Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 15th, 2011 at 7:56:49 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that former president Fox favored legalizing drugs, or at least decriminalizing them. Why did the public not enthusiastically support that idea? Seems to me that would eliminate most of the crime problem overnight. By taxing and regulating narcotics the tax revenues could have been enormous, not to mention the savings from the reduced crime. It seems to be the pros would easily outweigh any cons.

What am I missing?

You're missing the effects of government meddling where it shouldn't meddle.

I favor legalizing drugs. However, it's not that simple. Let's not consider what effect legalization would have on drug consumption, that's a relatively minor concern. Instead let's focus on what it would do to the drug cartels and drug dealers.

For starters drug prices would drop precipitously. Drugs that make millions now would do hundreds of thousands. You'd be left with thousands of violent, armed men with too little money to divide among them, assuming they stayed int eh drug business. Instead they'd branch out into other illegal activities. That's not so bad, as they've already begun to do that (extortion, kidnapping, murder for hire, protection, etc). But the "market" for new crime can't take such an influx right away. So there would be still more violence.

Long story short, in America Prohibition made the mafia rich and more violent. Repealing prohibition drove some of the violence out, but it didn't end the mafia.

Now, my position is that people ought to be free to do as they want as long as they respect the rights of other people. This includes self-destructive actions like doing drugs. Junkies are pathetic, contemptible and pitiful, but they don't usually hurt anyone other than themselves. That's bad, that's very bad, but adding organized crime to the mix doesn't do any good, either.

So for the noble purpose of trying to wipe out drug addiction governments prohibited drugs. As a result we still have addicts and junkies, plus organized crime, drug cartels and violence galore. Thanks a lot.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
October 15th, 2011 at 8:07:53 AM permalink
I'm not saying there would be no negative consequences. Yes, some of the former members of the cartels would turn to other crime, but others would turn to legitimate work or retire. There is an economics of crime, the better it pays, the more people will do it. Lower the benefits of crime and you'll see less of it.

And why shouldn't the government meddle in the business of narcotics? Don't they meddle in cigarettes and alcohol?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 15th, 2011 at 8:27:42 AM permalink

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that former president Fox favored legalizing drugs, or at least decriminalizing them. Why did the public not enthusiastically support that idea? Seems to me that would eliminate most of the crime problem overnight. By taxing and regulating narcotics the tax revenues could have been enormous, not to mention the savings from the reduced crime. It seems to be the pros would easily outweigh any cons.

President Fox voiced that opinion in 2009 and again this year. But the money is in the US market, not the Mexican market. Changing the laws regarding pot smoking in Mexico are not going to remove the criminal element from Mexico. California seems to have introduced a major "medical marijuana" scam to achieve the same ends. Interestingly enough, the same thing was done in Prohibition with "medical whiskey".

One aphorism that I like is "Prohibition succeeded in replacing good beer with bad gin." Certainly large number of Americans in 1920 felt that beer and wine was part of their culture, and prohibition went too far. Had it been limited to simply hard liquor, who knows. It might still be in force today.

Vice is never going away. It may be better to legalize it, tax it, and control it somehow to protect the innocent, and the consumers.

Nareed's point is extremely valid. Once you create the criminal organizations, they will find a way to survive. Deprived of the opportunity to sell pot, they branch into much more horrific activities like kidnapping and murder for hire. The kidnap victims in Mexico frequently do not survive their ordeal, and lose much more than their money.
Nareed
Nareed
October 15th, 2011 at 8:33:59 AM permalink

I'm not saying there would be no negative consequences. Yes, some of the former members of the cartels would turn to other crime, but others would turn to legitimate work or retire. There is an economics of crime, the better it pays, the more people will do it. Lower the benefits of crime and you'll see less of it.

that's true. But you should also consider that many people who turn to crime do so because they lack the skills or intelligence for honest work. Not to mention how well crime pays when you have corrupt police, courts and politicians.

Quote:

And why shouldn't the government meddle in the business of narcotics? Don't they meddle in cigarettes and alcohol?

I really don't want to pick a fight with you :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 15th, 2011 at 9:30:41 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

President Fox voiced that opinion in 2009 and again this year. But the money is in the US market, not the Mexican market. Changing the laws regarding pot smoking in Mexico are not going to remove the criminal element from Mexico. California seems to have introduced a major "medical marijuana" scam to achieve the same ends. Interestingly enough, the same thing was done in Prohibition with "medical whiskey".

Let me go on record as saying I support Fox's position 100%. A also totally support any state legalizing "medical marijuana," even knowing it anybody can get a prescription from a quack doctor. I favor total legalization, but will take what I can get.

Again, I am not claiming that legalizing any illegal drugs will completely eliminate the criminal element. I do claim it would significantly reduce it.

Yes, I knew about "medical whiskey" during Prohibition. That is how Walgreens spread all over the place during the 20s.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 16th, 2011 at 8:43:18 AM permalink
Fecha: 15 de Octobre, 2011
Estado: Baja California
Palabra: Cebra

Today's state is Baja California. I've been to Baja many times, especially between the ages of 18 and 21, when alcohol was legal in Mexico and not California. I would estimate I've been to Baja about 30 times, including about five week-long trips to San Felipe. Of my time in

Mexico, about 90% has been spent in Baja.

Another thing worth noting is the name of the state is Baja California. No "norte."

I thought for a while about a good word for Baja, and decided to go with Cebra, I think the unofficial mascot of Tijuana. I'm sure the locals just laugh, but when we gringos to to TJ it is a custom to take a picture with a so-called zebra. As everyone knows, they are really donkeys painted to look like a zebra. Who thinks of these things?

An easy way to remember this one is to change the Z to a C.

Here are a couple pictures from my own photo album.

Ejempo time

Quiero que viajar Africa durante el temporada de apareamiento de las cebras. = I want to go to Africa during the zebra mating season.
Nareed
Nareed
October 16th, 2011 at 9:04:50 AM permalink

I thought for a while about a good word for Baja, and decided to go with Cebra,

That's odd. I'd have sworn zebra is also spelled zebra in Spanish. I even think that was the picture in the reading book for the letter Z, but I don't really trust my memories of preschool. The dictionary does have a definition for zebra, though. Odd.

Quote:

I'm sure the locals just laugh,

Not quite a local, but yes we do :)

Quote:

Quiero que viajar Africa durante el temporada de apareamiento de las cebras. = I want to go to Africa during the zebra mating season.

Lose the "que" and add an "a" before "Africa". Otherwise you're saying "I want what to go Africa...." And it's "LA temporada." Other than that it's ok.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 16th, 2011 at 10:21:37 AM permalink

Un paso de cebra esta en UK.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 16th, 2011 at 6:49:42 PM permalink
Fecha: 16 de Octobre, 2011
Estado: Baja California Sur
Palabra: Paz

Today's estado is my favorite in all of Mexico. A relaxing, scenic, clean place I enjoy very much, especially San Jose del Cabo. Cabo San Lucas I find to be very touristy and overrated. I'd love to go back, but my wife would only come kicking and screaming.

For today's word we'll go to the capitol La Paz, which means peace. I'm often confusing paz (peace) and pez (live fish), so hopefully this SWD will help me finally quit mixing them up. In case anybody is wondering, the word for dead fish is pescado, which would also be an appropriate word for Baja California Sur, because of the sport-fishing business.

Ejemplo time.

Todos que estamos diciendo es dar paz una oportunidad. = All we are saying is give peace a chance.

Nareed
Nareed
October 16th, 2011 at 7:03:48 PM permalink

Palabra: Cebra

Oops!

Quote:

For today's word we'll go to the capitol La Paz, which means peace.

I get to call you on an English word.

CapitOl: a building group where a legislative body meets.

CapitAl: a city serving as a seat of government.

Now, seeing as a state's capitol is usually located at the state's capital, the words would seem to be interchangeable. It's just that they're not. Further, while the various Mexican states, and the DF, do have legislative bodies, these do not meet in capitols.

Back on topic:

Quote:

Todos que estamos diciendo es dar paz una oportunidad. = All we are saying is give peace a chance.

I never cared for that song.

anyway "Todo LO que estamos diciendo es DEN una oportunidad A LA paz"

Todo = Everything or all
Todos= All of us

So your original comes out as "All of us what we're saying is to give a chance peace." More or less.

• Jump to: