Monte
Monte
  • Threads: 2
January 13th, 2011 at 3:06:31 PM permalink
Long time lurker, first time poster. This really confused me last weekend at Monte Carlo:

It was a rough 3 days of gambling so I sat with my friend at a bad video poker machine to play quarters and get free drinks. Got bored of the Jacks or Better and switched over to 25 cent video blackjack. The rules were:

-Split only once
-Double on 10 or 11
-No surrender
-Dealer hits soft 17
-No double after split.
BUT!
-Blackjack paid 2-1.

I know you'll think I'm hallucinating that last one, but I swear it's true. Can't seem to find any site that indicates video blackjack ever pays anything other than 1-1. Was this just a fluke or has anyone seen it elsewhere?
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 13th, 2011 at 3:08:09 PM permalink
Blackjack pays 2 for 1, not 2 to 1. Did you actually play and end up with 3 units after a blackjack?
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
January 13th, 2011 at 4:15:00 PM permalink
Quote: Monte

-Blackjack paid 2-1.

I know you'll think I'm hallucinating that last one, but I swear it's true. Can't seem to find any site that indicates video blackjack ever pays anything other than 1-1. Was this just a fluke or has anyone seen it elsewhere?

This is a very dishonest and misleading way of saying that blackjacks pay even money:

You naturally assume that "-" means "to", but in this context, they mean it as "for". So a blackjack pays 2 for 1, which means you give them a quarter, you get a blackjack, they give you back two quarters (your original bet plus the even-money payoff), just as when you win with a normal hand.

I guarantee you will never find a video blackjack machine that pays 2 TO 1 on blackjacks.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
  • Jump to: