7outlineaway
7outlineaway
  • Threads: 9
May 24th, 2011 at 11:45:59 AM permalink
I'll be in Vegas next week and am hoping to hike Mt. Charleston. Has anyone done it? Any idea whether it would be snow-free yet? From what I've read it seems most of the snow melts by around now, but it has been a heavier than average snow year in the Sierra Nevada.
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
May 24th, 2011 at 11:46:42 AM permalink
Quote: 7outlineaway

I'll be in Vegas next week and am hoping to hike Mt. Charleston. Has anyone done it? Any idea whether it would be snow-free yet? From what I've read it seems most of the snow melts by around now, but it has been a heavier than average snow year in the Sierra Nevada.

How do you get to Mt. C. from LV?

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
7outlineaway
7outlineaway
May 24th, 2011 at 11:52:28 AM permalink
Drive, then hike.

OK, it's to the northwest, up US 95, then along a secondary highway to the trailhead. Looks like the vertical gain is around 4500 feet.
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
May 24th, 2011 at 12:05:14 PM permalink
It was snow capped when we left on Saturday.
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 24th, 2011 at 12:26:27 PM permalink

I've climbed it lots of times. In fact I made it about half way on Sunday, but snow eventually made it too dangerous to continue. So, yes, it has way too much snow now to summit, unless you have all the requisite gear like crampons and ice axe. Still, if you start on the North Loop trailhead you should be able to go about 6 or 7 miles before the snow becomes too much of a problem. You're not likely to get far at all on the South Loop trail. I think you'll have to wait until mid July to get to the summit without snow.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
7outlineaway
7outlineaway
May 24th, 2011 at 12:33:03 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I've climbed it lots of times. In fact I made it about half way on Sunday, but snow eventually made it too dangerous to continue. So, yes, it has way too much snow now to summit, unless you have all the requisite gear like crampons and ice axe. Still, if you start on the North Loop trailhead you should be able to go about 6 or 7 miles before the snow becomes too much of a problem. You're not likely to get far at all on the South Loop trail. I think you'll have to wait until mid July to get to the summit without snow.

OK, thanks.

Is that a lot more snow than usual for this time of year? I am in Reno right now and the Tahoe peaks still have a LOT of snow on them, more than I've seen in past years around this time. Basically anywhere with tree cover (or above treeline) still has snow.
JIMMYFOCKER
JIMMYFOCKER
  • Threads: 17
June 7th, 2011 at 12:46:18 PM permalink
Have the ELK at the lodge, it is outstanding.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 7th, 2011 at 2:12:24 PM permalink

Is that a lot more snow than usual for this time of year? I am in Reno right now and the Tahoe peaks still have a LOT of snow on them, more than I've seen in past years around this time. Basically anywhere with tree cover (or above treeline) still has snow.

Sorry for the tardy reply. Yes, Mt. Charleston had a lot more than average snowfall last winter. I plan to get as far as I can on the mountain, probably on Monday. Stay tuned for my report.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: