PeTrcek
PeTrcek
  • Threads: 1
December 8th, 2009 at 3:11:40 AM permalink
If a slot machine has free spins and winnings there are multiplied by a certain factor (common in today's video slot machines) does this mean that in that portion of the game it has positive expectancy (even if bets were made for each free spin)? I would say so if the manufacturers want to keep the payout around 95% for the whole game.

In that case. Is it not advantageous for a player to double-up free spin win as much as he can? Does this not function as lowering combined odds for that spin (always keeping them still above 100%) but increasing bet therefor being a "good" bet? I know you say it is not beneficial to double-up in a positive expectancy game, but this game does not have positive expectancy, but rather just positive expectancy in certain moments only.

btw: Great site(s)!

regards
Peter
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
December 8th, 2009 at 4:20:48 AM permalink
Intuitively, I have to say no, it's not advantageous.

If you don't double, that free spin win money goes into your credits; if you do double, you get the 50-50 double or nothing. It's still free odds. It's the same as a normal double or nothing, a better bet that the slots themselves, a good way to risk more money, but not actually +EV.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
marksolberg
marksolberg
  • Threads: 26
December 8th, 2009 at 8:11:04 AM permalink
I'm not familiar with any slots where you can bet a different amount on a free spin (or any other kind) of bonus. Typically the bonus is only played with the amount that was bet when the bonus game was triggered. That said, many if not most bonuses on video slots have a positive expectation.

Mark
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
December 8th, 2009 at 5:23:48 PM permalink
For most (if not all) video slots, free-spin bonus rounds are positive expectation, but of course require a negative-expectation bet to achieve. Doubling won't increase your winnings or losses in the long run (assuming a fair double-up game). Half the time you'll lose your winnings, and half the time you'll double them. It's a wash.

Let's apply this same question to video poker: a dealt royal flush is a rare starting hand with a positive expectation. Would you try to double the winnings from a dealt royal flush just because it had a positive expectation for that particular bet?
  • Jump to: