Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
September 26th, 2011 at 8:11:18 AM permalink
Quote: Curious55

Hola Wizard,
Hablando de Ramona, no se debe confundir Ramona Cabrera y ramera cabrona :)

I don't know who or what that is, but I was referring to a book about a girl named Ramona.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 26th, 2011 at 9:05:57 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I don't know who or what that is, but I was referring to a book about a girl named Ramona.

Es un chiste verde.

Note that Spanish tell Green jokes, while English tells blue jokes. The equivalent kind of humor in English would be the following joke. The Spanish joke is a little shorter and slightly more vulgar.

Quote: A Dog named Sex

When I went to City Hall to renew my dog's license I told the clerk I wanted a license for Sex. He said, "I'd like one too!" Then I said, "But this is a dog." He said he didn't care what she looked like. Then I said, "You don't understand. I've had Sex since I was nine years old." He winked at me and said, "You must have been quite a kid."

When I got married and went on my honeymoon I took my dog with me. I told the hotel clerk I wanted a room for my wife and myself, and a special room for Sex. He said, "You don't need a special room for Sex. As long as you pay your bill, we don't care what you do." I said, "Look, you don't seem to understand. Sex keeps me awake at night." The clerk said, "Funny, I have the same problem."

Well, one day I entered Sex in a contest but before the competition began the dog got loose and ran away. Another contestant asked me why I was just standing there looking disappointed. I told him I had planned to have Sex in the contest. He said, "Wonderful! If you sell tickets you'll clean up!" "But you don't understand", I said. "I want to have Sex on TV." He said, "They already have that on Cable. It's no big deal any more."

Well my wife and I decided to separate, so we went to court to fight for custody of the dog. I said to the judge, "Your Honor, I had Sex before I was married." The Judge said, "The courtroom is not a confessional. Please stick to the facts." Then I told him that after I was married Sex left me. He said, "Me too."

Well last night Sex ran away again, and I spent hours looking all over for him. A cop came over to me and asked, What are you doing in this alley at four o'clock in the morning?" I said, "I'm looking for Sex."

My case comes up soon.

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 26th, 2011 at 9:54:43 AM permalink

Soy muy sensible, entonces no pisotear mis sentimientos. = I'm very sensitive, so don't hurt my feelings.

You were doing well with verbs...

"Soy muy sendible, por favor no pisotEES mis sentimientos."

Quote:

Questions for the experts: Would you use pisotear in the context of stamping around with your feet. For example, if you wanted to tell a child to not play in your flower garden, might you use pisotear?

No. You'd tell the child "No pises las flores" = "Don't step on the flowers."

Pisotear means something more logn the lines of "to stomp" on something, or, as you noted, to trample something.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
September 26th, 2011 at 10:02:35 AM permalink

It's what passes for popular witty word play in Spanish. If it's not dirty it's not deemed funny. Usually it's vulgar, too.
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 26th, 2011 at 1:37:09 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

It's what passes for popular witty word play in Spanish. If it's not dirty it's not deemed funny. Usually it's vulgar, too.

Well, in that youtube link that I gave above, she starts telling the joke around 3:00 and dlelivers the punchline about 3:40. It seems to break up the audience.
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 26th, 2011 at 1:37:11 PM permalink

Well, in that youtube link that I gave above, she starts telling the joke around 3:00 and dlelivers the punchline about 3:40. It seems to break up the audience.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
September 26th, 2011 at 2:47:52 PM permalink

You were doing well with verbs...

"Soy muy sendible, por favor no pisotEES mis sentimientos."

I should have got that. I thought that I already conjugated ser, so I didn't need to do it again, but I agree it hard to justify.

About that video, I watched about three minutes, but it went by too fast for me. Sounded like I heard montaña ruso in there towards the beginning.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
September 26th, 2011 at 3:09:50 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I can't watch youtube at work.

anyway, I'm sure it broke up the audience. That doens't change the vulgarity inherent in such jokes. and that's not even the problem. What bothers me is the tacit assumption that word play is not funny if it's not dirty and crude.

This seems to be something peculiar to mexico, though, as I've heard good, clean word play elsewhere, like:

"Cuando Mastropiero viajó a los Estados Unidos dispuesto a componer música para cine, dos hechos le produjeron fuerte impacto. El primero fué la imponencia de los estudios de Hollywood. Deciddio a triunfar, Mastropiero fué a la productora más importante de todas. Quería entrar por la puerta grande. La puerta grande estaba cerrada.... y ese fué el segundo impacto.

Mastropiero fué recibido, de cualquier manera.... Mastropiero fué recibido de cualquier manera."
Curious55
Curious55
  • Threads: 2
September 26th, 2011 at 11:38:34 PM permalink
Una pregunta:
"Porque la bola rueda ?"
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 27th, 2011 at 2:44:37 AM permalink

Hola,
Yes , Dia is masculine.

El dia, el planeta, el turista, el problema are masculine words ending in "a"
La mano is a feminine word ending by "o"

and ....

El agua is a feminine word needing.... El

:)))

Las palabras 'agua', 'arca', 'hambre', 'arpa' son diferente. Las palabras son feminina pero necesitan la palabra 'el' para la artículo.

Why is that Wizard? What gender are the following nouns?

a) el hombre
b) el hambre

Which of the following is correct?

a) los hombres
b) las hombres
c) los arpas
d) las arpas

Una pregunta:
"Porque la bola rueda ?"

No sé. Porque?

• Jump to: