Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
August 1st, 2012 at 8:49:04 PM permalink
Fecha: 2-8-12
Palabra: despistar

According to the dictionary, today's SWD has various usages, but they all more or less mean to get confused. How does it differs from confudir? I think despistar means to get confused yourself, and confudir means to confuse somebody else.

Ejemplo time.

El Mago me despistó cuando trató explicar cómo jugar craps. = The Wizard confused me when he tried to explain how to play craps.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 2nd, 2012 at 6:58:56 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

According to the dictionary, today's SWD has various usages, but they all more or less mean to get confused.

It means something more like "to be thrown off the track", or "to lose track." It can mean "clueless," too.

As used, it tends to describe a state rather than an action, so:

Quote:

El Mago me despistó cuando trató explicar cómo jugar craps. = The Wizard confused me when he tried to explain how to play craps.

"Sigo despistado en craps por más que el Mago me explique como jugar." = "I'm still clueless about craps despite the Wizard's explanations on how to play."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 2nd, 2012 at 8:26:49 PM permalink
Thanks for the above. In case anyone is wondering, sigo is the first person present tense of seguir.

Fecha: 3-8-12
Palabra: Furgon

Today's SWD means pick up truck, van or station wagon. I think in the south-west US you would more likely to hear troca, but my former tutor, who couldn't stand Spanglish, said that word made the hair on the back of her neck stand up.

If you want to say a small truck you can go with furgoneta.

Ejemplo time.

Mi furgoneta se quedó sin gasolina. = My pick-up truck is out of gas.
Nareed
Nareed
August 3rd, 2012 at 6:57:57 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Today's SWD means pick up truck, van or station wagon.

I think we've been through this, but maybe not with this particular word.

In Mexico the word used is "camioneta." BTW if you ever see a station wagon outside of a museum let me know ;)
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
August 3rd, 2012 at 7:37:54 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

BTW if you ever see a station wagon outside of a museum let me know ;)

It's possible that in Mexico city all public transportation is done via buses. You've made your opinion of buses fairly clear, so I imagine you mostly drive or take the subway.

In small cities they have a crossbreed between bus and taxi called "taxi de la ruta". It resembles a bus in that it follow a specific route, but it resembles a taxi ( or a 2nd class bus) in that they will stop and pick up anyone on the route, not just people at bus stops. Fare is slightly higher than bus fare (in Tijuana it was usually close to a dollar).

The vehicle of choice in TJ was the old fashioned station wagon (color coded). Finally the city decided to retire these taxis in favor of a all buses (and possibly a rail system for the main routes). There were huge protests as some of the drivers had never had another job.

Also in Oaxaca a private system of vans was widely used. They tended to go on the routes where 2nd class buses go, but were considerably faster (usually not making the intermediate stops). A popular route was to the beach which was over the mountain. The first class buses took the main route and took 7 hours. The 2nd class buses would go over the mountain, a much shorter distance, but would also take 7 hours. The Vans would careen over the mountain and do the trip in 4 hours. BTW it was 80 miles "flying distance" from the city to the beach.
Nareed
Nareed
August 3rd, 2012 at 9:31:45 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

It's possible that in Mexico city all public transportation is done via buses.

Don't I wish!

Quote:

You've made your opinion of buses fairly clear, so I imagine you mostly drive or take the subway.

Lately I drive or take cabs. The subway's fine, more or less, but not convenient wher I'm located.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 3rd, 2012 at 12:15:08 PM permalink

Lately I drive or take cabs. The subway's fine, more or less, but not convenient wher I'm located.

I kind of figured the "taxis de la ruta" was more a small town small city transportation.

Do you live in or near Tlalnepantla de Baz or Naucalpan? I think those are the only municipios Northwest of DF.

Nareed
Nareed
August 3rd, 2012 at 2:51:48 PM permalink

I kind of figured the "taxis de la ruta" was more a small town small city transportation.

I've never heard of them.

Quote:

Do you live in or near Tlalnepantla de Baz or Naucalpan? I think those are the only municipios Northwest of DF.

I've lived in Naucalpan. But I work in the "city" proper, too, and have no convenient subway stations near the office. There are stations nearby, they're just not conenient.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 3rd, 2012 at 5:07:41 PM permalink

I've never heard of them.

Here is a picture. It is color coded to a route. It's a very inefficient transport system, which TJ may have abandoned by now.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 3rd, 2012 at 6:40:39 PM permalink

Finally the city decided to retire these taxis in favor of a all buses (and possibly a rail system for the main routes).

Where does this TJ rail system stand now? I find getting around Tijuana very confusing, and pretty much learned to park on the US side and rely on taxis.

Quote:

There were huge protests as some of the drivers had never had another job.

Tough! I admit I don't know much about Mexican politics but since when is employment guaranteed for life in a capitalist economy? I have a feeling if talks ever got close to extending the LV monorail to the airport there would be a lot of hand wringing about the taxi drivers that would lose jobs. Find other job, for crying out loud! Are we supposed to hold up progress because somebody might be out of job?

• Jump to: