buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
August 14th, 2012 at 9:43:47 PM permalink
TRUE STORY

2 Chicago card sharps, 1962, 2nd floor above the 2 O'clock Club. Blaze Starr's strip joint, Game breaks up at 2 am Sunday morning.

Blaze's request, she is getting heat about Congressman she is dating.

Rich Riggie offers to continue game at his house, suburbs in NW Baltimore.

But will need cards. 7 or 8 all night drug stores, 3 en route to his house.

Instead Rich drives to east Baltimore, black neighborhood, buys 10 packs of bicycles.

They use 2 to play with and Rich and friends get their clocks cleaned.

2 days later the DOCTOR proves the cards were marked *

How did the Chicago card sharps pull this off ?

* Marked cards can be a bitch to detect. John Scarne would bet 5 or 6 house guests , bankers, business men etc.
they could not find which of 5 decks was marked, He never lost, despite the fact all 5 decks were marked.

CLUES : My dad was a cab driver and first to tell Rich what probably happened.

1962 and at that time to buy cards, dice, or condoms, they were usually out of sight at the pharmacy counter.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 14th, 2012 at 11:30:47 PM permalink
Shame on Rich for getting cleaned, since he bought the cards.

Quote:

How did the Chicago card sharps pull this off ?

They were all ears when Rich said how he got the cards.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
August 19th, 2012 at 4:23:16 PM permalink
Sorry for late replies

Cab drivers played Pinochle back then. That's how my Dad figured it out. Don't blame Rich. These were no chain drugstore, so different supplier. One guy even bought his cards at an estate sale of a D.C. drugstore. Sharpie would go into store, tell druggist having a big poker party, buy every deck in stock. Then go to car, switch deck, come in and apologize, he needed pinocle decks instead.

Proving once again if you have ever played cards for serious money, you have been cheated somewhere along the line. And despite
effort by experts ( Switch) top limit cheating on-line it is still paradise for a sophisticated cheater.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
August 19th, 2012 at 6:57:55 PM permalink
Sorry, I just don't understand that answer, the syntax is too fractured. I don't get the sequence of events.
A falling knife has no handle.
  • Jump to: