BenJammin
BenJammin
  • Threads: 48
March 30th, 2012 at 10:17:00 AM permalink
post question:
I was messing around on Wizard of Odds playing DDB for about a half an hour or so the other day. I checked the statistics and it looked like I was on pace to play around 800 hands in a hour. Would that be considered a slow or fast pace? Anyone know how many VP hands per hour they average?

800 hands per hour = $1000 per hour, less any small wins along the way, depending on the frequency of the payouts of that particular machine. As we have discussed before, not all VP machines are alike, even though they may be the same game, of the same denomination, and the same pay schedule, the random number generator may spit out more frequent small jackpots while keeping you in the game longer, or, it may give you the holy grail of Video Poker, The Royal Flush!

It would be interesting to see statistically on average what the expense would be after tallying up all the small jackpots and deducting from the total investment IE hands per hour on average for a Quarter and a Dollar Slot Machine.

This Sounds Like A Job For The Wizard!
jml24
  • Threads: 2
March 30th, 2012 at 11:25:01 AM permalink
You don't need the Wizard for that. Just look at the return tables on his site and multiply the return for your pay table by the amount wagered. For example if playing 8-6 DDB your $1000 would have an expected return of $1000 x 0.978949 or $978.94 so your expected cost for playing under your assumptions would be $21.06/hr. Playing 10-6 DDB (the default on the Wizard of Odds practice game) with a return of 1.000670 you could expect to profit $0.67. Of course there is a very high variance which I hope is what you are alluding to when you say "not all VP machines are alike."
BenJammin
BenJammin
  • Threads: 48
April 4th, 2012 at 1:46:53 AM permalink
Could you say that in Engrish Preeze...?

So, for all us non mathematicians you are saying, (although you ain't the Wizard) that the cost of playing at a quarter VP machine at a play rate of 800 Hands per hour is around $21ish bucks? I beg to differ my esteemed friend, cause I've done it at far less hands per hour and lost way way more than that.

Sounds to me like you're on some pipe dream, are you one of those advantage player math guys that Rob Singer spoke of when he so eloquently said, "The math people don't want to believe it because their world would turn upside down" on his video on expected value. See you tube.

So my question was, How much does it cost to play for an hour on a quarter machine at 800 hands per hour on a full pay machine, be it JOB, DDB or NSUD or whatever, factoring in at $1.25 per hand, or $5 per hand at a dollar machine, less the small jackpots along the way.

In Layman's terms
Member In Good Standing!
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
April 4th, 2012 at 9:48:51 AM permalink
Quote: BenJammin

Could you say that in Engrish Preeze...?

So, for all us non mathematicians you are saying, (although you ain't the Wizard) that the cost of playing at a quarter VP machine at a play rate of 800 Hands per hour is around $21ish bucks? I beg to differ my esteemed friend, cause I've done it at far less hands per hour and lost way way more than that.

So my question was, How much does it cost to play for an hour on a quarter machine at 800 hands per hour on a full pay machine, be it JOB, DDB or NSUD or whatever, factoring in at $1.25 per hand, or $5 per hand at a dollar machine, less the small jackpots along the way.

In Layman's terms

Define "cost to play." It is possible, although extremely unlikely, that you can lose every hand, in which case, at $1.25/hand, it would cost you $1000/hour.

However, using the Wizard's strategy on an 8/6 DDB machine, you can "expect" to lose an average of about $21/hour on a quarter machine - but remember, that number assumes that you will hit at least one Royal Flush somewhere along the way.
If you assume that the probability of getting a Royal is 1/25,000, and the payout on a quarter machine is $1000 for a $1.25 play, then that's a return of $1000 per $31,250 bet, or $32 per hour; in an hour where you don't get any Royal Flushes, expect to lose $53. (If the probability of getting a Royal Flush is more like 1/40,000, then that's $1000 per $50,000 bet, or $20/hour, so your no-Royal expected hourly loss is $41 - and remember that, at 1 in 40,000, even if you play 800 hands per hour for 24 hours, there's about a 5/8 chance that you don't get any Royals at all in that time period.)
PopCan
PopCan
  • Threads: 1
April 4th, 2012 at 9:53:41 AM permalink
Quote: BenJammin

In Layman's terms

Hmm, I doubt you'll believe my answer more than his but I'll try to simplify it. If you're playing 8/6 JOB you can see on the Wizard's JOB page that the payback is 98.63%. This means that for every $100 you bet you're expected to get back $98.63. That's the same as saying you're expected to lose $1.37 per $100 bet.

If you're playing 800 hands per hour at $1.25 per hand then you're betting a total of $1,000. Since you're expected to lose $1.37 per $100 then you're expected to lose $13.70 for every $1,000. At $5 per hand you'll bet $4,000 with an expected loss of $54.80 per hour.

Those are your average losses. Like you said, your actual results are going to be all over the place. Sometimes you'll get your holy grail and sometimes you'll lose. If you average out your wins & losses over time you should be pretty close to a $13.70 loss per $1,000 bet.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
April 4th, 2012 at 9:57:25 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
  • Jump to: