Thread Rating:

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
August 10th, 2012 at 4:36:27 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Despilfarrar
The question for the advanced readers is to compare today's SWD to the English "pilfer" for a common root.

Sorry: false cognate. The words 'pilfer' and 'despilfarrar' are not related.

The related English word would be "plush" which is "felpa" in Italian. Spanish picked it up with the same spelling, "felpa" as a noun, with "felpar" as a verb (meaning to cover in plush). The word morphed into wasting or squandering presumably by analogy of covering it with something useless.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1390
August 10th, 2012 at 5:13:23 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The related English word would be "plush" ....

Good work nonetheless!

Quote: Nareed

"Mi calificación en el examen es UN bochorno."

Calificación was a correction to my use of the word nota for grade. Although that is how my book translated a grade on a test, it should be noted that Spanish television here has been calling an Olympic diving score as a calificación.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 10th, 2012 at 7:17:49 PM permalink

Calificación was a correction to my use of the word nota for grade.

I don't make up the language. I just make use of it.

Quote:

Although that is how my book translated a grade on a test, it should be noted that Spanish television here has been calling an Olympic diving score as a calificación.

You can use "nota" for "grade." But it's rare and "nota" has too many other meanings.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
August 11th, 2012 at 9:48:04 AM permalink
Fecha: 10-8-12
Palabra: Palomitas de maíz

You might think today's SWD means little pigeons of corn, but it actually refers to popcorn. Yes, the word paloma means pigeon or dove. I suppose they get this expression because a piece of popcorn does look kind of like a pigeon flying.

Ejemplo time.

Yo siempre compro palomitas de maiz in el tamaño del cubo de caballo en el cine, por que él sólo cuesta un dólar más que el tamaño más pequeño. = I always buy the horse bucked size of popcorn at the movies, because it costs only a dollar more than the smallest size.

Note: Of course, I always overeat and feel sick afterward, but I just can't resist an economy of scale.
Nareed
Nareed
August 11th, 2012 at 10:19:48 AM permalink

Yes, the word paloma means pigeon or dove.

I thought that meant "rat with wings."

Anyway, it also means moth, a check mark, and a hand-made firecracker.

Quote:

Yo siempre compro palomitas de maiz in el tamaño del cubo de caballo en el cine, por que él sólo cuesta un dólar más que el tamaño más pequeño. = I always buy the horse bucked size of popcorn at the movies, because it costs only a dollar more than the smallest size.

The "Yo" is redundant. "IN" is not a Spanish word. You shouldn't use the word "tamaño" twice in one sentence. Using horse bucket to indicate size wouldn't work in Spanish, either. Lastly, few people will bother to say "palomitas de maíz," preferring to simply say "palomitas."

Try: "Siempre compro las palomitas más grandes en el cine, porque solo cuestaN un dolar más que la medianas."

Quote:

Note: Of course, I always overeat and feel sick afterward, but I just can't resist an economy of scale.

A huge bucket of fresh popcorn drenched in faux butter is about the only thing I miss about the movies.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
August 11th, 2012 at 11:56:19 AM permalink

The "Yo" is redundant.

I thought one could throw in a "yo" for emphasis.

Quote:

"IN" is not a Spanish word.

Oops. I forgot to translate that.

Quote:

You shouldn't use the word "tamaño" twice in one sentence.

It is bad style in English too. I didn't see that.

Quote:

Using horse bucket to indicate size wouldn't work in Spanish, either.

Why not? Is it that nobody thought to give a horse water from a big bucket? Or do they just not have those enormous popcorn containers at movie theaters in Spanish-speaking countries?

Quote:

A huge bucket of fresh popcorn drenched in faux butter is about the only thing I miss about the movies.

I always tell them "please put on one third the normal amount of butter," but the zitty-faced teenagers working the concession stand never seem to understand what "one third" means.
Nareed
Nareed
August 11th, 2012 at 12:37:30 PM permalink

I thought one could throw in a "yo" for emphasis.

It's not wrong, strictly speaking. But it's like saying "I, myself, always buy...." Spanish affords more opportunities for such redundancies and other types of grammatical and semantic mistakes.

See if you can tell me what's wrong with this sign I spotted: "Calcetines especiales para diabéticos de algodón." I find that translating the mistake into English is hard.

Quote:

Why not? Is it that nobody thought to give a horse water from a big bucket?

The simile isn't there. And it's not like caring for horses is something most people in this Century come across often; I dare say most of us don't come across it at all.

Quote:

Or do they just not have those enormous popcorn containers at movie theaters in Spanish-speaking countries?

I haven't been to the movies in over two years. But I think portions here tend to be smaller. FYI, that helps not at all in preventing obesity, should Nanny Bloomberg happen to be reading this forum.

Quote:

I always tell them "please put on one third the normal amount of butter," but the zitty-faced teenagers working the concession stand never seem to understand what "one third" means.

Oh, if you want less you should request "no butter."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
August 11th, 2012 at 2:15:36 PM permalink

Calcetines especiales para diabéticos de algodón."

Going word for word, I would say "Special socks for diabetics of cotton." However, I assume what they meant was "Special socks for people allergic to cotton."

Speaking of which, what is the difference between calcetínes y medias? The dictionaries say the former is a sock and the latter a stocking. However, I've seen sock translated in calcetínes before.
Nareed
Nareed
August 11th, 2012 at 4:32:02 PM permalink

Going word for word, I would say "Special socks for diabetics of cotton." However, I assume what they meant was "Special socks for people allergic to cotton."

As written it means "Special socks for diabetics made of cotton."

What it intends to mean is "Cotton socks made special for diabetics."

I've no idea how socks for diabetics differ from regular socks, or how you came up with allergic.

Quote:

Speaking of which, what is the difference between calcetínes y medias? The dictionaries say the former is a sock and the latter a stocking.

That's exactly the difference.

Quote:

However, I've seen sock translated in calcetínes before.

I think you mean "medias." I've seen that used, too. It's one of life's mysteries. Like why Spaniards call white beans "judías."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
August 11th, 2012 at 4:40:25 PM permalink

I've no idea how socks for diabetics differ from regular socks, or how you came up with allergic.

I don't know that much about diabetes, but why would they need different socks? All the diabetics I've known wore the some clothes everyone else did. However, some people are allergic to cotton, for which I could see using socks made from something else.

• Jump to: