and a couple $ an hour profit. If you bet any higher, at some point you'll be down half your bankroll and have to call it quits.

If you overbet your bankroll, you lose, even with the advantage. If you don't bet enough, it's not worth your time.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 6th, 2011 at 8:46:56 PM permalink
https://wizardofodds.com/blackjack/wizardcount.html

The Wizard only recommends this for very liberal playing rules and small minimums (which really exists in only a handful of places downtown). He also says it is a good idea for earning comps.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
April 6th, 2011 at 10:03:31 PM permalink
The A-5 count is for casual gamblers, not for advantage play.

Don't sweat it. Spread within your limits, don't bet what you aren't comfortable with. You aren't going to make money with A-5 (the small edge it can provide in perfect circumstances won't be there in a real setting), it's just good enough that you can, overall, even out the odds.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
  • Threads: 17
April 7th, 2011 at 3:49:23 AM permalink
Quote: beenz04

Is it likely that conservative play would be successful with a $1000 bankroll as opposed to a $10,000 bankroll?

It's not likely at all even if your definition of success is breaking even. If the house advantage is higher than .3% your chances diminish even more. Please tell us the rules of the game that you're going to play so we can get a better perspective.

If this is not successful for you, I hope you don't throw in the towel without looking into other counting options that could yield positive results. Good luck and happy counting!
DonPedro
DonPedro
  • Threads: 92
April 7th, 2011 at 9:50:01 PM permalink
Can A-5 work for H17 .59 % HE ?

I read in a earlier post that it would never give you an edge vs H17
" If I had the money and the drinking capacity, I'd probably live at a blackjak table and let my life go to hell." Don Pedro
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
April 7th, 2011 at 10:52:58 PM permalink
A-5 is sufficient to overcome the H17 rule. However, it is not going to give a sufficient edge under just about any set of rules to be viable for earning money. It's really just the ace side-count that most any counting strategy has, taken without the actual primary count.

It still works as in giving you a better game, but that's it.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
DonPedro
DonPedro
  • Threads: 92
April 13th, 2011 at 6:50:17 PM permalink
Thanks P90
" If I had the money and the drinking capacity, I'd probably live at a blackjak table and let my life go to hell." Don Pedro
  • Jump to: