FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14481
March 10th, 2018 at 1:12:18 AM permalink
https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2018-03-08/las-vegas-sands-to-sell-pennsylvania-casino-for-13-billion

1.3 Billion price tag might be an inducement but I still think its a very low priced for the 2008 abandoned industrial site that now has a casino, a hotel and a shopping center and is making money.
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
March 10th, 2018 at 1:21:29 AM permalink
So does that mean they can turn it into sovereign land as well? Or is this just them owning a business on US soil?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11986
March 10th, 2018 at 4:00:25 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

So does that mean they can turn it into sovereign land as well? Or is this just them owning a business on US soil?



I highly doubt they can make it tribal land anymore than Canada could buy a curling rink and make it Canadian land.

IIRC PA is one of the few states where the Indians were compensated for all their land. I have even seen one of the treaties/deeds.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
darkoz
darkoz 
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 7249
March 10th, 2018 at 4:04:26 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

So does that mean they can turn it into sovereign land as well? Or is this just them owning a business on US soil?



The latter

Pennsylvanias mohegan sun in the Poconos is an Indian owned casino on US soil and subject to US law (it was formerly pocono downs i believe and purchased a few years ago by mohegan sun)

Im certain same would apply here
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
March 10th, 2018 at 4:18:43 AM permalink
I figured that was the case but I thought I remembered reading in certain States they had purchased land and tried to make it foreign soil. I think it either happened or they tried to make it happen in San Diego.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14481
March 10th, 2018 at 6:44:27 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I figured that was the case but I thought I remembered reading in certain States they had purchased land and tried to make it foreign soil. I think it either happened or they tried to make it happen in San Diego.

Yes, California and a few other states have had issues involving tribes too far from good roads but who nevertheless want to own a casino; it usually involves exchanging lands or having the Interior Dept declare new lands in the tribal registry. A lot of battles are tribe versus tribe these days.

In Pennsylvania its simply ownership, no sovereignty issues at all. State of Pennsylvania laws all the way, indeed probably no advertising or mention of tribal involvement with the casino. Just a money making venture a good deal more profitable than selling beads or moccasins or collecting rent on homes.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 4022
March 10th, 2018 at 7:55:59 AM permalink
So do Indian casinos suck everywhere or is it just here in Oklahoma?
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14229
Thanks for this post from:
Boz
March 10th, 2018 at 8:01:14 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

So do Indian casinos suck everywhere or is it just here in Oklahoma?



IMO, everywhere, with a few exceptions. Hard Rock Hollywood (Ft Lauderdale FL) is one.

HR Tampa, though run by the same tribe, is not, in fact is the biggest NA suckage anywhere. Again IMO. I don't doubt there are worse, just haven't played many NA in the West.

I also liked Morango, near Palm Springs CA, and Thunder Valley, near Sacramento, a lot, but only got to got to either a couple times.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
Joined: Dec 25, 2016
  • Threads: 25
  • Posts: 393
March 10th, 2018 at 8:39:34 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

So do Indian casinos suck everywhere or is it just here in Oklahoma?


I've only been to two: Turning Stone and Mohegan Sun. Turning Stone is one of our favorite places to stay. Great food options and one of the best layouts of any casino I've been in. A very class act IMHO. Mohegan is not bad. We've been twice and both times had a good time. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Overall I rank it higher than a lot of non-Indian places (e.g., all the AC Boardwalk places). So maybe it is just the Indian places west of the Mississippi and south of the Mason Dixon Line that suck.
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
Joined: May 20, 2011
  • Threads: 105
  • Posts: 1636
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
March 10th, 2018 at 8:57:20 AM permalink
Quote: TumblingBones

I've only been to two: Turning Stone and Mohegan Sun. Turning Stone is one of our favorite places to stay. Great food options and one of the best layouts of any casino I've been in. A very class act IMHO. Mohegan is not bad. We've been twice and both times had a good time. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Overall I rank it higher than a lot of non-Indian places (e.g., all the AC Boardwalk places). So maybe it is just the Indian places west of the Mississippi and south of the Mason Dixon Line that suck.



Its always a good idea to sell when things are great! Lets hope the buyer doesnt get stuck holding the bag.... then again... who really cares. There is supposedly a new casino coming to Philly near the stadiums (Parx is part owner and Maryland Live, I believe). This casino will blow it out of the water if they make it more upscale than the frikin sugarhood and harrahs chester. Right off of I95 and next to the sports stadiums in a gambling city with NJ and NY customers! OMG.. this may become the top grossing casino in the country. I cant wait. If they get sports betting too.... forgetaboutit!
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'

  • Jump to: