2 votes (22.22%)
1 vote (11.11%)

9 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1145
February 10th, 2019 at 6:25:02 AM permalink
A stranger offers to sell you a bottle containing a genie. The genie will grant her owner, and any subsequent new owner, one wish. As usual, with genie puzzles, you can't ask for more wishes or anything that would negate the deal to buy the bottle. That said, the only rule is within a year of buying the bottle, you must sell it to another logician for less that what you paid. The rules to the new owner will be the same as for you and you must be truthful about them. The transaction must be in U.S. currency and in amounts evenly divisible by a penny. If you do not find such a buyer, you will spend eternity in hell. You have no reason to doubt the stranger's offer. You believe in hell and expect to not otherwise go there. What is the least amount you should pay?

It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 7
February 10th, 2019 at 6:40:59 AM permalink
A few questions:

1) Can you sell it for negative amounts (ie, pay someone to take it)?

2) Can you make compound wishes (ie, I wish I had A and B)?

3) Is there such a thing as an uncountable infinite amount of U.S. currency in this hypothetical world of real genies and hell?

4) Can the same person own the genie more than once?

This reminds me of that Twighlight Zone episode where a man brings a box with a red button and tells the couple that if they push the red button someone they don’t know will be killed and the couple will receive a million dollars.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
February 10th, 2019 at 6:46:37 AM permalink
I would pay a penny.

I would pre-arrange a buyer, take him to the sale, take his money and add my penny and buy the bottle, make my wish and hand over the bottle to my buyer.
unJon
unJon
February 10th, 2019 at 7:18:29 AM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

I would pay a penny.

I would pre-arrange a buyer, take him to the sale, take his money and add my penny and buy the bottle, make my wish and hand over the bottle to my buyer.

This answer violates the rule that you must sell the genie to a logician.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Dalex64
Dalex64
February 10th, 2019 at 7:39:37 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

This answer violates the rule that you must sell the genie to a logician.

How so?

No reason that he can't have a pre-arranged buyer and be adding his own penny, so on and so forth, all the way down to the last penny, when the last logician finds he can't sell it at all and would go to hell and therefore wouldn't buy it, at which point the whole purchasing chain collapses.

You could also say that only a fool will get involved, or purchase without a pre-arranged buyer, and if logicians are not fools, then no logicians would get involved at all.
Last edited by: Dalex64 on Feb 10, 2019
RS
RS
  • Threads: 59
February 10th, 2019 at 7:45:58 AM permalink
If the logician you sell it to would also have to sell it to a logician for less than what he paid, and that next logician would have to...etc. forever, then I reckon you should pay nothing for it, because a logician wouldn’t take a bad deal.

Last logician “might” buy it for $0.01. But he won’t, because he can’t sell it for $0.00.
The logician before him may try to buy it for $0.02, but he won’t, because he knows he won’t have a buyer at $0.01.
The logician before him wouldn’t buy it for $0.03, because he knows the theoretical buyer at $0.02 won’t buy because no one will buy at $0.01.
And so on.

So the answer is you just shouldn’t buy it.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
unJon
unJon
February 10th, 2019 at 7:46:38 AM permalink
Exactly, Dalex. House of cards falls down. Though Wizard would propbably be grateful if you edited your second post to put it under a spoiler code.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 81
February 10th, 2019 at 8:18:04 AM permalink

Here's my answer:
You can't really put a price on what to pay for it, as long as your wish is:
"I wish that all purchasers of the bottle spend eternity in heaven."
I then explain this fact to the potential buyers, and ask for one penny less than I paid for it, in order to maximize the number of buyers.
If the last one - the one that paid a penny - has to go to hell, then the genie is the one violating the deal, and not me.

Of course, every one of us will be made immortal and then cast into the middle of some asteroid where we will never be able to make contact with anybody, or have any sensory perceptions of anything except possible constant intense pain, but that's what you get when you deal with genies...

unJon
unJon
February 10th, 2019 at 8:57:52 AM permalink
I guess we need to know whether:

There exists at least one logician that either (1) does not believe in hell or (2) already believes he is going to hell no matter what.
Dalex64
Dalex64
February 10th, 2019 at 8:59:38 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Exactly, Dalex. House of cards falls down. Though Wizard would propbably be grateful if you edited your second post to put it under a spoiler code.

Good idea, done.

• Jump to: