Thread Rating:

Triplell
Triplell
  • Threads: 9
March 14th, 2012 at 8:02:36 PM permalink
Quote: awakefield1983

Can't believe people are giving legitimacy to these theories...

There are a lot of foolish gamblers on this forum...
Triplell
Triplell
  • Threads: 9
March 14th, 2012 at 8:03:37 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

In general I agree, but on this specific point I have to mention that certain state lotteries in the past have been known to go +EV with their jackpots, where the price of buying every number combination possible was less than the top jackpot prize. This was a couple years ago and hopefully they have some mathemeticians on board now...but there were people hiring other people to go to gas stations and buy huge blocks of tickets...

But like I said in general I agree with you and it's a fool's errand, above is just an edge case.

Assuming that no one else did the same thing and you had to split the prize...
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
March 14th, 2012 at 8:05:24 PM permalink
If someone had a system to beat the lottery why would he have won only seven times?
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
March 14th, 2012 at 8:24:30 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

... certain state lotteries in the past have been known to go +EV with their jackpots, where the price of buying every number combination possible was less than the top jackpot prize. ...but there were people hiring other people to go to gas stations and buy huge blocks of tickets...

I think that's more of an urban legend and the plot of a couple of TV comedy episodes. Unless the lottery corporation were helping you, I think it would be nigh to impossible for any manageable-size group of collaborators to pencil in lottery forms and make all the purchases to have every possible number combination covered. Then, even if you did, some half dozen other ticket holders might share the jackpot with you so that you still lose a bundle of money.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 179
March 14th, 2012 at 8:37:12 PM permalink
The problem with the lottery is that it isn't any fun. Honest to god, even when the damn thing goes to $300M and Mrs insists I get $5 worth of tickets, we almost never check them. And when we do, sometimes we match a number or two.

The fun is in the "what would we do if we won" musings. But we can do that without buying tickets.
NO KILL I
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
March 14th, 2012 at 8:45:14 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

If someone had a system to beat the lottery why would he have won only seven times?

Because in his new tax bracket, he has me buying tickets and cashing them for him.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
March 14th, 2012 at 8:45:32 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

The problem with the lottery is that it isn't any fun. Honest to god, even when the damn thing goes to $300M and Mrs insists I get $5 worth of tickets, we almost never check them. And when we do, sometimes we match a number or two.

The fun is in the "what would we do if we won" musings. But we can do that without buying tickets.

Tell that to the winner.
People do win the damned thing.
But I agree for most it is a waste of time and money
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 14th, 2012 at 8:45:40 PM permalink

The state lotteries are truly a tax on the poor.

A tax is coercive. The lottery isn't. The poor could easily escape the lottery by choosing not to play it.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 14th, 2012 at 9:00:44 PM permalink

Can't believe people are giving legitimacy to these theories...

1) Having random number's picked or picking your own doesn't really keep you from picking duplicate numbers, your pattern could just as easily be matched as the quick pick.

I agree with every point you made but this one. I can guarantee that 1-2-3-4-5 is covered proactively by at least one person in just about every 5byX lottery in the country. The quick pick can also produce a 1-2-3-4-5 ticket. Same with 1-2-3-5-9, same with 1-2-3-5-7, 5-7-10-11-17 (11/10/1775). My manual picks won't cover those guaranteed-to-be-taken combination of numbers. Except in cases where every single possible combination is taken, my manual pick is slightly less likely to be matched than a quick pick because my pick is guaranteed to miss those common numbers.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
March 14th, 2012 at 9:15:25 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

I think that's more of an urban legend and the plot of a couple of TV comedy episodes. Unless the lottery corporation were helping you, I think it would be nigh to impossible for any manageable-size group of collaborators to pencil in lottery forms and make all the purchases to have every possible number combination covered. Then, even if you did, some half dozen other ticket holders might share the jackpot with you so that you still lose a bundle of money.

Here is one documented case of it happening. This isn't the one of which I was thinking when I posted; I'm pretty sure there's at least one documented case of it happening in the US in an east-coast state somewhere. If I find the article I'll post it.

True, the labor and capital involved in buying all of the tickets would probably offset most of the winnings. As is the case for most advantage plays :).
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer

• Jump to: