Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 2nd, 2011 at 8:05:11 AM permalink
Fecha: 2 de Octobre, 2011
Palabra: Despistado

Let's try something simple for a change. Today's word means disoriented, distracted, or oblivious to the wide world around. It's one of those words that isn't used much, but is instantly recognizable.

I'll try to one-up Paco and suggest an origin. "Pista" means both track and clue. the prefix "des" means without, usually. For example a boneless chicken breast is called "pechuga deshuesada." Despisatdo therefore means literally clueless or off-track, both instances attributable to distraction, disorientation or obliviousness.

Examples are left as an exercise for the students. (NOTE: one of my all-time favorite teachers admitted she said things like that when she felt too lazy to actually come up with something).
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
October 2nd, 2011 at 8:33:50 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Examples are left as an exercise for the students.

I hate when math books throw out an equation and say the proof is left to the student. Some refer to that as "pulling a Fermat."

Mi ejemplo:

La muchacha quiso hacer sexo con migo. Pero soy demasiado despistado no lo doy cuenta.
= The gal wanted to have sex with me. But I am so clueless I didn't realize it.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
October 2nd, 2011 at 8:53:41 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I hate when math books throw out an equation and say the proof is left to the student. Some refer to that as "pulling a Fermat."

I know the feeling. That's why I added the note...

Quote:

La muchacha quiso hacer sexo con migo. Pero soy demasiado despistado no lo doy cuenta. = The gal wanted to have sex with me. But I am so clueless I didn't realize it.

Not bad, but again you're misusing a few words. "Hacer" in particular means "to make." The right word would be "tener" meaning "to have."

But rather than go word for word, let me offer a correction:

"La chica quiso acostarse conmingo. Pero fuí demasiado despistado y no me dí cuenta"

You had the right words, mostly, but didn't quite use them right.

Anyway, I changed "muchacha" to "chica" because the former tends to mean "maid", or "sirvienta" in Mexico. Not exclusively, but it could seem you said your maid wanted to have sex with you. And for the sake of completeness: "Muchacha" = "Young woman," "chica" = "girl."

"To have sex" gets changed to "acostarse," meaning "to lay down in bed with me," or, in this context, "to sleep with me," because that's the common expression used. You do not hear hear people say "quiero tener sexo con..." or "Ella quiere tener sexo con..." My version is more common. Other acceptable ones would be "tener relaciones" or "dormir conmigo."

Next Your first sentence uses the past tense, while the second uses present tense. I changed the second to past tense as well. So instead of saying "I'm so clueless" ("Soy demasiado despistado") it changes to "I was so clueless" ("fuí demasiado despistado").

How about that? Leaving the work to the student can man more work for me. My teacher never warned me about it.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 2nd, 2011 at 9:15:38 AM permalink
Thanks for all the comments. Acostarse was indeed a word I didn't know. I was pretty much translating "have sex" word for word as best I could.

The present tense was quite deliberate as I am still clueless when it comes to women.
Nareed
Nareed
October 2nd, 2011 at 9:23:26 AM permalink

Thanks for all the comments. Acostarse was indeed a word I didn't know. I was pretty much translating "have sex" word for word as best I could.

I noticed.

BTW, the "have sex" vs "acostarse" may be a Latin thing. Do you recall the song Lady Marmalade? The bit n French means "Would you lay down with me tonight?"

Quote:

The present tense was quite deliberate as I am still clueless when it comes to women.

In what sense?

I mean men plainly don't understand women, and viceversa. But I get the feeling you're not just admitting to the common state of affairs.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 2nd, 2011 at 9:41:35 AM permalink

I mean men plainly don't understand women, and viceversa. But I get the feeling you're not just admitting to the common state of affairs.

Tienes razón. Let's just leave it at that.
Nareed
Nareed
October 2nd, 2011 at 10:56:41 AM permalink

Tienes razón. Let's just leave it at that.

Bueno.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 2nd, 2011 at 2:29:24 PM permalink

BTW, the "have sex" vs "acostarse" may be a Latin thing. Do you recall the song Lady Marmalade? The bit n French means "Would you lay down with me tonight?"

I think that is a good theory. The English word "lie" existed for many centuries, but the phrase "lie with" only acquired the meaning of "have sex with" until well after the Norman Invasion, and French words were widely introduced into English.

Phrases like "do it" or "do me" have only existed for about a century. The word "screw" was slang for a prostitute for 3 centuries, but "screw" as a verb meaning to have sex is also about a 100 years old. The acronym Fornication Under the King is made up, as acronyms didn't exist in the middle ages. The actual verb is very old, and of uncertain origin (despite tremendous efforts to trace it).

In your previous example, I am not sure which of the following three phrases to use. I am always aware of using (1) because it implies some kind of permanent condition, instead of a mere quirk. I think (3) implies more that "I am confused" and makes the full sentence less understandable.
(1) soy demasiado despistado
(2) estoy demasiado despistado
(3) estoy muy despistado
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
October 2nd, 2011 at 4:55:10 PM permalink

Do you recall the song Lady Marmalade? The bit n French means "Would you lay down with me tonight?"

My French is almost as bad as my Spanish -- one or two mispronounced sentences as opposed to one or two words. I always wondered why the song line "Voulez-vous ...." was in the plural (or formal) form. The context of the song doesn't seem to suggest a group-sex event, and the topic seems more appropriate for a "familiar" verb form: "Veux-tu ....", I think. Would native speakers say this expression the way it is in the song?

(For those not tracking this, the lyrics Nareed was referring to are:
Quote: Patti LaBelle (1975) and several covers, including Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mýa, and Pink (2001)

Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?
Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?

Nareed
Nareed
October 2nd, 2011 at 5:39:38 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I think that is a good theory.

Hypothesis. But thanks. In any case it's based on two examples, which isn't much.

Quote:

In your previous example, I am not sure which of the following three phrases to use. I am always aware of using (1) because it implies some kind of permanent condition, instead of a mere quirk. I think (3) implies more that "I am confused" and makes the full sentence less understandable.
(1) soy demasiado despistado
(2) estoy demasiado despistado
(3) estoy muy despistado

Overall you'd say "soy despistado," either "muy" or "tan" (roughly "too" and "so"), rather than "estoy depsistado." t's more a quality you posses, how you are, rather than something that comes and goes.

• Jump to: