Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 16th, 2012 at 8:08:27 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Today's SWD means to brag/show off/swagger.

While I find out whether I'm suspended and for how long, I'll do a short lecture:

Writen and spoken versions of the same language are themselves different languages. This is all the more so in a sciety with deep, conscious divisions based on class. Those who write tend to be pompous about it and to use "Big Words" in order to show off their erudition, and to distance themselves from the masses who might as well be iliterate (they're not, of course, but that's another topic).

Therefore in editorials, letters to the editor, books and book translations, you will come across words and phrasings that you'd never meet in real life, or even in TV shows and movies. And when you do, it's meant to poke fun at the pretentious of the literate snobs. This is more or less true in every Spanish-speaking countries.

To add to the confussion, word use varies among countries, and among regions within countries. So in your translations you'll come across words that are just not in wide use. Such as the one you picked for today, wich BTW probably comes from the word "pavorreal" meaning "peacock." "Pavo" means "turkey."

To exemplify, you may recall a scene in a movie about a baseball game-fixing scandal, where a heart-broken little boy comes up to a player and implores "Say it ain't so, Joe!" Now, the literate snobs I mentioned would render that as "Refute these calumnies, Joseph!"

Quote:

Tengo calor viendo Ginger pavonearte en toda la isla. = I'm getting hot watching Ginger swagger all over the island.

"...pavonearSe," or even "pavoneÁNDOSe." And you should put an "a" before Ginger.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
August 16th, 2012 at 11:30:37 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Writen and spoken versions of the same language are themselves different languages. This is all the more so in a sciety with deep, conscious divisions based on class. Those who write tend to be pompous about it and to use "Big Words" in order to show off their erudition, and to distance themselves from the masses who might as well be iliterate

It seems to me that this word is perfect to describe the type of person you are talking about. Vain, ostentatious, and someone who is pumped up (like a peacock). Or are you saying that if you use the word you will sound like someone the word is describing?

A similar word in English is probably splendiloquent which literally means "splendidly eloquent". If you use the word, people are unlikely to find you splendidly eloquent, but are more likely to think you are pompous.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
August 17th, 2012 at 8:03:13 AM permalink
Fecha: 17-8-12
Palabra: Quinceañera

Nuestro maestra leal esta prohibito, entonces voy a escriber mas en Español, sin temor de un montón de correcciónes.

Hoy es la quinceañera de mi hija mayor. Una quinceañera es una fiesta cuando una chica tiene quience años. Por supuesto, es celebrado en países Latinas, y aquí para familias Latinas. Aquí creo que el nivel de gasto subiría a esto de una boda. Por esto, tengo alegre que no la casé una mujer Latina.

Gracías por aguantan mi Español horrible. Por favor, repuestas en Español solomente cuando Nareed esta desaparecido.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 17th, 2012 at 8:51:01 AM permalink
Nuestro maestro de leales se ha ido, así que voy a escribir más en español, sin temor a un montón de correcciones.

Hoy es fiesta de quince años de mi hija mayor. Una quinceañera es una celebración cuando una chica tiene quince años. Por supuesto que se celebra en los países de América, y aquí en los Estados Unidos para las familias latinas. Aquí creo que el nivel de gasto se elevaría a esto en una boda. Para ello, me alegro de que no estoy casado con una mujer latina.

Gracias por aguantar mi pésimo español. Por favor, conteste sólo en español cuando Nareed se ha ido.

La Quinceañera es una vez en un evento de toda la vida, para ser valorada siempre.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 17th, 2012 at 10:04:59 AM permalink
Gracías por corregiendo mi Español, pero tienes diversíon y escribirás algo que quieres decir en Español.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
August 17th, 2012 at 10:06:10 AM permalink
No lo entiendo "quince" frente a "quience", tal como se utiliza tanto por el Wizard y Paco. Tampoco Google Translate.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 17th, 2012 at 10:57:44 AM permalink
La palabra "quience" está mal escrito. La palabra es "quince".
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 17th, 2012 at 3:01:38 PM permalink
Mas informacíon de la costumbres de la: quinceañera.

A veces, la quinceañera es la primera vez la chica se puede bailar con chicos y llever zapatos con talcones altos.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 18th, 2012 at 1:05:01 PM permalink
Mi idea que charlamos en Español no era una éxito grande. Entonces, volveremos el camino habitual.

Fecha: 18-8-12
Palabra: Traguear

Today's SWD means to drink. We already have beber and tomar, what do we need another word for "drink" for? Hopefully the advanced readers can explain how traguear is different from the other two. Reverso seems to indicate that in some countries traguear means to get "sloshed." If my English is correct, "sloshed" means drunk, but alcohol had nothing to do with the word in the context I found today's SWD.

Ejemplo time.

Gilligan, quiero traguear algo. Traeme una vaso de leche de coco. = Gilligan, I want to drink something. Bring me a class of coconut milk.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 19th, 2012 at 8:34:00 AM permalink
Fecha: 19-8-12
Palabra: Aullar

Today's SWD means to yell/howl.

Ejemplo time.

Me gusta aullar y llevar un palo pequeño. = I like to yell and carry a small stick.

• Jump to: