troopscott
troopscott
  • Threads: 20
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
April 20th, 2017 at 6:46:07 AM permalink
Been betting the horses since I turned 18. From Kentucky. Just curious if anyone else is actively involved in betting them
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
Thanked by
troopscott
April 20th, 2017 at 12:38:57 PM permalink
2017 Horse Racing thread (it says Kentucky Derby, but usually these threads turn into a de facto horse racing thread).
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 20th, 2017 at 12:49:50 PM permalink
I dabble in handicapping
Its a tough game with about a 25% rake
I was a big Andy Beyer fan back in the day when he wrote a regular column in the Washington Post.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
April 21st, 2017 at 10:33:16 PM permalink
K
Quote: terapined

I dabble in handicapping
Its a tough game with about a 25% rake
I was a big Andy Beyer fan back in the day when he wrote a regular column in the Washington Post.

You don't have to play exotics. If you're really not very good, you probably shouldn't anyways. Win, place, and show is hard enough as it is. I'm thinking of offering a marathon handicapping contest for a small prize each month if there are enough interested.
I am a robot.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
April 21st, 2017 at 11:25:02 PM permalink
I enjoy handicapping/betting the thoroughbred horses. Usually just the big days of racing: Triple Crown, Breeder's Cup, and few days of racing @ Keeneland/Santa Anita/Saratoga during the year.

Quote: onenickelmiracle

KYou don't have to play exotics. If you're really not very good, you probably shouldn't anyways. Win, place, and show is hard enough as it is. I'm thinking of offering a marathon handicapping contest for a small prize each month if there are enough interested.

Marathon (26.2 mile foot race) handicapping is something I have never tried. Sounds interesting...
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
April 21st, 2017 at 11:37:28 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

I enjoy handicapping/betting the thoroughbred horses. Usually just the big days of racing: Triple Crown, Breeder's Cup, and few days of racing @ Keeneland/Santa Anita/Saratoga during the year.

Marathon (26.2 mile foot race) handicapping is something I have never tried. Sounds interesting...

I mean over a longer period of time than just one day. I'll pick three tracks, each day each contestant submits 5 horses for any race at those tracks. I'm not really sure yet how to score it, but I'm looking for consistency and closest to 100% return. It'll be a free roll, so not a big prize, like $25 a month if 5 of the usual suspects play in earnest. So you, drawing dead, Ontariodealer, lilrooster. Etc.

Each race will have a pretend $2 win and $2 place bet for each horse. You could pick up to two horses in a race. I'm thinking the three tracks will be Keeneland, Mountaineer, and another low hold wps track.
I am a robot.
  • Jump to: