Thread Rating:

Poll

7 votes (87.5%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (12.5%)
1 vote (12.5%)
1 vote (12.5%)

8 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1496
  • Posts: 26619
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
Thanked by
ChumpChange
August 25th, 2021 at 4:14:45 PM permalink
One project that has been on my to-do list for years that I finally got around to is my Gambling Session Calculator. It is designed to give a host of statistics for a table-game session. Please click the link to try it out.

I must start serving my four-day suspension today and wanted to make this announcement before turning myself in to WoV jail. I will be happy to entertain all comments and suggestions upon my release on Monday.

The question for the poll is what is your overall opinion?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 2706
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
August 25th, 2021 at 8:30:56 PM permalink
How come no craps? Pass/DP with and without odds
It’s all about making that GTA
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
  • Posts: 9618
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
August 26th, 2021 at 3:39:00 AM permalink
it's odd you are using the word 'luck' when you so often say you get misunderstood.

Wouldn't you know it, as a matter of fact I had trouble figuring out what you meant at first.

I recommend instead of the simple "1%, 5%, 25% bad luck" category you change that to "extremely bad luck", "very bad luck", "somewhat bad luck" ... and have a preceding paragraph explaining these categories as pertains to standard deviation. Similar change to the 'good luck' spots of course.

You already are throwing in the idea of standard deviation, so if you're trying not to baffle some people it's already too late?

edit: OK so you already have a preceding section that explains. However, I would still make these changes and for the explanation section, relate it to standard deviation as well as what you have there.

Quote:

1 in 100 bad luck (meaning the chances of winning this much or more is 99%).

that should be "losing this much" methinks. Or something. There's just something not clear with these explanations.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 4919
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
August 26th, 2021 at 3:44:48 AM permalink
With 25% luck, I could win that 25% of the time. With 5% luck, I could win that 5% of the time. With 1% luck, I could win that 1% of the time. But yeah, it's not your normal SD charts.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1496
  • Posts: 26619
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
August 30th, 2021 at 11:34:08 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

How come no craps? Pass/DP with and without odds



Good suggestion. I thought about it, but there are so many ways to play craps that I hate to list just one.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1496
  • Posts: 26619
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
August 30th, 2021 at 2:07:18 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

There's just something not clear with these explanations.



I struggled with how to word what I'm trying to say in plain simple English. I try to avoid the word "luck" as much as I can, but thought it was a simple word that conveyed randomness the general public would understand.

Let's say that in any given game, the chances of losing $12,345.67 or more is 1%. How would you phrase that into a sentence, where the monetary amount is a calculated field.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
mwalz9
mwalz9
  • Threads: 52
  • Posts: 754
Joined: Feb 7, 2012
August 30th, 2021 at 2:23:15 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I struggled with how to word what I'm trying to say in plain simple English. I try to avoid the word "luck" as much as I can, but thought it was a simple word that conveyed randomness the general public would understand.

Let's say that in any given game, the chances of losing $12,345.67 or more is 1%. How would you phrase that into a sentence, where the monetary amount is a calculated field.



"1% chance you will lose this..."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1496
  • Posts: 26619
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
August 30th, 2021 at 3:05:04 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

How come no craps? Pass/DP with and without odds



Okay, Ace, I added pass with 3-4-5x, in your honor.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1496
  • Posts: 26619
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
August 30th, 2021 at 3:05:40 PM permalink
Quote: mwalz9

"1% chance you will lose this..."



Not bad, not bad. I just changed the wording to reflect that. Thank you.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
  • Posts: 9618
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
August 30th, 2021 at 3:48:19 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I struggled with how to word what I'm trying to say in plain simple English. I try to avoid the word "luck" as much as I can, but thought it was a simple word that conveyed randomness the general public would understand.

yes, I think you have to use this word, after thinking about who you are trying to reach

Quote:

Let's say that in any given game, the chances of losing $12,345.67 or more is 1%. How would you phrase that into a sentence, where the monetary amount is a calculated field.

I like my previous suggestion, "extremely bad luck", "very bad luck", "somewhat bad luck" but naturally we like our own ideas. Your current solution will work
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
  • Posts: 9618
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
August 30th, 2021 at 3:54:00 PM permalink
Quote:

99% chance to win this much or less

couldn't this be misinterpreted? seems to me it should progress back down till you get to 1% yet again
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1496
  • Posts: 26619
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
August 30th, 2021 at 3:56:21 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

couldn't this be misinterpreted? seems to me it should progress back down till you get to 1% yet again



I'm not sure I see your point. Can you expand on it?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 11006
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
August 30th, 2021 at 5:29:22 PM permalink
I’m way too much of a casual / recreational player to use, or even understand that calculator. 🤔



Quote: Wizard

I must start serving my four-day suspension today …

Did I miss something? Why were you suspended?

But based on some of your recent hiking / climbing tweets, does a scheduled suspension while you’re basically off the grid anyway even count? 🤪
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ ————————————————————————————————————— Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
  • Posts: 9618
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
August 31st, 2021 at 6:45:34 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm not sure I see your point. Can you expand on it?

to me it suggests the player has a 99% chance to win big money and only a 1% chance to lose big money when actually they are similar in probability, not 99% versus 1%
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
joedol
joedol
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 76
Joined: Mar 7, 2019
August 31st, 2021 at 7:01:01 AM permalink
The word "win" shouldn't be there.
  • Jump to: