Math
Math
  • Threads: 1
June 16th, 2010 at 1:12:38 AM permalink
How to measure 4 pints of beer with a 3-pint and 5-pint glass available:
Assumption: the glasses are symmetrical.
Tilt either glass while filling with beer until the fluid level barely covers the entire bottom while extending exactly to the rim at the top. Do the same with the other glass. Each glass is now half-full. 1.5 + 2.5 = 4.
CENTZ
CENTZ
  • Threads: 0
June 16th, 2010 at 3:24:44 PM permalink
Fill the 3 pint glass. Pour the 3 pints into the 5 pint glass. Fill the 3 pint glass again. Top off the 5 pint glass from the 3 pint glass leaving 1 pint in the 3 pint glass. Pour the 5 pints back into the pitcher. Pour the 1 pint from the 3 pint glass into
the 5 pint glass. Fill the 3 pint glass and add it to the 5 pint glass= 4 pints. Note: glasses need not be symmetrical.

Centz
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
June 16th, 2010 at 4:06:46 PM permalink
Or you can watch Die Hard with a Vengeance to see Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson do it.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 16th, 2010 at 7:20:07 PM permalink
Quote: CENTZ

Fill the 3 pint glass. Pour the 3 pints into the 5 pint glass. Fill the 3 pint glass again. Top off the 5 pint glass from the 3 pint glass leaving 1 pint in the 3 pint glass. Pour the 5 pints back into the pitcher. Pour the 1 pint from the 3 pint glass into
the 5 pint glass. Fill the 3 pint glass and add it to the 5 pint glass= 4 pints. Note: glasses need not be symmetrical.

Centz

I think that method is what they used in Die Hard. Personally, I've always preferred the version heavy on the 5 pint glass. Fill the 5 pint glass, use it to fill the 3 pint glass. empty the 3 pint glass. pour the remaining 2 pints from the 5 pint glass to the 3 pint glass. refill the 5 pint glass. top off and empty the 3 pint glass, and there are 4 pints left in the 5 pint glass.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
June 16th, 2010 at 8:45:11 PM permalink
Here's a non-math comment on this question from a non-beer-drinker...

Isn't 5 pints a bit large for a beer glass? That's well over a half gallon, and (without checking the density of brew) I think the beer would weigh more than four pounds, not counting the glass itself. Seems like an inconvenient handful of beverage. I've seen the yard-of-beer thing, but I thought that was only for folks that wanted to look like juvenile dorks.
ruascott
ruascott
  • Threads: 17
June 17th, 2010 at 5:17:30 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Here's a non-math comment on this question from a non-beer-drinker...

Isn't 5 pints a bit large for a beer glass? That's well over a half gallon, and (without checking the density of brew) I think the beer would weigh more than four pounds, not counting the glass itself. Seems like an inconvenient handful of beverage. I've seen the yard-of-beer thing, but I thought that was only for folks that wanted to look like juvenile dorks.

Haha...funny. That is the same exact thing I thought when reading this. Does a 5 pint glass even exist? Or even a 3 pint glass? 5 pints is like 6 1/2 beers. I love beer, but even I stop at the monster 32oz glasses at the local Mexican restaurant.
  • Jump to: