Knuckleball3
Knuckleball3
  • Threads: 7
May 17th, 2011 at 8:51:04 AM permalink
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has eaten at the Hofbrauhaus in Vegas? It is supposed to be the only exact replica of the original Hofbrauhaus in Munich. I am going to be in Vegas Thurs.-Sun. and was planning on checking it out. Having lived in Germany last year from April-October I was able to eat some amazing German food, and I don't want to be disappointed. Any responses/reviews will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
"In the poker game of life, women are the rake" Edward Norton (Rounders)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 17th, 2011 at 8:58:39 AM permalink
It has been discussed here a while back. I can't speak for everybody, but I LOVE the place. One of my favorite restaurants in Vegas.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Knuckleball3
Knuckleball3
May 17th, 2011 at 9:04:02 AM permalink
Thanks Wiz! Any favorites for you on the menu?
"In the poker game of life, women are the rake" Edward Norton (Rounders)
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
May 17th, 2011 at 9:12:09 AM permalink
Wow--I didn't even know there was a Hofbrauhaus in Vegas!

You almost have to have sauerbraten if you go. My mom was German and I loved that stuff and I wondered why she never made it until I found a recipe for it. You've got to marinate it for three days. I'd never go through that much work for something my kids wouldn't touch, so I'd make sure to load up on it when I got the chance.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 17th, 2011 at 9:21:09 AM permalink
Quote: Knuckleball3

Thanks Wiz! Any favorites for you on the menu?

Everything is tasty! Try to go when the band is playing, which I think is weekends only. It makes it much more fun.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
May 17th, 2011 at 9:53:06 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

It has been discussed here a while back. I can't speak for everybody, but I LOVE the place. One of my favorite restaurants in Vegas.

Has it gotten better? I went for lunch with co-workers right when it first opened, and they didn't have their act together at all. Service was slow, food was mediocre. If those have been improved, I'd like to hear. I enjoy a good German-style pig-out (pun-intended) on occasion.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 17th, 2011 at 10:21:09 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Has it gotten better? I went for lunch with co-workers right when it first opened, and they didn't have their act together at all. Service was slow, food was mediocre. If those have been improved, I'd like to hear. I enjoy a good German-style pig-out (pun-intended) on occasion.

I've been there several times and the service was always fine. The place is definitely kind of campy. It is not the kind of place to go for a serious business lunch.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
May 17th, 2011 at 10:35:40 AM permalink
We weren't a serious lunch crowd, just a bunch of software types tired of the south-of-Sunset strip mall fare. But that day service was so slow we were all late for our after-lunch meeting.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
OneAngryDwarf
OneAngryDwarf
  • Threads: 44
May 22nd, 2011 at 7:26:08 PM permalink
I haven't been to the one in Vegas, but I've eaten (and drank!) at the Hofbrauhaus in Pittsburgh, and concur that it is a very fun time. The soft pretzels with cheese sauce that they pass around at about midnight or so are quite possibly the ultimate drunk food.
"I believe I've passed the age/of consciousness and righteous rage/I've found that just surviving was a noble fight... I once believed in causes too/I had my pointless point of view/And life went on no matter who was wrong or right..." --Billy Joel
clarkacal
clarkacal
  • Threads: 42
May 22nd, 2011 at 8:06:21 PM permalink
I went to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich as part of a tour and had a beer. I don't remember much about it because I didn't realize how famous it was at the time. The one at the WOrld Showcase in Florida was really nice with great food and entertainment. Actually not sure if it was a Hofbrauhaus but it was a lot like one.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
May 22nd, 2011 at 8:28:08 PM permalink
Quote: clarkacal

. The one at the WOrld Showcase in Florida was really nice with great food and entertainment. Actually not sure if it was a Hofbrauhaus but it was a lot like one.

It's not a Hofbrauhaus, just a Biergarten. You can stuff yourself silly there but I don't remember any sauerbraten. Maybe it's only served for dinner and we went for lunch? I think they recently added more walk-up options in the Germany section as well, but the last time I went it was just me and the little girl so we did very little dining and a lot of snacking instead. I save the big meals for when we have the whole crew.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
May 22nd, 2011 at 9:15:28 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The place is definitely kind of campy.

Holy cow, 'campy'! I haven't heard that word in decades. Its a word that was used a lot in the 60's and means 'in bad taste, ironic, but fun', or something like that. I haven't heard it since the 80's.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
clarkacal
clarkacal
  • Threads: 42
May 22nd, 2011 at 9:39:11 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Holy cow, 'campy'! I haven't heard that word in decades. Its a word that was used a lot in the 60's and means 'in bad taste, ironic, but fun', or something like that. I haven't heard it since the 80's.

The first time I ever heard that word was on an Old Navy TV commercial so I knew it couldn't be good.
  • Jump to: