If the red die is a 4 (the second one), then you're left with the matrix:

....................1-4..............
....................2-4..............
....................3-4..............
....................4-4..............
....................5-4..............
....................6-4..............

Again, only 1 of 6 ways to get a 4-4.

Although, I'm not entirely sure what Wizard means in his last post, or if he mistyped something.

This not true. When the EXPOSED die is a red 4, the 4-4 cell on this grid should get only half the weighting.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
PeeMcGee
PeeMcGee
  • Threads: 1
May 26th, 2015 at 8:42:55 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Here is my interpretation of the Dalex64 question:

I maintain the answer is 1/11.

1/11 is the correct answer to that interpretation.

1/6 is the correct answer if the peeker does not randomly pick between the two dice if both are fours. So, if the peeker ALWAYS exposes the red four.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 26th, 2015 at 10:55:15 AM permalink
Quote: PeeMcGee

1/6 is the correct answer if the peeker does not randomly pick between the two dice if both are fours. So, if the peeker ALWAYS exposes the red four.

I agree, however RS evidently did not interpret the question that way, and I think Dalex meant that the peeker would choose the die to expose randomly if both were a four.

Quote: RS

If the red die is a 4, there is a 1/6 chance the green die is a 4.

If the green die is a 4, there is a 1/6 chance the red die is a 4.

If either die (ie: color unknown) is a 4, then there is a 1/11 chance the other die (or both dice) is/are a 4.

Dalex64
Dalex64
May 26th, 2015 at 11:28:50 AM permalink
I did mean it that way, and it is fascinating that the answer remains 1/11.

I verified that with a simulation.

I believe in the variation where the dealer will select a red 4 when given the choice of a red 4 and a green 4, whenever a green 4 is displayed the chance that both dice are a 4 is 0, because the only time a green 4 will be selected is when the red die is NOT a 4.

So I can see now that this version of the problem won't work in the way that I wanted it to work.
AceTwo
AceTwo
  • Threads: 5
May 26th, 2015 at 12:23:27 PM permalink
I think what we are discussing has a name and is called 'Berkson's paradox.

The result is that two independent events become conditionally dependent (negatively dependent) given that at least one of them occurs. Symbolically:
if 0 < P(A) < 1 and 0 < P(B) < 1 (each event may or may not occur),and P(A|B) = P(A) (they are independent),then P(A|B,C) < P(A|C) where C = AuB (i.e. A or B) (A is less likely to occur given that A or B occurs and given that B occurs, than if simply A or B occurs).

In words, given two independent events, if you only consider outcomes where at least one occurs, then they become negatively dependent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkson%27s_paradox
indignant99
indignant99
  • Threads: 2
May 26th, 2015 at 3:26:13 PM permalink

1/11 is the correct answer to that interpretation.

So does the exposer show a green-4 when he must, by virtue of no red-4 existing to even be exposed? If yes, there are still 11 exposure events that could be revealed.
Yeah, I made a mistake once. I thought I was wrong, when I actually wasn't. -Indignant
indignant99
indignant99
May 26th, 2015 at 3:50:11 PM permalink

I agree, however RS evidently did not interpret the question that way, and I think Dalex meant that the peeker would choose the die to expose randomly if both were a four.

I don't think exposer bias has any impact on the 1/11 probability. Unless the bias is profound to the point of failing to expose a green-4 when it's the only 4 available ... ever ... upon occasion.
Yeah, I made a mistake once. I thought I was wrong, when I actually wasn't. -Indignant
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
May 26th, 2015 at 4:27:26 PM permalink

This not true. When the EXPOSED die is a red 4, the 4-4 cell on this grid should get only half the weighting.

IF you're only looking for an exposed red-4, then the 4-4 should hold its equal weighting of 1/6. ie: A green-4 and a red-non-4 does not meet the criteria.

IF you're looking for "at least one 4", then I agree, it's 1/11....at least I think. Brain a little fuzzy right now.
Dalex64
Dalex64
May 26th, 2015 at 7:13:48 PM permalink
You are looking for at least one four, you are told that there is at least one four, and you are shown exactly one four.

When both dice are 4, one of them is chosen randomly to show you.

It was my belief that knowing the color would give you more useful information, but it seems that it does not.
PeeMcGee
PeeMcGee
May 26th, 2015 at 7:25:42 PM permalink
Quote: indignant99

So does the exposer show a green-4 when he must, by virtue of no red-4 existing to even be exposed? If yes, there are still 11 exposure events that could be revealed.

He can. But then the probability that the red die is a four is 0.
indignant99
indignant99
May 26th, 2015 at 7:31:57 PM permalink

Yeah! On the 5 eventualities of Green-4 without Red-4.
But those Five eventualities are still exposed, along with the Six that do contain a Red-4.

11 exposures... only 1 is a pair of Fours.

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference, the exposer's bias, when he's exposing either/or die upon pair-of-fours.
PeeMcGee
PeeMcGee
May 26th, 2015 at 7:57:03 PM permalink

But those Five eventualities are still exposed, along with the Six that do contain a Red-4.

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference, the exposer's bias, when he's exposing either/or die upon pair-of-fours.

Yea, there are 6 exposures that are red. One of those is a pair. So 1/6.
The other 5 exposures are green. None are pairs. So 0.

So, correct, there are 11 exposures, but only 6 with an opportunity for a pair.
indignant99
indignant99
May 26th, 2015 at 8:01:47 PM permalink

Okay... 11 exposures. How do you get 1-in-6, even with exposer's red-bias?
PeeMcGee
PeeMcGee
May 26th, 2015 at 8:25:57 PM permalink

1 out of 11 exposures will be a pair of fours. But when you see the color of the die you gain additional information. If you see red, then it’s 1/6. If you see green, then it’s 0.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 26th, 2015 at 8:37:39 PM permalink

To clarify, here is the latest variant to the "two-dice problem":

Quote:

A red and a green die are rolled. A peeker will check for at least on four. If there is exactly one four, then he will expose it. If both are a four, he will expose the red die. Question -- When a red four is exposed, what is the probability the green die is also a four?

Using Bayesian analysis:

Pr(both dice a four given red four exposed) = Pr(both dice a four)/Pr(red four exposed) = (1/36) / (1/6) = 1/6.
indignant99
indignant99
May 26th, 2015 at 8:43:14 PM permalink

1 out of 11 exposures will be a pair of fours. But when you see the color of the die you gain additional information. If you see red, then it’s 1/6. If you see green, then it’s 0.

But I, as the assessor of probability, DO NOT KNOW the exposer's bias.
I see 11 exposures, none the wiser that the 5 green-4's are losers.
Nor, that the 6 red-4's enjoy a 1-in-6 probability of showing pair.

I am stuck with 11 exposures, only one of which is pair-of-fours.
PeeMcGee
PeeMcGee
May 26th, 2015 at 8:52:30 PM permalink

But I, as the assessor of probability, DO NOT KNOW the exposer's bias.
I see 11 exposures, none the wiser that the 5 green-4's are losers.
Nor, that the 6 red-4's enjoy a 1-in-6 probability of showing pair.

I am stuck with 11 exposures, only one of which is pair-of-fours.

If you do not know the exposer’s bias, then you’re simply back at the original question with 1 in 11 probability…correct.

It’s just like the Monty Hall problem—if you know the host will always reveal the goat, then you should switch.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 26th, 2015 at 9:40:33 PM permalink

It’s just like the Monty Hall problem—if you know the host will always reveal the goat, then you should switch.

You're absolutely right. If there is a peeker or host in any probability question, then his behavior should be clearly spelled out or expect thousands of posts arguing about the interpretation of the question.

BTW, I'm still waiting for anybody in the 1/6 camp to come to Vegas with their money and prove me wrong.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
May 26th, 2015 at 9:45:09 PM permalink

BTW, I'm still waiting for anybody in the 1/6 camp to come to Vegas with their money and prove me wrong.

I think there is only about four or five of them and and all they can do is bad mouth the experts.

And of course none of them will put their money where their mouths are.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
indignant99
indignant99
May 26th, 2015 at 9:54:27 PM permalink
Quote:

If both are a four, he will expose the red die.

I missed this. If I know the Exposer's iron-clad Exposure Rules (or indeed I am the Exposer), then I know:
  • An exposed green-4 cannot lead to a pair-of-fours. (Haunting question: How would anyone rule in/out this eventuality - exposed green-4 - before any exposure took place?)
  • An exposed red-4 enjoys a 1-in-6 probability of grabbing/snapping onto the other 4, indeed a green-4, to achieve a Pair-of-Fours. (Haunting question: How would anyone rule in/out this eventuality - exposed red-4 - before any exposure took place?)
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
May 27th, 2015 at 12:33:22 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I think there is only about four or five of them and and all they can do is bad mouth the experts.

Of those supporting Alan on his own forum, there are some who don't even fall into the 1/6 camp ( E.g. Singer) They just want to use it as a springboard for a bit of posturing. According to Rob, the contagion has now moved on to another forum where Alan is going to become the target of some mockery and badmouthing of his own. Oh. hum. it'll keep him amused. Who would have thought that ancient post of the original dice question could stir up such a hornets' nest.

Quote:

Well I've profited from a side bet ;o)

I still have a pension fund to invest if the 1/6thers are confident. The weather in Blighty is sunny and dry.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 27th, 2015 at 6:33:18 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Of those supporting Alan on his own forum, there are some who don't even fall into the 1/6 camp ( E.g. Singer) They just want to use it as a springboard for a bit of posturing. According to Rob, the contagion has now moved on to another forum where Alan is going to become the target of some mockery and badmouthing of his own. Oh. hum. it'll keep him amused. Who would have thought that ancient post of the original dice question could stir up such a hornets' nest.

Well I've profited from a side bet ;o)

I still have a pension fund to invest if the 1/6thers are confident. The weather in Blighty is sunny and dry.

I get the feeling that the only reason Singer's ban was lifted was to help troll the forum there. I've said it before and I'll say it again. He has absolutely ZERO CREDIBILITY in the gaming/gambling world and anyone who even listens to him needs a psychiatrist. Why anyone gives him a place to spew his trash is beyond me. And honestly, it makes Alan's credibility go even lower.

Good that you've made money on this!
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 27th, 2015 at 10:22:19 AM permalink

Edit: Alan is still waiting on a video. Of course it won't matter because he'll dismiss that too.
OnceDear
OnceDear
May 27th, 2015 at 12:15:36 PM permalink

Edit: Alan is still waiting on a video. Of course it won't matter because he'll dismiss that too.

I actually have a script for that video. Meets all his criteria.

Only two dice featured. No dice get lifted or spun around.
Only one throw of the dice, in total.
At least one of the dice is a two.
Not one, but both dice are 'Set' in their landing position.

And still the probability is 1/11.

But this video will be a tickets only, paid viewing. If he wants content for his site, it will cost him $100.

If he prefers to be un-enlightened, that's fine with me.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 27th, 2015 at 1:53:41 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

I actually have a script for that video. Meets all his criteria.

Only two dice featured. No dice get lifted or spun around.
Only one throw of the dice, in total.
At least one of the dice is a two.
Not one, but both dice are 'Set' in their landing position.

And still the probability is 1/11.

But this video will be a tickets only, paid viewing. If he wants content for his site, it will cost him $100.

If he prefers to be un-enlightened, that's fine with me.

They keep thinking it's a once die problem. It's not! People, there are 12 TOTAL faces. Only one face gets eliminated. Not the whole Damn die! There are 11 faces left. The damn answer is 1 in 11. How GD hard is that to understand???
OnceDear
OnceDear
May 27th, 2015 at 2:06:38 PM permalink

How GD hard is that to understand???

Easy to understand. Impossible to persuade a Donkey. (Any donkey, no names mentioned)

I'm still happy to take bets in my 'Educate The Donkey Derby'

Set the scene...
A Donkey (Any donkey),
Two Furry Dice,
A highly numerate and literate array of trainers (teachers, not shoes),
Unlimited training resources including but not limited to...
Whiteboard,
Big screen computer,
Video equipment,
Carrots,
Sticks,
45 revolver.
You name it, every training aid conceivable.

Objective for the trainers is to teach the Donkey how to roll the two furry dice (Not just one).
Objective for the Donkey is to fail.

My money is on Donkey.
RS
RS
May 27th, 2015 at 2:06:57 PM permalink
I'm still trying to figure out why indignant is feeding the trolls over there (not Alan, he's not a troll, since he's a member here) on Alan's forum, with his pictures and whatnot. I got banned for saying "fart".
OnceDear
OnceDear
May 27th, 2015 at 2:12:36 PM permalink

I'm still trying to figure out why indignant is feeding the trolls over there .

Many of us made the same mistake.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 27th, 2015 at 2:20:05 PM permalink

I'm still trying to figure out why indignant is feeding the trolls over there (not Alan, he's not a troll, since he's a member here) on Alan's forum, with his pictures and whatnot....

I like the comment about the diagrams looking like electrical ones.

BTW Alan, nice royal! More proof stop losses/win goals don't help. $67 for $5 worth of food though, not worth it :-)
RS
RS
May 27th, 2015 at 2:22:54 PM permalink

I like the comment about the diagrams looking like electrical ones.

BTW Alan, nice royal! More proof stop losses/win goals don't help. $67 for $5 worth of food though, not worth it :-)

And he's still down a few $k for the year?

#StopLossesDontWork
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 27th, 2015 at 2:50:35 PM permalink

I'm still trying to figure out why indignant is feeding the trolls over there...

There is truly only one troll over there and we all know who it is.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 27th, 2015 at 3:12:39 PM permalink
Alan. Answer over here. Quit copying and pasting!

You can't eliminate the whole die because you don't know which one it is. Get it through your head. I'm not a math guy and I can clearly see this. Also, craps dealers, or most any dealers don't know squat about odds and strategy. They'd be the last to ask.

If you can't understand conditional probability, keep being the losing gambler you'll always be.
indignant99
indignant99
May 27th, 2015 at 10:56:14 PM permalink

They keep thinking it's a once die problem. It's not! People, there are 12 TOTAL faces. Only one face gets eliminated. Not the whole Damn die! There are 11 faces left. The damn answer is 1 in 11. How GD hard is that to understand???

Want proof Alan is a flat-out LIAR? Look.

In case Fraud Mendelson expunges his own post, here's a cut-and-paste:
Quote:

I have to laugh... after quoting Ibeatyouraces here he removed this post from the WOV forum (his typo remains):

Do ya think he realized how ridiculous it was?

Here was my original response:

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post

Would someone please clue them in that when you have one face showing on a die that the other five faces on that same die cannot show or be used? To quote the post on the WOV forum, "how GD hard is that to understand???"

I guess it is: "(Alan) simply can't get past a die having six sides." -- Michael Shackleford May 12, 2015

Alan Mendelson
www.AlanBestBuys.com
"(Alan) simply can't get past a die having six sides." -- Michael Shackleford May 12, 2015

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 28th, 2015 at 11:25:02 AM permalink

Want proof Alan is a flat-out LIAR? ... In case Fraud Mendelson expunges his own post, ...

Personal insult -- third offense -- 14 days.
RS
RS
May 28th, 2015 at 4:40:11 PM permalink
I've never understood this "personal insult" offense/rule.

What's wrong with calling someone out if they are in fact a liar/fraud?

PS: I'm not saying Alan is a liar/fraud nor am I saying he isn't.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
May 28th, 2015 at 5:56:09 PM permalink

PS: I'm not saying Alan is a liar/fraud nor am I saying he isn't.

IMO calling someone a liar VS a fraud is different.

I don't think calling someone out on a lie should be suspension worthy. Probably best not to call them a liar. Perhaps say something like... IMO that's a lie.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 28th, 2015 at 7:01:42 PM permalink

My position is that if it sounds like an insult, then I throw the flag. It is not required of the administrators to conduct an investigation with every perceived insult to determine whether it is an opinion or fact. We pretty much assume it is always an opinion.

It is especially not incumbent on the administrators to investigate other sites involved in the perceived insult.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 28th, 2015 at 7:15:50 PM permalink

My position is that if it sounds like an insult, then I throw the flag. It is not required of the administrators to conduct an investigation with every perceived insult to determine whether it is an opinion or fact. We pretty much assume it is always an opinion.

It is especially not incumbent on the administrators to investigate other sites involved in the perceived insult.

Yeah, I'm very not-fond of cross-forum arguments, myself. This thread has gone 74 pages now, and Alan stopped posting in it, what, 20-some pages back? Ugghhh...
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Kerkebet
Kerkebet
May 29th, 2015 at 10:40:02 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Yeah, I'm very not-fond of cross-forum arguments, myself. This thread has gone 74 pages now, and Alan stopped posting in it, what, 20-some pages back? Ugghhh...

It would be nice to discuss this problem without all the "Ugghhh..." I will try again, but it's too bad when people summarily call it nonsense, and then make up their own interpretations for it in the process.

I have found Alan's forum not nearly so "argumentative". He doesn't "have anything to prove" over there, especially not mathematically.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
- Mark Twain
Nonsense is a very hard thing to keep up. Just ask the Wizard and company.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 29th, 2015 at 2:42:32 PM permalink
Quote: Kerkebet

It would be nice to discuss this problem without all the "Ugghhh..." I will try again, but it's too bad when people summarily call it nonsense, and then make up their own interpretations for it in the process.

I have found Alan's forum not nearly so "argumentative". He doesn't "have anything to prove" over there, especially not mathematically.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
- Mark Twain

The "Ugghhh" was in reference to Alan having left this forum to argue with itself over what he's saying over there and forum members bringing back selective bits to discuss or continue arguing over. Subject matter is almost irrelevant. If the part of the discussion he was involved in here has ended for him, why keep bringing him up? From the viewpoint of THIS forum, it's undesirable at best. Same thing when people bring arguments here they're having on a dice forum, baccarat forum, or other gambling forum. We don't need to host outside bits of conversation. There's no value in discussing it, or retaining a thread that isn't self-contained.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 9th, 2015 at 8:57:46 AM permalink
What happened to all the camp 1/6 members? Is there a Flat Earth Society meeting keeping them busy?
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
June 9th, 2015 at 9:00:58 AM permalink
I think they're testing their dice with calipers to make sure they're not biased. Maybe they're now in the 1/6.04 camp.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
June 9th, 2015 at 9:56:25 AM permalink

What happened to all the camp 1/6 members? Is there a Flat Earth Society meeting keeping them busy?

I'm not in the flat earth society but do believe the earth is relatively flat. I feel insulted.
100% risk of ruin
pew
pew
  • Threads: 0
June 9th, 2015 at 11:06:09 AM permalink
PLEASE!...... PLEASE!... don't resurrect this thread.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 9th, 2015 at 12:50:09 PM permalink
I still can't escape the feeling we never had proper closure on this. It would have been nice to have at least won a lunch from a 1/6 Society member.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
June 9th, 2015 at 1:20:55 PM permalink
Well at the beginning I was a 1/6 but after 12 pages or so you all convinced me otherwise. I still have a little spot in my heart for 1/6.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
pew
pew
  • Threads: 0
June 9th, 2015 at 1:36:28 PM permalink

I still can't escape the feeling we never had proper closure on this. It would have been nice to have at least won a lunch from a 1/6 Society member.

And with Alan you never will. THAT'S THE FRIKKIN POINT!!!!! (sorry for yelling.)
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 9th, 2015 at 2:24:45 PM permalink
Quote: pew

And with Alan you never will. THAT'S THE FRIKKIN POINT!!!!! (sorry for yelling.)

On the contrary. On Alan's own forum, he has conceded the wager, though of course he never conceded the argument. He also put $50 value on that lunch. By my reckoning, if he comes to Vegas without offering an unconditional $50 or $50 lunch to Mike, then he would become a welcher.
And that is all absolutely regardless of arguments or wagers about dice.

Quote: Alan on his own forum

This is not a rolling of two dice problem. It is separate from the bet with the Wizard. Frankly, I concede the bet because the way the Wizard and I agreed to our own bet was a limited number of rolls.

Quote: Alan on his own forum

That won't resolve anything because anything can happen when two dice are rolled. I know that and you know that. In fact, since the bet with the Wizard that we decided on has a very limited number of rolls -- and only a $50 lunch was at stake -- I've already conceded defeat.

Only the bolding is mine.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 9th, 2015 at 3:37:22 PM permalink
I am looking forward to Alan personally getting in touch with me to resolve or concede the bet. He may get an F in probability but he is an honest man in my eyes until proven otherwise.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
June 9th, 2015 at 3:43:29 PM permalink
Their contention wasn't the math of the question but the wording of it. I believe that's why he conceded the bet.
  • Jump to: